Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing technique for the upper fraser other than bar fishing & bb'ing...  (Read 1563 times)

Jewelz

• I've got the bug

Besides bar fishing and bb'ing for salmon in the upper fraser, what other technique could I use? Is it practical to float drift?
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

colin6101

You could try float fishing or chucking spoons where large creeks enter the Fraser, but I personally haven't really tried these methods much.

Jewelz

• I've got the bug

So bar fishing and bb'ing are the only 2 methods that are practical?
Peace. One. Jewelz.
"Who knew that fishing was this addicting..."

glx

• I'm a llama!

If you have access to a boat, there are other options such as back trolling or sitting on anchor with various plugs such as Hot shots, Kwikfish etc.  Jet divers with a spin n glow and roe combo as well. 

glx

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing

If you have a boat, I would anchor up and use large spinners. I catch lots of Salmon with this method.  The use of bait and or scent is crucial when the water is dirty.

If you are bound to shore, fishing a set line approach(bar fishing some call it) is really the best method to have success other than bottom bouncing.

Again I use large Spinners instead of spin n glos and my success has gone up considerably using these.

http://bentrods.ca/fishing-spinners/fishing-spinners-getting-you-started

I know some find it boring to sit and wait for a bite, but it is what you do while you wait that makes it fun or not.  You can read a good book, hunt for agates (a semi precious gem found along gravel bars), have a good nap, tie up some flies or jigs, build some spinners, or bring along the pellet gun and target practice.

Bar Fishing along the Fraser bars has never been about filling the freezer, but has always been a social fishery shared amongst friends and neighbors.

With all kinds of Salmon coming to the smaller rivers of the Valley soon, the chance to actively cast for fish will be plenty, so a little relaxed plunking is not a bad idea while the hot weather is here.

Good luck out there.

Bent Rod

Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca