Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fire Ban?  (Read 15337 times)

Mabelingwane

• Mabelingwane Hunting safari's
Fire Ban?
« on: May 17, 2004, 11:20:08 AM »

Any one see the news on Friday on chanel 11. I heard that they might intro a open fire ban starting from this long weekend. They inteviewed some forestry guys that says the forests are dry as a bone already.

I hope they dont set a back country ban like last year, and also that we dont have a repeat of last year.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 12:24:26 PM by Mabelingwane »
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Re:Fire Ban?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 12:03:08 PM »

The Back-Country ban is already in the works. May kick in by mid-June this year due to the hazard. For updates regarding hazard, check:
http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/protect/maps/Danger_Rating.htm

UNFORTUNATE! Seems like we're headed towards a rather short season this year  :'(

Nog

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 04:48:28 PM »

very cool linc,thanks.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 05:02:59 PM »

The Back-Country ban is already in the works. May kick in by mid-June this year due to the hazard. For updates regarding hazard, check:
http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/protect/maps/Danger_Rating.htm

UNFORTUNATE! Seems like we're headed towards a rather short season this year  :'(

Nog

Urgh....

So how far off the road, is considered back country?  (I'm thinking of things like bar fishing on the Fraser)  What about islands in mid river?

Fishy minds want to know :)

Mabelingwane

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 08:08:09 AM »

So how far off the road, is considered back country?  (I'm thinking of things like bar fishing on the Fraser)  What about islands in mid river?

Last year we camped at in Squamish at the Paradise camping grounds. We fished the pink run in the Chekamus River. Close to the camp ground is a summer school thinga ma jobbie. The principle dually reprimanded me and my friend for fishing under the bridge. He said he would report us to the RCMP if he found us there again, as he was designated the "care taker" of the area during the ban. According to him... and here is the shocker.. Crown land starts from the side of the road, hence, no access to crown land, so to answer your question Iron Nogin, and from personal experience, the side of the road and you are in violation.

This is going to cause a problem for all those secret spots on crown land. Hopefully there will be more clarification on this matter.
A strong man won't let anyone get the best of him... but a man of strength gives the best of himself to everyone.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 10:15:03 AM »

cool link thanks /hope no ban for the long weekend as im headin back up to deer lake in harrison. need some more fishin action. :o

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 12:03:25 AM »

I think that pretty much WAS the gist of the ban last year.

Mabelingwane

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 07:25:25 AM »

I think the caretaker was wearing his jockey's too tight,

He must have been...He even reported us at the camp manager who later came and talked to us about that.

That was not all guy's... My friend flies model aircraft, and this same gentleman confronted us when we were trying to get his plane out of a tree after he miss judged his distance, the old sergeant major came on over and expressed his concern about flying gas powered aircraft in the dry tree, and wanted to know that it was a very dangerous thing to do…………. Only after explaining that is was a electric plane did he relax a bit and explained his situation of being so stressed about the environment issue…..

So for anyone planning on fishing there if there is a ban, Just watch out for the guy with the ski pole that walks at a very fast pace.  

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 07:29:31 AM »

I think that pretty much WAS the gist of the ban last year.

Funny, didn't seem a concern or an issue to all the people fishing during the sock and pink runs last year.  Heck, I even remember seeing shoulder to shoulder fishing at just about every popular bar on the Fraser the last day of the sock opening...amazing nobody got fines.

I don't think a FULL backcountry ban was on at the time.  It came later in August from what I recall.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 10:22:28 AM »