Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly gear for coho beach fishing  (Read 3032 times)

ALBA CHIEFISH

fly gear for coho beach fishing
« on: August 23, 2012, 12:29:52 PM »

Hi guys.

was hope to get some advice on which rods to consider for fishing the beaches on the east coast of the island for Coho this fall.

I went out last year and took my 12' spey #7/8 and found it nearly impossible to back cast or roll without the flow of the river to help.

Am I just inexperienced in fishing with this spey rod, or would you agree that a full spey is not suitable for beach fishing ?

I am looking to pick up rod so any advice on what makes a good rod would appreciated.

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: fly gear for coho beach fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 09:20:21 PM »

Hi guys.

was hope to get some advice on which rods to consider for fishing the beaches on the east coast of the island for Coho this fall.

I went out last year and took my 12' spey #7/8 and found it nearly impossible to back cast or roll without the flow of the river to help.

Am I just inexperienced in fishing with this spey rod, or would you agree that a full spey is not suitable for beach fishing ?

I am looking to pick up rod so any advice on what makes a good rod would appreciated.

I use the same 9 foot single handed sage that I use for the river salmon.  A stripping basket is a must though as I forgot mine tonight and fought the salad in the line the whole time.
Not all those who wander are lost

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: fly gear for coho beach fishing
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 08:04:26 PM »

if you want to use your spey--

use a short shooting head running line combo and yes you can strip the head into the rod if the fish are taking closer in then the head length. just wiggle it side to side to shake the head back out. then just set yourself up for a PERRY POKE cast. this cast is a straight forward, straight back type spey cast and works great on still-ish water, yes it is still a sustained anchor cast.

Otherwise your best bet is to use a single hander or go buy a switch rod setup so you can just use the two handed Overhead casting that switches are so good at  ;)

good luck
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/