Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: River/Drift Fishing Setup Ideas  (Read 7372 times)

Selyth

River/Drift Fishing Setup Ideas
« on: August 24, 2012, 10:38:13 PM »

Hey guys I am going to start getting ready since I just got back from the west coast for the rivers and I can back only to realize my rod and reel for drifting were broken. Anyways the point is I was wanting your opinions as to what rod and reel would exactly suit my needs. I go fishing mostly at Stave River and in Port Haney. I intend to fish for some Pinks, Chums, and Sockeye occasionally casting spoons and mostly drifting roe or other bait. I also would like the setup to be fairly cheap maybe limit $200. Thanks for the help guys! :)

EZ_Rolling

Re: River/Drift Fishing Setup Ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 07:12:32 AM »

any good tackle shop should be able to set you up with a combo that suits your needs and budget.

look for a 10 foot 6 inch rod and a bait caster for that money you will likely end up with a Abu reel.

good luck fishing

fishforthought

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 07:22:13 AM »

of you wanna spend a bit more money i bought a shimano technium rod for about 140, and paired it with an abu garcia kalex reel for another 140

the rod is beautiful, 10'6 medium fast tip and 12-20 test

shimano also offers a limited lifetime warranty on the rod, so if you ever break it fighting a fish or pulling a snag, u can return it, just dont slam it in ur car door/

the reel is beautiful and good of course

kalex60

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 09:30:57 PM »

Kalex and an angler ss it's an inexpensive setup that is good for starting but I would suggest maybe looking on craigslist or buy and sell because often you can get better rods and reels for cheap

1son

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 07:45:48 PM »

10''6 shimano convergence rod and any lower base abu should set u aruond $200

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 11:14:24 PM »

angler ss

I've snapped the tips off of two Angler SS's this year. One was a fly rod (from WalMart) the other was a 10'6 salmon rod (from Fred's). Probably my fault, as I lifted the rod up too high while attempting to net n' tail the fish, but still: never buying another one of those rods again.

On option is Do Sports in Abbotsford, OP; the owner can set you up with a brand new AbuC3 + 10'6" rod for $160 + tax... You can also go the craigslist or forum Buy n' Sell route but personally I wouldn't buy any baitcaster that's been used in the Lower Mainland. Apparently bottom bouncing is "the worst thing you can do to your reel" and -- let's face it -- most people are using these reels to bottom bounce. Fred's is opening a new store in Abby (this weekend?) and will likely have some door crashers; perhaps you can cash in.

Cheers,
Zabber
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:23:25 PM by zabber »
A rig out of water catches no fish.

kalex60

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 11:47:07 PM »

Landed a lot of springs over 30 with that rod do I don't think it's the rod

jordanc

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 05:32:18 AM »

Yeah Freds location is abbotsford is having a grand opening sale this saturday they have reel and rod combos on sale check there website under the specials section theres some items listed there

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 08:00:15 AM »

Looks like Wholesale Sports is currently having a sale as well.  Check out their website and go to freshwater and saltwater fishing.  Looks like rods and reels are 20% off?

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/home/fishing/fresh-saltwater-fishing/casting-reels/c0-c20-c201-c201018-p1.html

http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/home/fishing/fresh-saltwater-fishing/casting-rods/c0-c20-c201-c20101-p1.html

zabber

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 11:32:46 PM »

Looks like Wholesale Sports is currently having a sale as well.  Check out their website and go to freshwater and saltwater fishing.  Looks like rods and reels are 20% off?

#YUUUUPPPP!!

Picked up a brand new Abu 6601C4 the other day for $131 after taxes... Would've cost about the same to get it shipped to HoB (from Cabela's)...

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 01:16:56 AM »

Berry's , . Check it out, always has good prices on the combos . Check out the local boy's and girls . ;D
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

jacked55

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 08:22:44 AM »

Nice to see another left handed C4 guy Zabber. I was lucky enough to find one on the buy and sell section here for a GREAT price, so now i have a back up. Otherwise i was also going to go the Cabelas for $109 then use HOB or use in store pick up idea. I hate to say it, but the USA prices are tough to compete with for us Canadians looking for new gear.

zabber

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 01:37:59 PM »

Nice to see another left handed C4 guy Zabber.

Haha, cheers m8! I was in Do Sports the other day and the owner told me that 80% of the people coming in for Abus want a right-handed version. I'm a righty by nature (though I shoot a puck left) and have found that's my rod hand; that's where you need more of your strength and control, so why would you reel with it? My father picked up a 6500 ten years back and I've been using it here and there but it's always taken a bit of enjoyment out of the day for me. I feel sorry for the guys like me that fish for sturgeon (I was informed that none of the bigger reels are made in LH versions).

the USA prices are tough to compete with for us Canadians looking for new gear

Especially when you can save $20 on a tank of gas while you're down there :P I'm all for supporting small local businesses but when there's a $50 difference on an item it's harder to justify keeping things local. If I bought enough tackle to actually develop a relationship with any one supplier it might be easier, but I'm generally only able to hit the water a handful of times each year and my needs are varied (sockeye, coho, chinook, rainbow, maybe bass one of these days... gear, fly...)

Zanna

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 08:13:37 PM »

Nice to see another left handed C4 guy Zabber.

+1 for lefty bait caster  ;D

I've been using an Abu 6501 and it's working great. I would definitely reccomend it in the $100ish dollar range

For the rod I have a fenwick Canadian method also around $100 and it's doing it's job so far.

Drewhill

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2012, 03:16:31 PM »

Abu with a fenwick HMX. Might be slightly over budget but a great combo.