Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Roe Fly Thread and more!  (Read 5441 times)

Every Day

• Old Timer
New Roe Fly Thread and more!
« on: September 09, 2012, 09:39:30 PM »

Hey guys, took the summer off of tying, but back in school now and will throw these back up on-line now.
The last thread got lost in pages of questions, orders, etc, so I am going to re-post this up as a totally new thread.

So these are the roe flies:

Originally designed for fishing springs on the island in bait ban rivers, they quickly became my go to steelhead rig in any bait ban rivers I fished, and then even in bait allowed rivers. So far in my experience they have worked well on : Steelhead (winters, and unreal on summers), Chinook (adults love them, jacks don't mind them - about 50% consistent as roe for jacks), coho (although I haven't tossed them all that much), chum, rainbows, cutthroat, browns, whitefish, and bull trout.

I have received numerous replies back from people that have bought them - and pictures to prove their success. I have confirmation that they work on Thompson jacks (although at a lower percentage than roe - same as what I experienced), but that they worked just as good as roe on adults. Many of the people I have sold these to swear by them for steelhead and some have even gone to these exclusively over roe and other artificial's/baits. I can quite honestly say I generally use these over real roe as well. My success has been the same (have even picked up fish behind guys using roe/prawns in the vedder) and you don't get stick fingers during the winter and never have to replace the bait.

Some pict's of victims:

So down to business. The flies are $2 a piece for the regular flies (meaning just eggs, fur, and regular hook). If you want weighted flies for fly fishing it will generally cost around 50 cents more (lead wrap and bead or dumbell eyes). I can also do these on 1/0 sickle hooks for those so inclined. They come in almost any colour combo you want, and I can email pic's of the normal colours I tie, or tie one up of what you want and let ya see how it looks. The can come scented and unscented as well (diff colours available in scented/unscented). They come in 3 sizes : size 1/0 with 5 eggs for winter steelhead and chinook in coloured water, size 1 with 3 eggs for summer runs, coho, chinook, bigger sized cutthroat and rainbows, and browns, and size 4 with 2 eggs for low water spooky summers, rainbows, cutties and other small, egg eating fish.

To place orders, please email me at: steelheadfishing@hotmail.com

If any of you guys are interested, I also tie intruders and streamer flies for bull trout, steelhead, still water bows, cutthroat, and other pacific salmon.
Email for prices based on what you want, I generally do thread heads for $1.75 and prices go up from there depending on what you want.

Some examples:

If you would like to place any orders on these flies you can email me once again at:
steelheadfishing@hotmail.com

Any questions at all, feel free to reply to this thread or shoot me an email.

Cheers, and hope you all have a good season and tight lines!
Dan

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: New Roe Fly Thread and more!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 04:01:16 PM »

So a few more things I should include that I left out!

I am located in Nanaimo, and flies can be picked up or mailed out ($4 for shipping). I come back to the mainland (Chilliwack) around 1 time per month.
I take orders through email and tie them as orders come, I don't keep any in stock. Orders can normally be filled within a couple days unless during exams, etc.

As said before, any extra's such as sickle hooks, or added weight will up the fly cost a little bit.

Also, here is a link to more colour combo's!
https://skydrive.live.com/?sc=photos&cid=85b40cd5658860a6#cid=85B40CD5658860A6&id=85B40CD5658860A6%21235&sc=photos

Thanks!
Dan

Fly Chucker

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 11:15:08 PM »

Nice flies! I was just curious how are they scented?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 12:00:55 AM »

Nice flies! I was just curious how are they scented?

Sorry, should have included that (unless I did already, not sure).

Flies can be scented or unscented. Scented ones are just the typical eggs you would get out of a container (anise/shrimp).

Scented colours: orange, cherise, pink, some chartreuse left
Unscented: Solid orange, flouro red, solid red, chartreuse, flouro pink, and an off pink (almost matches coho roe exactly (under water pic and last steelhead pic).

Cheers,
Dan

Fly Chucker

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 08:19:13 PM »

How would I pay? Paypal, check, money order?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 11:47:18 PM »

Paypal and mailed cheque are my preferred payment options.
More details about payments can be given through email.

Thanks for the orders guys!
Dan

bluenoser

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 11:52:22 AM »

Those look amazing!

If I were to order several would you recommend the scented ones? I have never had much luck with anise scented products myself.

BN

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 12:38:13 PM »

In my experience on flows like the vedder (speaking for steelhead here, as I said before I haven't used them much for salmon besides chinook and coho on the island) I have not actually witnessed a large difference between scented and non scented. On the island flows, I can't use scented so all my experience has been with unscented ones.

People who have ordered them from me have told me adding scent to them helps a little bit for springs. The scents that guys add are generally the herring type scents or an egg scent. If you are going to add scent though I would be careful as I found adding it to the fur at the top matted the fur and stopped the pulsing action which seems to be key with the flies. I have done ok in the vedder with just a plain white fur and orange egg one in either anise/shrimp scented or non scented... and if things get really tough add a small roe sac to the bottom of the fly.

So in the end, it's really what you have confidence in. I only run unscented now because I like the colour of the eggs better (the off pink coho roe looking colour only comes unscented), and I feel that with the more natural look I am more confident it will catch fish.

Cheers,
Dan

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 10:34:25 AM »

Email sent!
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

hotrod

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 06:37:46 AM »

Great fly ever day! Just to let you all know I have had great success with these flies both on coho and steelhead! I am certain they will work for the springs too and can't wait to cast them around this fall!

hotrod

Fly Chucker

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 07:16:50 PM »

Is there a price break?

Jewelz

• I've got the bug
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 07:18:12 PM »

Got them in the mail today! They look as good as they do in the pics!
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 10:44:08 PM »

Is there a price break?

What kind of price break are we talking about?
I don't generally go anything below $2 on the flies just because the materials cost quite a bit (think of just a pack of mad river eggs and 5 eggs per fly, plus hook, rabbit, etc).
If you order enough I may drop the shipping costs.

Cheers,
Dan

PS Thanks for the kind words guys! Glad to hear they are working on coho!

hotrod

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 09:10:38 PM »

hooked and lost a big spring this morning on the egg flie! took the line so fast snapped it right off! Saw a guy today who was nice enough to have some matches when I fgorgot my lighter in the truck! Anyways, gave him a few samples for his trouble! he already knew about these flies!  Thanks for the light bud!

hotrod

kid fisherman

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 07:45:31 AM »

Any time hotrod! After I got home I showed my brother the flies and he is hooked on them. Will be sending an email to you Dan!