Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2012 floss-out  (Read 69663 times)

liketofish

• Old Timer
2012 floss-out
« on: July 29, 2012, 12:47:22 AM »

Ya, it was crazy for so many guys willing to shell out $$$ of gas to go after an illusive fish. I got my fish pretty fast but most guys have been there from before first light and had nothing. Fishing Scales Bar is an expensive proposition. Very few fish, possibly getting a parking ticket (as there are next to nothing to park legally for so many fishermen), risking a violation ticket for fishing past the boundary (because of lack of space on the bar for so many fishermen), and now you risk having another ticket from the train people (because you have to cross their darn domain to get to your Fraser fishing haven). Probably much better off to check your back lane for that food-fish truck.  ;) ;D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:14:07 AM by liketofish »

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
Re: 2012 floss-out
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 07:53:21 AM »

Probally so Zoo like cause from what i am hearing,the only bar thats fishable so far. Combat fishing at its finest. Gives our sport a black eye in my books.  :'(

mikeyman

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 08:35:07 AM »

I gave up fishing the Fraser for Springs and Sockeye...flossing sucks! The gong show sucks! To many people...It makes fishing not fun...It is supposed to be fun. I fish out in the saltwater for them...The springs should be targeted by bar fishing or creek mouth float fishing anyways, flossing or snagging...might as well just swing a net out. By the sounds of things there won't be a sport fishing opening for sockeye this season anyways. Numbers are to low. I say leave it closed and let the fish spawn and hope the next cycle is better.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 11:13:12 AM »

I gave up fishing the Fraser for Springs and Sockeye...flossing sucks! The gong show sucks! To many people...It makes fishing not fun...It is supposed to be fun. I fish out in the saltwater for them...The springs should be targeted by bar fishing or creek mouth float fishing anyways, flossing or snagging...might as well just swing a net out. By the sounds of things there won't be a sport fishing opening for sockeye this season anyways. Numbers are to low. I say leave it closed and let the fish spawn and hope the next cycle is better.

So happy to hear you're in such an optimistic and happy state of mind. I haven't been out so far this year but when I do go out it's usually with 2 or 3 or 4 friends. I have the luxury of having relatives that own property in Hope so when we go we can spend as long as we like at thier houses, relax, recoup, fillet our fish and recreate. It's always, always a blast. My sis loves it cus' she has visitors she hasn't seen in a while plus fresh fish as we always leave her lot's.

As far as the bb'sing issue goes, give it a rest, nobody cares and those that do scream and shout and cry about it are not heard or listened to by the bbouncer's of the world. I know, I've been fishing this way on the Fraser since it was legal and I've fished with other members of FWR on the Fraser in the same manner. Do we have fun, Oh Yeah, loads of fun. Do we hear or listen to the screamer's of the world aghast at what we do. No, hardly ever think of them. If they want to waste thier time and life screaming about something thats legal and fun to do then thats thier choice.

But don't you think it's unethical and feel bad about yourself for fishing this way ? Oh Yeah, I'm so sorry everyone. Gee I wish I wuz a top rod like all you guy's. Not ! If you've ever seen a semi full of bird cages of chickens on the highway headed to the factory for KFC or seen video's of cow's getting butchered you would realize that bb'sing a fish is pretty mediocre compared to the atrocities that are happening in the world today.  

Mikeyman flossing may suck in your mind but until it's made illegal by the DFO you may as well suck it up and take it like a man because it will continue. I myself never floss anywhere but on the Fraser and I never go to the Scale Bar. We have our own special place where few go and we catch truck loads of fish. We have more fun than any of you could imagine, shangri la really.

The season is just beginning and I'll be out for my first adventure meeting friends I haven't seen in a year, laughing and enjoying life later this week and catching springs like we do every year. All I can say for those so against bb'sing is live with it and quit your belly-aching and crying into the wind because nobody, and I mean nobody is listening.

Good Fishing All !!!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 01:06:47 PM by Athezone »

mikeyman

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 05:20:42 PM »

Here we go again...ha ha...everything being equal, the strike of a fish is one of the most exciting parts of fishing...seeing that float go down...a downrigger plug ripped...the fishing rod bouncing, the solid strike of a fish when you are stripping your fly in...compared to bounce bounce bounce...whomp...snag....fish on coming down, get the f@#k out of the way...lol, I don't know... I have fished for awhile and tried so many techniques...and all I am saying is flossing straight up sucks...all the power to you if you want to do it, I just think there are much more rewarding ways of angling a fish. Tight lines and enjoy the show. It isn't about whining either by the way...I have a choice to participate, I chose not to. One less guy to crowd out the mass line of chaos. 

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 06:31:08 PM »

Well said Mikeyman and like you say, it's a personal choice. I know some people that like to ride thier bikes to work, some drive thier cars and some take transit, ergo', a personal choice. And I wasn't necessarilly inferring that you were whining and crying but you have to admit there are lot's of people that do whine and cry a lot about bb'ing.

