Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tumors in salmon meat?  (Read 17600 times)

cohoaaron

Tumors in salmon meat?
« on: August 17, 2012, 02:05:29 AM »

I was filleting a couple pinks from campbell river and we found those small white tumor looking things in the meat. Im pretty sure there is already a topic about this but i couldnt find it. What is this? Is it fatal to the salmon? I really dont want to eat it but is it safe? Once aain they are like little white balls through out the meat. Should i expect to find it in the rest of my 8 salmon? Thanks
IM FREAKIN OUT!!!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:08:26 AM by cohoaaron »

work2fish

Re: Tumors in salmon meat?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 06:09:51 AM »

There are lots of parasites and diseases that can cause the small white tumors.  A few pictures would definitely help with identification, though even pictures might just give you a few possibilities.  Kudoa thyrsites was the disease just in the paper a few weeks ago, and might be worth googling to see how it compares to what you saw.

It's thought another strain of Kudoa causes food poisoning according to this site:
http://www.nih.go.jp/niid/en/iasren/865-iasr/2286-tpc388.html

Fish farms are still allowed to sell Kudoa infected fish to the public for consumption, and they think/claim it's safe...but personally I wouldn't eat anything with visible parasites, lumps or other infections...

sim

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 09:25:06 AM »

I found the exact same small white balls in the pinks I caught in Campbell River few days ago too. 1 mm diameter.
It was spread in the flesh, all over the body.

I don't want to scare everybody but I also found this year:
- 1 fresh coho of the Cap had white marks in the flesh and signs of decomposition inside,
- 1 FN guy told me that he caught sockeyes with worms in the flesh (not in the stomach)

probably 3 different issues, and also maybe "normal" or natural diseases but still. I should have taken my pinks + coho to DFO.
I'm not sure anybody really investigate that kind of stuff.

like catching, love releasing

Fillibert

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 09:43:30 AM »

If they were skinny red worms it's good. I researched it once and it said that those worms have different stages where they go from one animal (including seals) to other and only end up in fish in the end. That is a sign that the environment was good enough for them to survive this long. AKA if water is polluted they would die before they get to the fish. And they are harmless only gross.

cohoaaron

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 10:26:54 AM »

Ill upload a pic in 20 minutes. Its really disturbing me.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 01:05:45 PM »

Morty found something similar in a chum salmon 3 years ago
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=22216.0

cohoaaron

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 01:28:07 PM »

Morty found something similar in a chum salmon 3 years ago
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=22216.0
Thanks. Thats what i was looking for. Thats exactly what it was. Im sorry but i just CANT bring myself to eat those ones. A bit of good news though. I just filetted 5 more pinks and no more of them had those things thank god.

fish bonk

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 05:03:29 PM »

Thank god for the fish not the parasites. lol ;D

cohoaaron

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 10:51:12 PM »

Thank god for the fish not the parasites. lol ;D
haha. Im making a big batch of indian candy. Should be awsome. Ill let you guys know how it turns out in the fish kitchen section

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 07:56:49 PM »

Completely safe to eat. Could either be kudoa or tapioca disease.

Was the meat really soft and runny? Kudoa has an enzyme that immediately starts breaking down the flesh after the fish has died.
If the meat wasn't mushy and turning into pudding it probably wasn't Kudoa, but rather tapioca disease.

Watch closely for little blood spots in your pink meat, particularly around the belly meat. Some might also look like little white dots.
These little red spots if you dig will have a disc shaped cyst in them. It's actually not a tumour but rather a resting stage of a worm called anisakis.
I found them in a bunch of my pinks from this year that were up island. If you are smoking any fish I would recommend having your smoker to at least 200F for an hour to kill parasites. They won't kill you, and can't live in you (for long), but they'll make ya hella sick for up to 2 weeks and could require surgery if the infection they cause gets bad enough.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 09:09:19 PM »

Completely safe to eat. .........

They won't kill you, and can't live in you (for long), but they'll make ya hella sick for up to 2 weeks and could require surgery if the infection they cause gets bad enough.

How can it be completely safe to eat and yet will possibly require surgery if you eat it.  ???
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 09:53:52 PM »

How can it be completely safe to eat and yet will possibly require surgery if you eat it.  ???

Anisakis (the worms) is not safe to eat unless it's been cooked thoroughly.

Tapioca disease and kudoa are totally fine. What he is describing is one of those 2 so it is fine. Just a warning to watch for the worms and remember to get the internal temp of your salmon to at least 150F.

cohoaaron

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 11:18:29 PM »

Thanks EveryDay

Sam6140

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 04:04:13 AM »

wow....nobody eat salmon sushi anywhere.   talk about risky.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 10:45:34 AM »

wow....nobody eat salmon sushi anywhere.   talk about risky.

Sushi is required to be frozen either at -20C for 7 days, or at -35 for a day to kill all parasites.
However making your own sushi with any salmon from around here would be very risky. The freezing temp of -20 is not possible in regular freezers.