Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you coming to BC Rivers Day Celebration in Chilliwack?

Yes! :D
No. :(

Author Topic: BC Rivers Day celebration in Chilliwack, September 30th 2012  (Read 4729 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
BC Rivers Day celebration in Chilliwack, September 30th 2012
« on: September 15, 2012, 12:45:44 PM »

Do you regularly enjoy fishing the Chilliwack River? If so, here is an opportunity for you to give something back to this popular river! Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society will once again be hosting its annual BC Rivers Day celebration on Sunday September 30th. This event includes the third river cleanup of the year, as well as a BBQ festival to thank all the participants.

The celebration will start at the Chilliwack Fish & Games Club House (48685 Chilliwack Lake Road) at 8:30am. Participants will register for the cleanup, which will take place from 9:30am to Noon. At Noon, you are invited to return to the club house for a BBQ, entertainment and prize draws.

Schedule of event:

8:30am - 9:30am: Registration/sign-in at Chilliwack Fish & Games Club
9:30am - Noon: River cleanup
Noon - 1:30pm: BBQ, entertainment and prize draws

Tim Hortons will once again be supplying donuts, muffins, coffee, juice and water for all participants when you arrive in the morning. You should dress for the weather and terrain. Boots, gumboots, waders are recommended as river banks can be wet and muddy. Garbage bags, rubber gloves and limited number of pick-up tools will be provided. You should also bring a pair of working gloves for yourself.

This is the 11th year's celebration since Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society was formed by a group of concerned anglers and local residents. With the support from the recreational community and other user groups, many tonnes of garbage have been removed from the watershed over the years. As a result, the river remains clean, which means the fishing and outdoor experience is better for everyone. It is an important program that can only continue with your support.

Come on out, do some fishing at first light, catch some salmon, spend a few hours giving back to the river, get fed, then back to fishing in the afternoon, which is not a bad way to spend the last Sunday of September.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: BC Rivers Day celebration in Chilliwack, September 30th 2012
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 06:00:37 PM »

Director Lew speaks about BC Rivers Day 2012 on the Chilliwack Vedder River.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uQ7dU0ZWEw&feature=share&list=UU_4LtEFjHj-ulBHuoq6COmQ

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 11:28:54 PM »

Time to take care of the river that takes care of me.
Tight lines to all

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 07:40:58 PM »

Time to take care of the river that takes care of me.

X2
A swung fly is the best fly.

DevonG

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 03:48:08 PM »

What a fantastic event! It never ceases to amaze me at the amount of garbage that is collected every cleanup! Although a lot of great work is done every time, it would be nice to see the event being completely unnecessary.

The concept is simple; if you pack it in, you should pack it out. Everything out. That includes all that monofil and all other types of line as well. Just because you don't need that piece anymore doesn't mean that the river needs it. And should you accidentally drop a piece of lead into the rocks, please try to find it. Sounds silly but you'd be surprised at how many people I see drop a chunk of lead and then simply cut off another!

If you are always diligent about removing your garbage take it one step further and pick up some other trash on your way out too! I pulled two shopping bags full of garbage out this morning from a relatively small spot.

I know that most of the people reading this are of a similar mindset to myself so in a way this is just me venting some frustration. Although I am not blaming a group of people (every ethnicity is guilty of this, lets not turn it into a race thing) a lot of the people coming to fish our river are foreign/international anglers and may not completely grasp the importance of keeping the river clean but when they leave it is ultimately ours to live with and protect!

Happy fishing guys, please come out and support the cleanup effort in any way you can!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 12:44:36 PM »

Bump. One week until the festival. If you do not plan to attend but are fishing the Vedder that day, please bring a plastic bag and fill it with garbage around you after fishing. Every little bit helps.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 12:58:13 PM »

Sadly, again this year the event coincides with FlyBC's fall fish-in in the Interior, to which my family and I have committed long ago.

To all new posters and members of Fishingwithrod who are on the fence about attending: PLEASE DO!
It is an awesome event which will enable you to see the river you enjoy so much from a different perspective.

Great camaraderie, great food, lots of fun - a great event!

Hopefully next year I can finally attend again.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 01:06:50 PM »

Sadly, again this year the event coincides with FlyBC's fall fish-in in the Interior, to which my family and I have committed long ago.

To all new posters and members of Fishingwithrod who are on the fence about attending: PLEASE DO!
It is an awesome event which will enable you to see the river you enjoy so much from a different perspective.

Great camaraderie, great food, lots of fun - a great event!

Hopefully next year I can finally attend again.
Not worry my friend ... you've done your share ;)  Gonna miss seeing your handsome face though ...

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 03:49:10 PM »

Be sure to come out tomorrow if you are going fishing on the Vedder. Fishing has been slow after 8am anyway so it is a good opportunity for you to help the river out while meeting some new friends.

FishingKing

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 03:55:45 PM »

Will be there after a couple hours of fishing first light. As you said rod it does get really slow a couple hours after first light around 9ish

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 07:39:38 AM »

Its an hour to sign ups and my ride bailed on me...
Sorry i can't make it this time but i'll be cleaning up every time i fish like usual...
the driver has come down with a bad flu and just won't wake up...
Tight lines to all

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 06:03:02 PM »

Its an hour to sign ups and my ride bailed on me...
Sorry i can't make it this time but i'll be cleaning up every time i fish like usual...
the driver has come down with a bad flu and just won't wake up...
That's too bad but we had lots of help with over 350, a record take part. Rod will have pictures to share and I will get some video up later as I needed a nap to recover. ??? ;D

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 10:23:08 PM »

I will pick up the slack next time i go out fishing, ill bring a bag full out at least.
Tight lines to all

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 02:39:39 PM »

> Here is 3 of the video's from yesterday for those that may have missed them and wish to view, excuse a bit of shaking at the start of 2 of the videos as I had someone film for me. will upload some more later when time permits.
>
> >
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN7hVDyoPnM&feature=share&list=UU_4LtEFjHj-ulBHuoq6COmQ
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkXX5iHPA-0&feature=share&list=UU_4LtEFjHj-ulBHuoq6COmQ
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t01QlcoakXY&feature=share&list=UU_4LtEFjHj-ulBHuoq6COmQ