Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caught my first salmon today.....  (Read 6069 times)

mko72

Caught my first salmon today.....
« on: August 05, 2012, 11:07:58 PM »

....and it felt damn good.

I think I understand gambling addiction now.  Know what I mean?

fishbandit66

Re: Caught my first salmon today.....
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 11:54:47 PM »

Where? What species and size? What method / bait?    You cant start a post like that and not give details!

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 12:37:38 AM »

I caught my first chinook last season. I'm hooked; halp!!

;D ;D
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Bandit420

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 12:43:43 AM »

I hope you didnt floss(snag) your first salmon. There are much more efficient ways.
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

FishingKing

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 07:54:06 AM »

my guess would be, on the Fraser on the Vedder or in the ocean  :P

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 09:22:18 AM »

I hope you didnt floss(snag) your first salmon. There are much more efficient ways.

Why would it matter? All we want is new people to get into this sport.
Who cares if you start out flossing, everyone develops their methods. Everyone's main goal at first is to catch fish.
After a while, catching so many fish gets boring, then you switch to float fishing. After a while that gets boring too, and you progress to spoon/fly, etc.

I don't get why so many people make a big fuss over flossing, seems to start a debate in every thread even when the thread isn't related.
As long as they are fishing legally and keeping fish that are only snagged in the mouth who cares. FN and commies in the salt take way more fish.

And to be honest, I don't think there is a more "efficient" way, just maybe more "ethical" ways. I could out fish myself 10 to 1 if I were flossing somewhere.

Congrats mko, hopefully the first of many to come!

Cheers,
Dan

hillbros_96

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 09:26:07 AM »

Congrats MKO, I know the feeling, I caught my first salmon this week as well.  What a rush.  I am definitely hooked and the honey do list is keeping me away this weekend.  Here is to hoping you catch another one soon.

PS it was not flossed so we do not go down that road again.

mko72

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 09:30:00 AM »

Ha ha, not flossing.

Details:

Hatchery Coho, about 3 lbs, 1/2 oz. silver croc w/ red stripe, 14lb mainline, 10 lb leader.

Credit goes to the stranger who said "slow your retrieve down just a little" then BAM! "Fish on!"

I caught another one, but I don't think it counts if the fish gets off the hook right as it gets to shore right?

I haven't been salmon fishing since I was 9 years old (where my one salmon got away). The spoon even had little teeth marks in it, just like on TV!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 10:09:10 AM »

Ha ha, not flossing.

Details:

Hatchery Coho, about 3 lbs, 1/2 oz. silver croc w/ red stripe, 14lb mainline, 10 lb leader.

Credit goes to the stranger who said "slow your retrieve down just a little" then BAM! "Fish on!"

I caught another one, but I don't think it counts if the fish gets off the hook right as it gets to shore right?

I haven't been salmon fishing since I was 9 years old (where my one salmon got away). The spoon even had little teeth marks in it, just like on TV!

Congrats! Nothing better than the feeling of enticing that fish to take your presentation. Now you have an addiction to deal with....   ;D
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

azafai

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 11:07:49 AM »

Who cares if you start out flossing, everyone develops their methods. Everyone's main goal at first is to catch fish.
After a while, catching so many fish gets boring, then you switch to float fishing. After a while that gets boring too, and you progress to spoon/fly, etc.

I don't get why so many people make a big fuss over flossing, seems to start a debate in every thread even when the thread isn't related.
As long as they are fishing legally and keeping fish that are only snagged in the mouth who cares. FN and commies in the salt take way more fish.

And to be honest, I don't think there is a more "efficient" way, just maybe more "ethical" ways. I could out fish myself 10 to 1 if I were flossing somewhere.

Cheers,
Dan

X2

regards.

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »

Cheers,
Dan

What a post!  Thanks Dan. The best post to describe the migration of a new fisherman from a greenie to a pro. This is especially true for those who don't really like eating fish much and don't have a large family who eats fish. Who need all that extra fish in the freezer? I have a good friend who lives near the Vedder. As a retiree he fishes all the time for fun and he was very good at it. Not to say the salmon, he gets bored even for catching too many steelheads with roe and metal. So he now exclusively fishes with spey and self-tied flies. He had 3 spey rods of varying weights. He fits exactly what you describe.

Congrats mko. The first salmon is almost memorable. I spent first 6 months without a fish over 20 years ago when I started, and I still member the thrill of that first coho.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:35:59 AM by liketofish »

FishingFitz

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 12:07:43 PM »

Ahh, I remember my first coho. Way to go buddy! Were you by any chance fishing the mouth of the capilano?

Bandit420

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 03:25:50 PM »

Ha ha, not flossing.

Details:

I haven't been salmon fishing since I was 9 years old (where my one salmon got away). The spoon even had little teeth marks in it, just

like on TV!

Nice job on the capilano coho!

Bandit420

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 03:35:51 PM »

And to be honest, I don't think there is a more "efficient" way, just maybe more "ethical" ways. I could out fish myself 10 to 1 if I were

flossing somewhere.

This is a public forum and everyone is allowed to say and express whatever it is the like to say, to an extent of course. If I can persuade a new angler to think negatively about a form of fishing before they have even participated in it. Is a great thing. Being ethical should just be common sense, and being efficient is just benefiting from being ethical ;)

Cheers,
Dan

mko72

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 06:46:50 PM »

Has anyone got some tips for playing salmon?

the first one came off right as I got it to shore and I THINK it was because I let tension off the line so the second time around, I made a point of keeping the rod tip up and had success.

Any other tips?