Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser Sturgeon are mystical  (Read 4012 times)

greese30

Fraser Sturgeon are mystical
« on: September 21, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »

to me at least.  I have been out a number of times since august, and have not hooked a fish... I have tried fresh salmon parts, old salmon parts, cured roe, dew worms...i have often received tapping but from all my reading and utube watching have waited for the "steady pull" before setting the hook...but never get the steady pull!  invariably a few times out of frustration i have tried to set the hook on tapping to no avail.  i have tried a variety of holes between chilliwack and the mouth of the vedder, trying above, within and below the hole, seen sturgeon surface nearby, seen (what i think are sturgeon) on the sounder.... and yet i cannot get a real take.

is anyone willing to share some ideas that may help me out?  i run a setup like most describe, mainline runs freely through wieght swivel so fish is not picking wieight off the ground, leader 18 to 40 inches. 

i sure would love to experience the rush of fighting one of these monsters of the deep and would appreciate any further tips or strategies i might try to employ... or perhaps your description of a sturgeon take and when to set the hook.

thanks folks...

and happy fishing.

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser Sturgeon are mystical
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 01:05:28 AM »

You should be able to ping fish off of the bottom if you slowly motor around the hole. You should try and anchor at the head of the hole, so your scent trail flows down into the hole Don't bother with cured roe or dew worms this time of year. Use fresh roe or salmon parts. If you fish deep holes you'll get less bites or taps from coarse fish like it sounds you're getting. Don't be afraid to fish a bait for a long time without reeling in or checking. You need to give the bait time to milk out scent and for the fish to move up and take the bait.

The takes will be firm tugs not tiny light taps. Wait for a steady pull to set the hook. Sometimes it's better to wait too long for the pull and have the fish stop biting than to swing and miss. If you don't pull the bait away the fish might come back.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 07:21:20 AM »

No this year as been a very difficult year for sturg ! on't know why either but ask anyone who fishes it hard and you will hear the same thing.

FishingKing

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 07:25:07 AM »

like dion says, this time of year salmon parts or fresh roe. You can also try ooligans they work great.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 08:55:58 AM »

I've been reading about people having sucess with lamprey over the last couple weeks.

but as rantalot said, for some reason it's tough fishing right now and lots of people are sayinig the big pull downs are not happening, just tap tap gone.

Steel_Mo_Head

• Steel Fever.....
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 04:45:51 PM »

to me at least.  I have been out a number of times since august, and have not hooked a fish... I have tried fresh salmon parts, old salmon parts, cured roe, dew worms...i have often received tapping but from all my reading and utube watching have waited for the "steady pull" before setting the hook...but never get the steady pull!  invariably a few times out of frustration i have tried to set the hook on tapping to no avail.  i have tried a variety of holes between chilliwack and the mouth of the vedder, trying above, within and below the hole, seen sturgeon surface nearby, seen (what i think are sturgeon) on the sounder.... and yet i cannot get a real take.

is anyone willing to share some ideas that may help me out?  i run a setup like most describe, mainline runs freely through wieght swivel so fish is not picking wieight off the ground, leader 18 to 40 inches. 

i sure would love to experience the rush of fighting one of these monsters of the deep and would appreciate any further tips or strategies i might try to employ... or perhaps your description of a sturgeon take and when to set the hook.

thanks folks...

and happy fishing.

Email me.  I can definitely help you out.

Contact@francismai.com
I can't wait to fish ALL the time!

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 07:23:14 PM »

My skunking streak finally ended today  ;D Caught on eel and fresh spring roe.Seen some big fish rising today and had one almost land in the boat it was that close :)

greese30

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 10:32:21 PM »

That's Awsome!! Congrats.  

My skunking continued.  I did see one surface nearby though. 

Dogbreath

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 12:19:49 PM »

You should try and anchor at the head of the hole, so your scent trail flows down into the hole
Best advice on this thread.

In addition if you don't get any action in 30 minutes then move to another hole.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 12:37:01 PM »

Talked to an oldtimet and his wife who tagging and his advice  find fish on the sounder and stay put but switch baits a lot,he hooked into 13 on sat :)

Bandit420

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 01:50:35 PM »

The little taps you are getting are pike minnow. When a sturge bites your rod tip will pull down at least 3-4 inches. If you see this grab your rod and hold it parallel to the water surface. I use a baitcaster so I thumb my spool with my left hand and thumb my line above threel so I can feel anything on the end of it. So when they bite you will feel solid pulls every half second to 1 second amd wait untill you feel a good tug and just reef back and you should have him. Try fresh roe in some panty hose that you can steal from the girl friend but just dont get caught :D. And make golf ball sized balld of roe amd tie it with magic thread. Ive still had luck with eulichans this far into the year so try that aswell.

Good luck out there!
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 03:18:57 PM »

Badit420 not this year ! Ask anyone and they will tell you that this year the bites have been light taps, yes some crapfish attacking your bait but it could also be a sturg thats not really interested in your bait but rather playing with it.

Bandit420

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »

Badit420 not this year ! Ask anyone and they will tell you that this year the bites have been light taps, yes some crapfish attacking your bait but it could also be a sturg thats not really interested in your bait but rather playing with it.

Ive been out there rantalot and ive got 23 sturgeon this year and 21 of them came from shore. The biggest being 6'5ft. most of these fish were caught pre freshet and its been a really slow year after the freshet. Ive almost never have had a big sturgeon just lightly tap on my bait, usually its the little ones that make small taps and even 3ft and under give my rod a good pull on the take.
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

Rantalot

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »

My biggest at 9.2 was just a bunch of light taps as well as a couple 71/2 footers no big pull downs at all,