I'm also happy there will be one less person fishing because it does get pretty crazy with people, specially when the sockeye is open but then again I fish the Vedder and seen just as bad a gong show, lot's of times. The Best to you Mikeyman !!!

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 06:53:38 PM »

Ya, it was crazy for so many guys willing to shell out $$$ of gas to go after an illusive fish. I got my fish pretty fast but most guys have been there from before first light and had nothing. Fishing Scales Bar is an expensive proposition. Very few fish, possibly getting a parking ticket (as there are next to nothing to park legally for so many fishermen), risking a violation ticket for fishing past the boundary (because of lack of space on the bar for so many fishermen), and now you risk having another ticket from the train people. Probably much better off to check your back lane for that food-fish truck.  ;) ;D

how do you put a price on passion?

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 07:14:11 PM »

how do you put a price on passion?

Haha no doubt, if it was about trying to cover my costs with the meat I take home I would need a dozen more freezers and that still wouldn't put me ahead...
always a student

Bandit420

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 10:20:11 PM »

Here we go again...ha ha...everything being equal, the strike of a fish is one of the most exciting parts of fishing...seeing that float go down...a downrigger plug ripped...the fishing rod bouncing, the solid strike of a fish when you are stripping your fly in...compared to bounce bounce bounce...whomp...snag....fish on coming down, get the f@#k out of the way...lol, I don't know... I have fished for awhile and tried so many techniques...and all I am saying is flossing straight up sucks...all the power to you if you want to do it, I just think there are much more rewarding ways of angling a fish. Tight lines and enjoy the show. It isn't about whining either by the way...I have a choice to participate, I chose not to. One less guy to crowd out the mass line of chaos. 

X2
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 11:37:08 AM »

I agree with Athezone. The Fraser sping/sockey season is now almost an annual festival/ritual, where many fishermen unseen for a while get together to kick start the fishing season. It is also a time when family can get out to celebrate fishing together (as compared to the tough winter steelhead season which is filled with hours of solitude). It is also a time when fisherman can truly say they will have some fresh fish to enjoy together with their family and friends.

Saying that, bouncing for sockeye is probably a no brainer for most fishermen regardless of skills. But bouncing for springs and having the confidence to take your prize home almost every trip you go is not something that can apply to the sockeye crowd. In every bar, you will consistently see only those few guys who consistently take their spring, even on most difficult fishing days. Fishing springs require you reading the river topography during the low water cycle to see where the springs will likely travel and stop for rest in a particualr bar. The bouncing technique is also very important even if it may be flossing, such that only those experienced hands can hook up much, much more frequent than a normal sockeye bouncer. So in that sense, bouncing for spring is also a test of skill. Geez, perhaps we should have a bouncing contest at Scale Bar, C&R only, the guy with the most spring hookups win and you all can suggest the winning price.  :D ;D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:44:54 AM by liketofish »

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 01:34:15 PM »

Are there any bars left where one can bar fish and not be crowded out by BBers?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 01:47:41 PM »

Are there any bars left where one can bar fish and not be crowded out by BBers?

Lots of them....  but you need a boat to reach them.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 02:20:08 PM »

Yep, Alwaysfishing nailed it. Sure wish I still had my boat because the worlds a great place, its the people that cause the problems. Seems no matter where you go if you don't have a boat there will be a fair bit of people. Thing is the bar I go to I know most of the locals that live in Hope and they know my sister cus' she used to own a restaurant there so were all friends and it's just Great to reconnect.

Liketofish is right on too, although bb'sing is snagging or flossing said salmon out of the 30 or 40 fishermen only a few will go home with one and navigating the underwater terrain is no easy task. I always say, "Anyone can catch them but it takes skill to bring them in." And he's right also in that it is an annual ritual, at least with the many I know. Family and friends, some fishing, some not, reconnecting and bonding once again and waiting to hear the shout of an excited fisherman saying he's got one.

Regardless of your feelings concerning bb'sing it is very, very enjoyable to many people, hence the crowds. And if the most knowledgable and discerning group (hopefully) the owner's of the fishing tackle stores felt that bb'sing was unethical and wrong all they would need to do to stop it is stop selling bouncing bettie's. But maybe ethic's fly out the window when the dollar walks through the door.

I wish everyone a safe and happy long weekend that is fast approaching and regardless of how you fish, smile, be nice to other's around you and be happy that we live in a world of such beauty and splendour.

Good Fishing All !!! 

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 04:22:18 PM »

It is to laugh, I love reading posts in the anti farm forums about people bithching about damage done by the farms, yet they are here just waitin to fill up the freezer..... ??? ???
I guess if the fish farms dont get em then the sporties and commies will.
Take the T out of Morton.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 04:47:08 PM »

It is to laugh, I love reading posts in the anti farm forums about people bithching about damage done by the farms, yet they are here just waitin to fill up the freezer..... ??? ???
I guess if the fish farms dont get em then the sporties and commies will.

Guess you missed the part about fun, friendship and bonding once again, lol. It's not always about filling the fridge.