Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 12th, 2012  (Read 5392 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, October 12th, 2012
« on: October 12, 2012, 08:44:13 PM »

Welcome to another  Journal on Fishing with Rod, your top fishing web site in the North West for fishing information, tips, educational videos, pictures, tall tails and much more.

I awoke to a slight drizzle as the clock reached the 5 o'clock hour, quite a change from the long dry spell we have experience this summer and fall. I, along with, I am sure the salmon were pleased to hear and see the patter of the rain drops dimpling the water above them as it will now quicken and ease their migration that lays ahead.

Some breakfast devoured along with a cup of coffee and I see daylight was now breaking as I headed to "The Glove", I see Chris getting ready to fish this area so after a quick visit with both of us anxious to start fishing we parted as I had decided to try a new run this morning. I see as I arrive that it had only 3 anglers there, all fly guys. Not sure if the Maple Leaf Drennan scared them away but before I started fishing 2 moved to another run with another following. There was lots of room and would not have been too crowded.

The run looks nice and the odd fish shows itself, chum. Another angler moves in but is fishing too deep with the float laying on its side, a sign of doing the floss. He is quickly into a couple of fish both are lost. I miss 2 fish before I land 2 chum a hen and a buck. More anglers arrive and are also into a number of chum.

I had agreed to meet Nick at 10:30 to head to a run he had some success recently so I packed up but not before cleaning up the beach of some garbage and score a few floats and beer tins that litter the Canal's bottom. I also meet another chap from the forum and we have a visit for a bit.

I also see Chris R before I leave, to meet "The Master", Chris is still  at "The Glove' and has had a few bites, "jacks" he says and also adds he also lost a coho in the roots that litter "The Glove"

I stop at McDonald for a quick snack before I meet Nick and we then head to the new "Hot Spot".

We have the whole run, on our side to ourselves, with some others on the right bank. They are doing the floss. When they see Nick hooking fish one of the chaps asks Nick how and what he is fishing with. Nick, always willing to help explains the way to short float, the fellow seems keen to learn but in a short time he is back to the sweep which does catch them a nice coho and some buck chum. Nick had told him float sitting straight up, use good roe and fish a couple of feet off the river bottom

As usual Nick out fished me and I do a couple of short video clips of the action. He ends up with 4 landed, 3 kept, a few lost and more missed. I get one bite that I miss clean. Its lunch time so we head out to Vedder Crossing and keeping in the fishing theme of the day we both have fish and chips.

Here is the video clips and I also will have some pictures on the Fraser Valley Salmon Society Facebook page later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9hz_STGKDc&feature=share&list=UU_4LtEFjHj-ulBHuoq6COmQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSV5KEYvi5Y&feature=share&list=UU_4LtEFjHj-ulBHuoq6COmQ

After lunch Nick heads home and I go to town to take out a Chilliwack Progress ad for the used tackle sale set for Nov. 3.

It's then off for an hour nap before I go to "The Glove" for last light, on the flood tide. Another angler I know is there too and we get lots of bites and we can not figure why we keep missing them be the bite is very light. We do find out as I land one peamouth chub and the other angler 2, there must have been a school of them as the little devils keep robbing our bait. I also do finally connect with a jack but I lose it.

As darkness closes in around us we pack up and head out as the waves of migrating fish are now growing, as the water around "The Glove' deepens, the salmon are all anxious to head upstream under the cloak of darkness as their urge to move increases especially with the welcome addition of the rain that we anglers also welcome.

Have a good weekend all, see you out there, enjoy the resource but all respect your quarry and the environment.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 09:08:00 PM by chris gadsden »

milo

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, October 12th, 2012
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 08:57:26 PM »

Great report, Chris.

Tex and I had a blast on the fly today waaay upstream.  ;)

Caught so many coho today that I had to release a big hatchery buck. On any other day, it would have been a trophy fish, but today it was just surplus.  
The bite was absolutely phenomenal once we figured out the one and only fly that coho simply couldn't resist today.

Our fly rods outfished the gear crowd 5 : 1 today.

Thanks Tex for the drive and the company. A day for the books, for sure!  

Oh, and we got as far from KWB as we could.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 09:04:52 PM »

Great report, Chris.

Caught so many coho today that I had to release a big hatchery buck. On any other day, it would have been a trophy fish, but today it was just surplus.  
The bite was absolutely phenomenal once we figured out the one and only fly that coho simply couldn't resist today.

Nice, we saw you. ;D ;D

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 09:22:53 PM »

I woke up early (9) and managed to get there by noon. Fished the "Walley ring road" and ended up with two wild ones. Always get the best parking spot at the boat launch by showing up early. ;) Went to the pub to debrief on half price appies.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 09:33:00 PM »

nice journal chris!
Milo and tex, congratulation on your day! sounds like you guys had a blast with the fly rod. I had similar day about 4 yrs ago on a different flow. ill never forget it. i put myself to bed sometimes thinking of that day! :D but it wasn't on the fly... you will have to teach me one day Milo...

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 10:17:05 PM »

but it wasn't on the fly... you will have to teach me one day Milo...

You'll just have to come back out to the island... fly fishing will be unreal starting this monday...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 10:23:06 PM »

You'll just have to come back out to the island... fly fishing will be unreal starting this monday...
Keep you head in the books. ;D ;D

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 10:38:47 PM »

Great report, Chris.

no photos? how do we know you're not just bragging milo, right? after all that's what you say when others don;t show photos.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 10:56:48 PM »

no photos? how do we know you're not just bragging milo, right? after all that's what you say when others don;t show photos.

LOL!  ;D I only said that once to tease someone on the forum.

Today I had no camera on me, but Tex did.
He may have taken some pics, but I don't think I want them uploaded.
It's taken me a lot of legwork to find this spot and I am keeping it to myself and my closest buddies.

And frankly, the river is so full of fish it doesn't take a rocket scientist to catch a few coho in frog water.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 11:21:45 PM »

i may be coming in early november! id love to do that all over again! I still remember how cold we were that day. I have never been colder while fishing.

why monday?rain?river closed till then?

Brian the fisherman

Chilliwack River, October 12th 2012
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 11:51:34 PM »

hit the river early this mornin ( oct 12 ) at a very productive hole. had the entire run to my self for first light and only one other angler made a show at 730. Very nice fellow helped me land a very acrobatic buck and i landed 2 more hatch coho and released 4 wild coho. just could not hit my limit. Caught the biggest spring this year, high 30#  took me a good 10- 15 min to get the buck to shore, could not fit my hand around the tail of the fish and released it after letting it rest from the tussle i put it through. The rain sure did bring some monster size spring in as the other fellow kept a doe weighting in the low 40# on a digital scale.  He was kind enough to share the roe with me as we both walked out with 3 fish, 2 coho and a spring for him and my coho made for good morning as we headed for coffee talk at timmies.

the rest of the afternoon was spent at a wedding of a good friend of mine, drinks and drinks and more drinks later. Just got home, and will smoke the coho soon

can't wait for tomorrows fishing. hopefully our spot will be clear of anyone as it was this morning.
I will keep searching for this "the glove" that Chris speaks so fondly of.
Hope to see you out there Chris, tight lines to all and more rain for all  ;D
Tight lines to all

Old Blue

Chilliwack River, October 12th 2012
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 08:38:59 AM »

Wow Brian, now that sounds like a great day.  Jealous of everyone fishing while I'm working in Ontario.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 12:39:32 PM »

i may be coming in early november! id love to do that all over again! I still remember how cold we were that day. I have never been colder while fishing.

why monday?rain?river closed till then?

Last year it was good with some 25-30 fish days up until Nov 1st, then the river blew out and I never went back. This year the run seems quite late, just started seeing some fish in the river the other day when last year I was seeing them in September already, so it might be good later this year.

Last year was also better with spoons, so if you come bring a spoon rod.

And Monday, because the river is the lowest I have ever seen it, and we just received a decent amount of rain yesterday and last night, and suppose to rain all day today and tomorrow.

prairiefire

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 09:32:26 PM »

Would sure love to know what that is.  ;)
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 09:40:42 PM »

Would sure love to know what that is.  ;)
Me too and why they like a little fly that is just a bunch of feathers. over our delicious roe. ;D ;D