Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's Spawning in the Cheakamus These Days?  (Read 2036 times)

Dogbreath

What's Spawning in the Cheakamus These Days?
« on: August 12, 2012, 08:38:12 PM »

Took a small tour group up to Whistler today and because it was a small group was able to take them to both the Squamish (Eagle Run) & the Cheakamus (Bailey Bridge).

Imagine my surprise upon seeing a Salmon splashing in the gravel above the bridge-obviously digging a redd!

Any idea what kind it might have been-seems tad early for anything but P*nks and that was all last year.

joshhowat

Re: What's Spawning in the Cheakamus These Days?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 10:05:26 PM »

Spring
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 06:52:23 AM »

The start of the summer chinook spawning is just begining.

Dogbreath

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 09:18:50 AM »

Thanks Guys!

FishingFitz

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 02:17:21 PM »

The chinook run is very small so you might want to move around a little , and remember that there is a bait ban on the river to avoid hooking the trout and char to deeply.

best of luck

Dogbreath

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 05:05:55 PM »

Read my post-I'm not fishing  just taking people through to see the scenery-that's my job.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 08:50:13 PM »

The start of the summer chinook spawning is just begining.

Bkk are the numbers of chinooks stable or improving? Fished the river hard for several years and has a special place in my fishing career. Miss it up there...
always a student

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 03:46:06 PM »

Hard to say definitively as it has been difficult to get a good feel of what been happening the last couple of years due to high summer water levels. Last year it was looking OK until the water cleared and the huge number of pinks  just kind of took over. From that point on I did not see a single summer chinook either live, dead or any redds but before that they were around in reasonable amounts. My guess is they were displaced by the hordes of spawning pinks. Kind of like little dogs bugging big dogs  until they disappeared either to heavy fast water where they were unobservable or they buggered off back to the Squamish. Hard to say either way.

The fall chinook were OK but not nearly as good as the year before. That being said, the fall reds were much more plentiful than in most years with the exception of 2010 when it was just stupid for them ( for the Cheakamus anyway).

The Ashlu is / was a bust and is on very hard times and is showing no recovery at all.

The Cheakamus is the best of all the tributary streams but the big question mark is : How many fish spawn in the Squamish mainstem. It is very large and very glacial so you just don't see or find carcasses.

If I had to make an educated guess , I would say most years the Cheakamus is holding it's own at a moderate level. Hope this helps.