Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about Northen Pike minnows in cultus lake.  (Read 2795 times)

Brian the fisherman

Question about Northen Pike minnows in cultus lake.
« on: August 20, 2012, 09:45:54 PM »

I was fishing cultus and nailed too many pikeminnows and didnt even see a trout.
'
An older guy that i passed later after fishing had at least 30 of the fish dead in a bag... going on to say "there a mennace fish. you are required to cull them by order of dfo"
i can not find anything relating to this particular issue. Perhaps im not looking hard enough?

Do i have to kill them or what. i dont understand
Tight lines to all

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Question about Northen Pike minnows in cultus lake.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 10:02:55 PM »

I was fishing cultus and nailed too many pikeminnows and didnt even see a trout.
'
An older guy that i passed later after fishing had at least 30 of the fish dead in a bag... going on to say "there a mennace fish. you are required to cull them by order of dfo"
i can not find anything relating to this particular issue. Perhaps im not looking hard enough?

Do i have to kill them or what. i dont understand

You don't have to kill them, but there have been regular culls of pike minnow on Cultus, including an annual cull derby.
Not all those who wander are lost

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 11:13:41 PM »

there have been regular culls of pike minnow on Cultus, including an annual cull derby.

I think there is one going on right now? If not at Cultas then nearby...

I was reading one of Rod's articles and I think he was saying that NPMs/squawfish are native to BC?

Not sure what they'd be considered in the regs? Whitefish (quota = 15)?

They can sure get annoying, though, when you're fishing a river mouth for rainbows and they keep pecking at your jensen egg :P
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Brook Trout

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 12:17:31 AM »

Indeed Northern Pikeminnows are a native fish. They are also a nuisance to salmon fry as they eat tons of them every year. Some people choose to bonk them for the sake of bonking them. Some don't. Personally i don't bonk them just to kill them as i do see it as a waste of a life. The NPM and Salmon have survived side by side in these systems for years now. If you choose to bonk them though (i have nothing against people who do) please dispose of them by throwing them back into the system so it can enhance it with nutrients. I don't like going to a fishing spot and seeing dead NPM scattered all along the beach stinking up the place. 1 or 2 is fine for the birds but i have seen multiple times 20-30 of these things scattered along small beaches before.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:31:10 PM »

I'm really hot and cold on those fish. Time were when they really put a pig to the days fishing. Like bar fishing on the Fraser and buying Chum roe for 8 bucks a pound. Only to loose it all to that tasty treat... AKA pikeminnow. :P
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?