Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone know if fresh mackerel are in at Steveston?  (Read 4887 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
Anyone know if fresh mackerel are in at Steveston?
« on: August 13, 2012, 01:17:21 PM »

Anyone know if fresh mackerel are in at Steveston? Prices this year?

Thanks

Damien

• Old Timer
Re: Anyone know if fresh mackerel are in at Steveston?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 02:14:39 PM »

Those don't look fresh.

;D

Steelie1030

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 02:28:33 PM »

MMMMM...I love smoked mackeral, I grew up on mackeral..being from the east coast..used to catch'em off the wharves in Halifax.

aaron.az

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 04:52:29 PM »

saw rod posted up some pictures of fresh mackerel he got? where do you fish for them? and what do they bite on?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 04:53:31 PM »

saw rod posted up some pictures of fresh mackerel he got? where do you fish for them? and what do they bite on?

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2012/08/12/fun-with-a-less-desirable-species/

Dogbreath

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 05:08:11 PM »

A more unappetising mess was rarely created-you gotta be tough to eat fried crud like that.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 06:11:00 PM »

mackeral will bite anything that moves.nothing but trouble for our young salmon. kill kill them if you get the chance.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 08:16:40 PM »

Some guys would know how to cook them up. ??? I personaly don't care for them unless their canned.  :-X Big curse when your out Salmon fishing and those badboys show up.  ;D Yes they will bite anything your throwing at them. 8)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 08:19:35 PM »

Anyone know if fresh mackerel are in at Steveston? Prices this year?

Thanks

you still use that plate after that :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 10:56:05 PM »

MMMMM...I love smoked mackeral, I grew up on mackeral..being from the east coast..used to catch'em off the wharves in Halifax.

me too , brined overnight, and smoked cool for 12 hours. yum

also fresh morning caught (before they darken) rolled in steel cut oats and grilled or fried.

also take some of the smoked and cooked meat and make chowder subbing mackerel for clams or add to clams. (kedigree)

poor folks food but honest.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 11:01:46 PM »

Correct me if Im wrong but dont Mackeral in our waters rely on water temp.
Take the T out of Morton.

Steelie1030

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 11:25:50 AM »

I think they are temp dependent. When the warm southern waters creep up the westcoast it brings them in. I remember catching mackeral off the dock at China Creek in Port Alberni many years ago. Having said that, the mackeral schools would come in along the shoreline in Nova Scotia in August and September when the water was warmer. They were very easy to catch as anything shiny would work, especially mackeral jigs and feathered hooks above the jig. There were times when you could catch as many mackeral as hooks on your line. One jig and five feathers produced 6 fish at once. Although it was tough to land all six at once, with the fish zig-zagging in all directions. Brings back great memories!!

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 04:16:52 PM »

yes they require slightly warmer water temps, I'm told that it is not a huge differance but never the less ... fished for mackerel as lad in Scotland and also fished for them out just off of sooke in 71-2 -ish while here on holiday.

I'd say they are preditory on salmonids and also herring but unless they hung around for several seasons ,I'd say it's just a normal cycle in currents and water temp fluctuations. Early explorers reported catching mackerel in the early 1800's.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 04:26:02 PM »

I think they are temp dependent. When the warm southern waters creep up the westcoast it brings them in. I remember catching mackeral off the dock at China Creek in Port Alberni many years ago. Having said that, the mackeral schools would come in along the shoreline in Nova Scotia in August and September when the water was warmer. They were very easy to catch as anything shiny would work, especially mackeral jigs and feathered hooks above the jig. There were times when you could catch as many mackeral as hooks on your line. One jig and five feathers produced 6 fish at once. Although it was tough to land all six at once, with the fish zig-zagging in all directions. Brings back great memories!!
me too,

as lads we'd get on the bus down to the coast have a cook out etc. and when in season fish the mackerel, then back on the bus looking like we'd been in a knife fight back home, with our pails full. they'd get cleaned up and brined, and my pal's dad would take em down to the smoker at the pork factory.

Often shared with neighbours and family.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 06:25:01 PM »

When we cleaned ours a few days ago, we found quite a few squid in their stomach cavity.