Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Switch Rod setup  (Read 15943 times)

nickredway

• Old Timer
Re: Switch Rod setup
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 10:33:22 PM »

I would get rid of the versatip, it's a single hand line and if you got the 9 weight it will be way too light for a 9 weight switch and no good for spey casting. For spey casting fishing heavy tips and bigger flies you will need a compact or switch skagit line or for smaller flies and lighter tips a compact/ short scandi line. The skagit is not much use for two handed overhead casting (you will not be able to single hand that rod comfortably for long), the Scandi would be ok or maybe a 10 or 11 weight Rio Outbound. If you are targeting springs and chum I would get a compact skagit head, you will also need this to chuck tips and big flies for steelies in the winter. I can't find a grain window for that rod but 575 to 625 grains should be about right for a 9 weight switch but you should email Cabelas and see what they say. You will also need to buy a running line to attach the head to and some material to make some tips out of, am sure Michael and Young could hook you up with all the info you need, there is quite a bit to get your head round at the start.

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 06:25:24 PM »

I bought the Allen Alpha II reel!
i found the 480 skagit head felt most balanced on my rod compared to the 450 and 510. as for the running line, i had to improvise and use a 6wt floating fly line, the thickness felt similar to my friends airflo ridge running line and i felt it casted just fine. what do you guys think of using an old 6 wt floating line as a running line?

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 07:39:03 PM »

Setup was fine this weekend. Was able to turn a few fish on it too

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 04:58:10 PM »

Ssypark - just go buy yourself some Slickshooter running line, its only $10 and will be way better than a 6wt floating line and will cast alot nicer too OR you can spend more money and buy an even better running like, I myself use the .021 SA running line and its wicked  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 06:00:57 PM »

I bought the Allen Alpha II reel!
i found the 480 skagit head felt most balanced on my rod compared to the 450 and 510. as for the running line, i had to improvise and use a 6wt floating fly line, the thickness felt similar to my friends airflo ridge running line and i felt it casted just fine. what do you guys think of using an old 6 wt floating line as a running line?
It will work better if you cut of the head portion of the old 6 weight and just use the running line portion if that makes sense.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 06:04:22 PM by nickredway »

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 12:04:02 AM »

It will work better if you cut of the head portion of the old 6 weight and just use the running line portion if that makes sense.

i was thinking of attaching the head portion to the backing. do you think the running line portion will be long enough for spey casting?

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 08:18:27 AM »

That should work if you have room on the reel.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 04:56:31 PM »

why even bother ? i have fished both shooting heads and full spey lines and the shooting head/running line setup always casts farther and nicer, yes the fly line is easier to strip in but after about 10 casts you get used to the running line and there is no more issue of it feeling too thin

to me screwing around with an old fly line isnt worth my time when i can get something designed for the same use for so cheap. remember i said Slickshooter is only $10 !!  ::)
Check out our new blog

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 09:15:10 PM »

And it feels like it costs 10 dollars give me a proper running line or integrated line any day.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 09:39:01 PM »

I was under the assumption he is cost cutting by hacking up an old 6wt line to use as running line. my dad uses Slickshooter and it casts nice but im not a huge fan after trying it on his rod several times. I have had several other kinds on different rods over a few years.

best so far gas been the SA .021 running line and its not cheap but also not the most expensive stuff. I have used a very expensive running line and this stuff is still way better

http://buy.scientificanglers.com/lines/shooting-lines/floating-monofilament-1.html

im sure there is some even newer designed stuff that i havent tried, reason i havent is because there is no need until this stuff snaps or wears out  ;)
Check out our new blog

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 08:03:41 PM »

I ended up getting Airflo ridgeline running line, and 480 gr compact shooting head for my rod. its all complete and im loving how it feels. my rod is a little slower in action for a #8-9 and i might even try a 450 gr.
thanks everyone for their input and tight lines.

crazypop

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 04:16:56 PM »

I got the 8 wt scott switch. Rio Versitip and it casts like a dream...when I do it right.