Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's this? #8  (Read 7247 times)

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
Re: What's this? #8
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 08:26:29 AM »

I intially thought it was an oversized goldfish - but then noticed the mouth area to being similar to a carp but then noticed that scales were very different.  Spent quite some time looking up BC fish.  I din't even try to 'Guess'!

Appears that we should become more aware of the non-native fishes that are being introduced into our lakes / rivers.

Nice challenge Rod and Dion!
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 08:29:53 PM »

For the record I caught that fish in BC and I had no clue what it was either. I sent Rodney that picture and asked him. Then I contacted the Conservation Officer's service to ask if they were aware that these fish had moved into Christina Lake (which is actually in Region 8 - Okanogan, not Kootenay as Rodney stated). They responded as follows:

I did a little background research on Tench in BC and apparently they've been in Christina Lake for close to 100 years!  :o
Actions speak louder than words.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 12:22:06 PM »

I did a little background research on Tench in BC and apparently they've been in Christina Lake for close to 100 years!  :o

I've been going to Christina every year since I was a child and I've never come across one until this year. The one I caught was swimming around with another Tench of approximately the same size.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 06:13:22 PM »

Ah tench! Very tasty fish with  hint of sweetness in the flesh. They are very slimy  and rather difficult to catch. Some Europeans specialize in targeting them. There is a rumor that Vaseux lake has them as well.