Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seagur 8lbs test red label what are your opinions????  (Read 7143 times)

1son

Seagur 8lbs test red label what are your opinions????
« on: September 29, 2012, 09:46:05 PM »

I tried this line for the first time today for leader fishing the vedder because I've heard nothing but good things about it I usually stick to maxima ultra green anywhere from 10lbs-12lbs but thought I'd try this stuff out. I actually liked it to be honest I hooked into 3 springs today within an hour but they all broke off and snapped my line so this leads me to this question should I have gotten a heavier pound test so it can handle these beast? It should hold from what I hear lemme know what you think thanx ;D

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
Re: Seagur 8lbs test red label what are your opinions????
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 08:37:21 AM »

Were these adult springs or spring jacks?  Seaguar is my favorite leader material.  However, 8 lb will not be enough to effecitvley fight an adult spring.  I'd go to 12 lb if targeting the springs.   ;)

Electroman

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 05:16:45 AM »

I just started using the red label 10lb test for my leaders as well. Quite happy with the line so far. Just make sure to lube your knots I've heard you can have knot failure if not lubed.

azafai

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 08:11:03 AM »

what is the difference between blue and red labels?

Drewhill

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 08:52:14 AM »

I've found red to be crap. Blue is the way to go.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 09:28:53 AM »

Premier and Blue Label are a double structure type FC - Red Label is the lowest grade of these three, and is not double structure.
Then they took the Blue Label to a new level, and created the Premier - Premier is much smaller diameter with increased strength and improved knot strength.

Double Structure Technology – Our FC, FP, GM, and FX are all Double Structure, (2 to 80 lb), a Seaguar exclusive process that injects two different molten resins through a special die.  The resins are extruded as one solid piece.  The harder, inside resin contributes to the Tensile Strength, while the softer, outside resin creates greater Knot Strength

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 10:46:22 AM »

The "test" rating is for a reason. 

You were using 8lb leader and you were breaking off what I can only assume were adult chinook which are typically 2-4x that weight... what did you think would happen?!?    ::)

8lb is a nice test weight for jack springs and coho.  If youi're chasing the adults, go heavier.  They're not that leader shy anyhow.

Tex

1son

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 12:41:05 PM »

Tex I'm chasing hoes that why I went with the 8lbs I usually don't go that light as I mentioned just wanted to try it out but I've heard from guys on the river 8lbs shouldn't be too big of a problem as long as u play the fish that's why I'm asking but thanx I know what you mean

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 01:29:26 PM »

Fair enough, 1son.  I just don't like seeing guys targetting big fish with light gear and thinking they're greater sportsmen because of it.  It doesn't make you more of a sportsman, it simply puts undue strain on the fish to play them as long as is required on light gear.

I see that's not the case with you.  You may very well be able to land big springs on 8lb leaders given the right circumstances, but if you're ever targeting them I suggest you boost your strength to at least 12 lbs.

Tex

PS - I have hooked big springs on light gear myself in the past, and managed to bring them in.  These days though I usually just break them off if I'm using light gear.

lapa

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 01:47:13 PM »

Red label is just line not leader material. You pay for 250yard spool almost the same price as for 25yard of Seaguard leader material and should not expect the same quality.

1son

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 02:56:37 PM »

So should I bump it up and grab some 12lbs in case it doesn't snapped again if a beast spring happens to chomp on my roe?

Fillibert

crazypop

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 05:03:54 PM »

I use 10lb maxima, when that is done, i will change to seagur leader..my friend swears by it and he must be right! :P

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 06:00:20 PM »

I like that new red label stuff for trout in 6lb but if I were you I would get the 15lb if Coho fishing when there are big Springs and Chum about and you can then use the same spool to target them with confidence. Why bother going lighter if they can't see it anyway? You have to be more careful with your knots with fluro too.