Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tanzanian Hippos  (Read 3070 times)

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Tanzanian Hippos
« on: September 21, 2012, 06:22:20 PM »

Having just finished our giraffe pictures, I figured I'd dive right into the hippo shots. Here are our Hippos from 2009 in the Serengeti and Lake Manyara national parks, Tanzania. My wife and I shot them while travelling on safari with "Tropical Trails"

1. Just being hornery.

Hippos of Tanzania by DragonSpeed, on Flickr

2. You stepped on my toes!

3. Hanging out with mom

4. You could walk over them - it's so crowded!

5. What a mug!

All of our hippo shots can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonspeed/sets/72157631592036077/with/8010570018/

While the whole Africa trip (still being updated) here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonspeed/sets/72157621906615382/

I hope you enjoy them!

Zanna

Re: Tanzanian Hippos
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »

Nice job, beautiful pics.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 07:30:47 PM »

Nice job, beautiful pics.
Thanks.

Did you know -

Hippo legend states that after God created all of the animals the hippos pleaded to God to let them live on the bottom of rivers to hide from the other animals who laughed at their ugliness. Afraid they would eat all of the fishes, God said no. The hippos counter-offered God, promising to become vegetarians, only eat on land, open their mouths wide to the sky when they are done to show there are no fish in their mouths, and allowing fish to clean the inside of their mouths after they are done eating to show how gentle they are. God agreed and that's why hippos are river horses.

Zanna

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 12:01:58 AM »

Thanks.

Did you know -

Hippo legend states that after God created all of the animals the hippos pleaded to God to let them live on the bottom of rivers to hide from the other animals who laughed at their ugliness. Afraid they would eat all of the fishes, God said no. The hippos counter-offered God, promising to become vegetarians, only eat on land, open their mouths wide to the sky when they are done to show there are no fish in their mouths, and allowing fish to clean the inside of their mouths after they are done eating to show how gentle they are. God agreed and that's why hippos are river horses.

That's a beautiful legend, I guess it's from the native in Tanzania?

Vegetarian or not I heard hippos are some seriously aggressive animal, very territorial. Must have been trilling being that close.