Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Going to Oliver for 10 days, any help?  (Read 1933 times)

Dryfly22

Going to Oliver for 10 days, any help?
« on: July 30, 2012, 08:52:54 PM »

Heading out and will have a 16 ft Lund to fish from.  Will go after Bass in Skaha and Osoyoos, try the fly rod as well, and try a Dry Fly early in the canal while everyone else is asleep since I will be camped right beside it.  Leaving on Wednesday.  Any info about Socks still being open or Bass or other tips would be appreciated.  Last year at the same time saw lots of BIG carp while in the canoe by the train bridge at the South end of Skaha.  Weeds everywhere, and I bet they will dive into them if hooked.  Bought some small pink Hoochies today and mini flashers incase Socks are still open.  I will be checking the regs, and get the updates emailed from DFO to me thanks to Rods post a little while back, but I am not sure if, or how long they will be open.  Will be going for all species just for fun.  Don't normally keep fish in the summer due to the warm water, and will not be trageting trout this time of the year.  Best to leave them be.

DF.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
Re: Going to Oliver for 10 days, any help?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 10:40:17 PM »

Sounds like you've set yourself up for a fun trip :) Couple of other things to try are, if your staying in Oliver, Vasaux Lake is just up the hwy and has lots of bass in it. They are eager biters and are fairly easy to find. Not the biggest bass in the world but there are plenty of them. Have caught some fair sized ones myself in there as well but its mostly the numbers of fish which is the draw. Have also caught some trout in the lake as well and can be a fun by-catch. Also do not overlook the Okanogan River, the river has bass, rainbows, carp and pikeminnow. The bass are on the smaller side in the river with my biggest around a couple pounds. The trout are harder to find but when you do they are on the larger side. I did not get a single trout out of that river under 12" and the average was 16" to 18" with the biggest almost 24". The only thing about the trout fishery is to be careful and practice as much c+r as possible as there are not a lot of them in there. My best day was 5 fish with a good day being 2-3. It almost feels like steelheading at times. Now, I know you said you don't want to fish for trout but I just thought I'd let you know. The carp in there are fairly big as well but the trick is finding them and not spooking them. The Pikeminnow are your most eager biters and are also quite large. I have caught a couple in there in the 2-3 pound range by accident while trying for bass or trout. There easy to find and will make up the majority of the fish you catch. I have found this fishery to be a great one to kill a couple hours at. Good luck and have fun!
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

buzzbomb

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 10:55:19 PM »

Pizza 97 on the south side of town is one of my favourites - lots of spicy options and a 2 for 1 deal.  They open about 4 so great to pick up on the way back from fishing.  I wish I was going on this trip; Oliver is like a second home to me and I haven't been there for a few years. :(
5% Alc./Vol.

FishingFitz

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 11:01:30 PM »

are you near the similikameen river? theyve got plenty, and i mean alot of 1 - 2.5lb rainbows that take drys quite well. Also some whitefish in there.

Dryfly22

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 12:08:52 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.  Last year when we did this trip i had truck problems so we brought the canoe and fished Vasaux and South end of Skaha.  Got into some Smallies but the wind was an issue and no anchor along.  I have also fished the Oxbows at Osoyoos but only early in the year so I am thinking they will be in the deeper water.
thanks for the pizza tip, I will try that out for sure.  Never have tried the Simillkimeen, it sure looked nice and it will be interesting to see how high it is on the way up.  Maybe on the way back down.  I hear the water in the canal that runs from Skaha to Osoyoos is really high right now.
I will be on the water lots with the GF in a blue 16ft Lund pro sport so if any body sees me up there say hi and stop for a pop.

DF.