Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Road trip through Thompson River  (Read 1357 times)

vadon

Road trip through Thompson River
« on: August 20, 2012, 09:20:49 AM »

Hi

I am planning to go Prince Gorge. I am looking for good fishing spots in Thompson River or Lake. I am going with my family. My 8 year old son love to go fishing. Please give me some ideas about good fishing spots and camping place.

Thanks in advance
va

Sandman

• Old Timer
Re: Road trip through Thompson River
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 01:56:50 PM »

Hi

I am planning to go Prince Gorge. I am looking for good fishing spots in Thompson River or Lake. I am going with my family. My 8 year old son love to go fishing. Please give me some ideas about good fishing spots and camping place.

Thanks in advance
va

Prince George is on the Fraser River.
Not all those who wander are lost

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 08:27:59 PM »

Private or provincial campgrounds offer more in terms of facilities. However, for a more rustic experience you may want to pitch a tent on a river bank.

For fishing the river look for areas of slow moving water next to fast moving water. Fish the seams for greatest success. What you use will depend on what fish species you are targetting. Grasshopper imitations (e.g. California Blonde) will often fool rainbows in the Thompson.

On the lakes it will help to have a depth sounder/fish finder + downrigger. Get you lures down to where the fish are. Fly fishing may also produce; match the hatch. If nothing's hatching, try trolling leechs, wooly buggers, etc. Bait n' bobber (i.e. dew worms on a slip-float rig) may also produce. Ask the local tackle shop for patterns + techniques that are especially productive for the specific location you will be fishing.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

wacker

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 10:46:07 PM »

just drove past goldpan provincial site just before spences bridge today. great looking fishing spot and even a few empty spots there.