Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: KOHO Vs CROC Vs KIT A MAT  (Read 13043 times)

ALBA CHIEFISH

KOHO Vs CROC Vs KIT A MAT
« on: July 15, 2012, 07:55:45 PM »

Can anybody offer anything in the different actions of  Kohos, Crocs and Kitamat ?

I picked up one of each in similar sizes at Army & Navy and will chuck em out to see there depth and action.

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: KOHO Vs CROC Vs KIT A MAT
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 09:32:29 PM »

Got very well versed this year on the spoons. Started off in salmon season with coho and chinook and did very well. My ultimate goal was to be able to get steelhead on every trip out using them however. The beginning was rough, normally only getting maybe 1 fish a day and losing 4-6 spoons a day, but by the end I was only losing 1 spoon every couple/few trips and hitting 2-6 fish a trip. I would say I'm well towards my goal of being effective with them, so here's my input...

1) Crocs

Super enticing wiggle to them. The definitely look like a small baitfish. Nothing, and I mean nothing will beat these bad boys off the beach for coho, and with that being said not much beats them in the rivers either. They are a deep swimming spoon, their narrow body helps get them way down without catching water and rising up. These are good in fast, deep pools. Depending on reel-in speed however, like I said deadly off the beach. If retrieving isn't working for you, start twitching them. For some reason I would only hit a few fish retrieving, but once I switched to twitching I was into many 20+ fish days, not only on the island but on the Vedder as well. For twitching though you will want braided line, the fish hit on the flutter down and without braid (unless you can see them) it is very hard to feel and get a good hook set due to line stretch.

I would use them primarily on coho, dollies/bulls, rainbows, and cutthroat. Didn't have much luck with them for steelhead for some reason, and the same went for chinook and chromer chum.

2) Kohos 

These are much more of a mid level spoon. They have quite a thick body on them, but the motion drives fish nuts. These have a very similar shape to "Little Cleo" spoons, which is all I use now for steelhead. Not sure if they imitate a fish, or just draw attention or get the fish mad, but they work. You will want a walking speed run for these, and I don't normally fish them in water over 6 feet deep although you can just adjust how far upstream you cast to get them down accordingly. If water is dirty or a super deep pool I would reccomend these over Little Cleos. These, unlike Cleo's are real silver plating and will shine and reflect light much better and actually come off silver under water. Cleo's are Nickel plated and give off a black shine under water, that being said, Cleo's are around 4 bucks and Koho's are around 6. At this point in time Cleo's are my fav spoon for steelhead, and like I said are very similar to Koho so give them a try.

I would use these on springs (good success even as by-catch during steel season), coho (went nuts for Cleo's, but for some reason the Koho's don't get as much as a response), cutties, lotsa rainbows as by-catch, and of course steelhead.

3) Kitimat

Once again, a mid water level spoon. Not too much different action then a Koho, but big time different shape. I find they have a slightly slower kick than the kohos and crocs and require a faster retrieval speed. These use to be my favourite spoon for coho, especially in the illusion colouration (the blue/green shimmer). They will also swim up in the water, best tossed into backwaters or in slow moving runs. For some reason I have gone away from using these, maybe because crocs, cleos and kohos are all that I find to be super effective/useful.

Definitely give them a try for coho. Have hit 1 steelhead on them, but as said I prefer cleos or kohos (only use the kitmat on one trip so didn't really give it a chance). Apparently the springs love em in the BIG sizes. Obviously Cutties will go for them too, and I would assume bows would be right in there with them.

4) Other honourable mentions for spoons are :

K-Wobblers - money for coho, chromer chum and springers, steelhead don't mind them
Ironheads - steel love em
RVRFHSR- worked fairly well on everything

Cheers,
Dan

Cleo

Croc

Koho

Cleo again

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 09:43:05 PM »

BC Steel > the rest
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 09:58:41 PM »

BC Steel > the rest

Also $, I'm cheap. Cleo's all the way lol  ;D
Not to mention... same shape and swimming depth as cleos and koho spoons, maybe a little more slender like the RVRFHSR.
Think it all comes down to just getting something shiny in front of the fish.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 10:00:12 PM by Every Day »

kid fisherman

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 06:41:02 PM »

Dan,  after reading your post it looks like I will be chucking a lot more metal this year. I looks like something that you can pack light and beable to move lots. What type of rod setup do you recommend for this type of fishing . Thanks and sorry for the hijack!

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »

Gibbs makes great lures.Their croc alone has over 600 color and size combinations lol, deadly on coho, just sinks fast.
And the Coho, one of my favorites, try the smaller #35, still very heavy for distance casting
And the Kit a Mat, a slower wobbler, has its place but I never seem to use any of mine.

All great lures, all catch fish, but often just heavy brass that will sink and snag up, depending on where you fish, water depth, speed etc.
Technique makes ALL the difference, Ive seen it over and over.
Speed depth and other variables  can pay off huge, and having a lure that flutters at a slow speed without sinking will allow you that opportunity.
Color is important but not critical, metallic colors like brass copper etc are a good start.
The Gibbs K 3 wobbler is one way to go, small, great action and seldom seen among all the crocs etc. Also springs love it....
Little Cleo in 1/3 0z, many lures you can bulk order online from luremaking.com etc
or get fancy, the new replacement for the old Top of the line Mor Tac hammered Stilley spoon is out,
R&B lureCo.They have all the magic color combos like Silver Brass etc that are mojo
Or go old school and grind your old brass coho spoon down to the brass underneath, it will shine up just fine
good luck