Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Switch Rod setup  (Read 15944 times)

Ssypark

• addicted
Switch Rod setup
« on: October 03, 2012, 09:16:51 AM »

Hey guys,
I am planning to get ready for the salmon/steelhead season coming up and want to get my first switch rod (7wt). I am looking to spend under $500 for a new setup.
After some research, I found the TFO Deer Creek series, and Echo SR to be quite appealing. For the reel, i was looking at the Lamson Konic, or Echo Ion? as for the line, im pretty set on getting the airflo ridgeline (20lb) running line with a 450 grain skagit switch shooting head. im mainly looking to swing flies and some indicator fishing. I have also seen a Rod and reel combo by Rugged Creek.com that comes out to $299! Someone also told me to look into building my own rod to save some $$.

Am i going in the right direction? anyone hear about the rugged creek rods? where can i purchase and build a rod and will it save me the cash?

if anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. i cant stop thinking about getting a switch rod!

Thanks

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
Re: Switch Rod setup
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 09:31:54 AM »

I fish an 8wt echo sr with airflo ridge, 480 skagit compact and 450 rage and it rocks, it's a bit more "tippy" of a rod.
I can still feel it load deep if I slow down the stroke though, also nice for kiss n go casts. The Rajeff crew produced a wicked rod.

I haven't cast the DC but I heard its built it with a more traditional spey taper and loads deeper but is not so great single handing. and you can't go wrong with a rod designed by meiser.

both are great rods imo just depends on casting style. each of them have great warranties, Echo has outstanding customer service.

I would go with the lamson over the ion. I have a friend that has the reel and it seems pretty solid.

STAY AWAY from the rugged creek crap. It is all imported stuff from alibaba.com

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/53...od_for_US.html

exact rod, these are just guys trying to make a quick buck
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:40:58 AM by TayC »
A swung fly is the best fly.

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 09:37:38 AM »

If you are going to be indicator fishing i would prob go for the echo.

Go check out spey pages, there are always rods and reels floating around on there, may even want to post a wanted add.

oh and welcome to the 2 hand world  ;D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:48:48 AM by TayC »
A swung fly is the best fly.

Carich980

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 12:55:50 PM »

Rio Scandi Short Versa tip is one of the best lines Ive ever casted. If I was to get another switch rod this is the line system I would go with.

http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-lines/spey/scandinavian/scandi-short-versitip/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 04:42:44 PM »

You are going in the right direction. I'd suggest a 30lb running line if you are looking at steelhead or salmon. I have 2 Echo SRs (#6 & #8) very nice rods. Scandi heads are sweet to cast on these rods while skagit heads give power. The SA scands extreme heads have real delicacy for surface work that a skagit head can't match.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

kalex60

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 07:42:27 PM »

I love my reddington cpx 7wt
I have it paired with 400 skagit flight with a airflo ridged runnin line and a sage 1680

Carich980

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 11:49:18 PM »

Another Option for a rod is to get a custom one done at Valley custom rods. I think they price out at 300ish mark. Email the guy off here for a quote. I wonder how a Custom Rainshadow rod compares to the TFO Deer creek series? Anyone know?

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 08:25:27 AM »

Hey guys,
Thanks for all your input. So far,  I'm pending payment  on a second handLoop Opti Switch 10'7" 8wt. Unfortunately, the proof of purchase wil not be included. Do you guys know anything about this rod and warranty? Being a fly rod coming from loop, I assume the quality and feel will be top notch.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 12:59:59 PM »

From what I have heard Loop makes a nice rod but warranty can be a huge pain. Not sure if things have improved but a couple years ago there were a lot of guys waiting a long time for rods with no idea what was going on. Again,  this was in the past so hopefully you'll never need to worry about warranty or if you do hopefully things have improved

Ssypark

• addicted
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 08:49:50 PM »

So, I've decided on the Loop Opti Switch. I asked Loop beforehand on the missing proof of purchase and luckily, they said they will still cover the damages. The Loop rod is rated as a 8/9 wt but from my research on the web, people are saying its a more true 8wt than the 7/8wt Loop also offers.

Now, for the reel and line, im pretty set on the airflo package but the reel is still up in the air. I read that Allen reels are good and their alpha II is on sale currently. the drag is not as good as the konic, but is machined aluminim/stainless steel opposed to Konic's Cast aluminum.(which i read can be fragile.)

should i be looking to get a 9/10 wt reel for the switch rod? any suggestions? or would like to sell their line or reel?

Thanks again

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 11:36:06 AM »

Another Option for a rod is to get a custom one done at Valley custom rods. I think they price out at 300ish mark. Email the guy off here for a quote. I wonder how a Custom Rainshadow rod compares to the TFO Deer creek series? Anyone know?

some of the shorter lighter line Batson/Rainshadow speys were well thought of the money but the longer speys not so much. I had an 8/9 13' I built from a kit. Couldn't complain for $100 and the fun of putting it together but the rod was a fence post!Try before you buy.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 09:48:07 AM »

Now, for the reel and line, im pretty set on the airflo package but the reel is still up in the air. I read that Allen reels are good and their alpha II is on sale currently. the drag is not as good as the konic, but is machined aluminim/stainless steel opposed to Konic's Cast aluminum.(which i read can be fragile.)

Thanks again

I wouldn't be too worried about the durability of the Konic.  While its their entry level reel, the quality is top notch.  The Konic II is coming out so the original Konics are now on sale.  I picked up the Konic 4 at Cabelas down in Tulalip for $109.00 for my 8wt 12'4" Spey.  I got their last one, but you can order it online and have it delivered to Tulalip with free shipping.  Judging by what I have read on the net, this reel is considered one of the best bang for your buck.  I plan on lining up mine with a Rio Skagit flight 575 grains (as recommended by Rio for the particular rod that I am using it with).

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 10:21:34 PM »

I had 3 options, a Pflueger Trion, the Konic and a a nice looking Ross reel. The Konic was cheaper and felt like it too when compared to the other two reels. I like the Pflueger but that arbor was kind of small so I picked the Ross for about $135. Paired it up with a Rio Versitip and a 11' 9wt Cabelas TLR switch rod. Feels like a solid set up and cant wait to try it out for the coho and the bigger chums and springs.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 04:18:40 PM »

out of those reels i would have went with the Trion myself (i own one and so does my dad), personally there is only 1 Ross reel that i dont think is ugly or cheap looking/feeling in the hand, I agree with you that the Konic does "feel" cheap however the Lamson drag system is top notch. The Pflueger does it for me in all areas with looks, feel and it has a really good drag system.  ;D

enjoy your Ross reel  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 07:37:10 PM »

I was leaning to the Pflueger, but the line capacity on the one I chose was a lot greater than the Pflueger. The reel is a really made by Ross for Cabelas, well that's what the guy said. It feels great, looks great and holds a load on backing. Now the only thing is, the line. HOOK, as you seem to know a load about fly fishing, can you tell me if the Versitip is good for the Vedder, Harrison and Nicomen? I heard that the Rio Scandi is a lot better for smaller rivers. Maybe I should get the Scandi and return the Versitip.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 11:28:58 PM by BCfisherman97 »