Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gear question: Diawa TD Luna or Shimano Calcutta B reel  (Read 6211 times)

odesseus

Gear question: Diawa TD Luna or Shimano Calcutta B reel
« on: July 22, 2012, 05:27:50 PM »

Hi all - looking for advice on my pending reel purchase; finally ready to 'spring' for the good stuff this season (been fishing my Craigslist Abu for too long now). The setup will be used to target springs with a variety of different gear on the Vedder, Fraser and Upper Pitt River systems. Any feedback on longevity, cast-ability, maintenance and value is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

fishermanphil

• I'm a llama!
Re: Gear question: Diawa TD Luna or Shimano Calcutta B reel
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 06:08:59 PM »

Have 3 Calcutta reels and just love them. Smooth and dependable with excellent brake system. All round good reel. Will not buy another as thier parts have to be ordered from California now and when I have gone to Mikes they did not stock some stuff I needed. I repair and maintain my own reels as I put lots of mileage on them in a year, so access to parts is important as who wants to wait around for parts when you can be on the water. If is was not for that 2 thumps up for the Calcutta's

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 06:49:30 PM »

I have a calcutta  ct400  which i use for b.b on the fraser this reel is a workhorse i also do my own service when needed. i also have a LUNA 300 i use on the vedder,cap,etc this reel so far i have had no problems with in 3 yrs. smooth as silk almost as good as a calcutta TE. they are both excellent ,if i had to choose would take the LUNA.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:55:25 PM »

For calcutta parts go direct to shimano in surrey, phone them and they will send them ,prices are much less than mikes.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 07:24:10 PM »

I have a Luna 300 and I use it only in fresh water (cap, Vedder, Chehalis,etc.). I like the reel so far, smooth and excellent brake system. The only problem I am having (and it could be just my reel) is that I can't cast very long with it. I have played with the brake system but it hasn't resolved the issue yet. I also have a Shimano 400 that I use on the Fraser and salt water and it gives me excellent casting abilities.

I just don't know where Daiwa's repair and parts center is so can't comment on the parts/service. Good luck!

slick vic

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 07:25:59 PM »

For calcutta parts go direct to shimano in surrey, phone them and they will send them ,prices are much less than mikes.

It's not there anymore

slick vic

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 07:29:40 PM »

TD300/400TE for the Fraser. TD is smoother w/1 extra bearing, but TE has more drag. Small systems use TD 253.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 07:44:17 PM »

shimano service now in ontario. was deep blue in surrey for details phone 604-581-5914

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »

The Luna is great reel, Only downside with them are they dont cast as far as other level winds.
The Bigger The Better!

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 10:40:14 PM »

You may also want to check out this discussion:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=24740.0

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 07:50:38 AM »

TD300/400TE for the Fraser. TD is smoother w/1 extra bearing, but TE has more drag. Small systems use TD 253.

X2.  Slick Vic hit the nail on the head!!!  I have the Luna 253 and it is ultra smooth - used it for steelheading this year.  I also have a Calcutta 200B and I love that reel too.  Will probably use the Luna spooled with 12 lb mono for the Vedder, and the Calcutta spooled with 10 lb mono for "other" small streams and finesse fishing for coho!   ;)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 11:29:13 AM »

shimano service now in ontario. was deep blue in surrey for details phone 604-581-5914

Bad business decision IMO

odesseus

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 06:52:05 PM »

Thank you for all the responses and links to previous discussions of the same! What I'm hearing is that the Luna is overall a slightly higher quality piece (more metalic components etc) however the Shimano is perhaps a better casting reel. Based on this, I'll probably save a few bucks and grab the 400B as I'm looking for casting distance and control more than anything in a new reel.

rickjames_2

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 02:18:32 AM »

Not a bad choice between the 2 reels. I upgraded from an Abu C3 to a Calcutta 400B and have found it just prefect for fishing the Vedder, Fraser, and Stave. Great reel, no problems as of yet. Either way have fun!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

slick vic

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 07:26:28 AM »

You probably want to get the 400TE, not the 400B. 400B came out 10 years ago.