Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bait bans  (Read 10909 times)

mko72

Bait bans
« on: July 15, 2012, 02:24:53 PM »

I need some clarification on the bait ban on the Cap that goes into effect Aug.1

If bait is considered to be roe, worms, and scented artificial baits, and lures are crocs, spinners and spoons.

What about gooey bobs and plastic worms?  they are replicating natural bait but usually don't have a scent. In my mind they would still count as "bait". 

Also, what about spin-n-glo's?

Is there a check list or something of do's and don'ts for bait bans?

Thanks

FishingFitz

Re: Bait bans
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 03:18:56 PM »

Bait bans refer to anything with a scent.
donts
roe, krill, worms, shrimp,

Do's

lures, jigs, plastic baits (jensen eggs, gooey bobs, pink worm), wool, flies

as long as you do not scent any of your artificial baits, u are alowed to use it.

one more cast

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 03:24:35 PM »

Bait bans refer to anything with a scent.
donts
roe, krill, worms, shrimp,

Do's

lures, jigs, plastic baits (jensen eggs, gooey bobs, pink worm), wool, flies

as long as you do not scent any of your artificial baits, u are alowed to use it.

All the jensen eggs I have are scented...not sure if they come unscented.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 04:07:25 PM »

All the jensen eggs I have are scented...not sure if they come unscented.
Go to any place other than Canadian Tires or Walmart, and you'll find unscented eggs.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 04:48:20 PM »

Unscented Jensen eggs, small gooey bobs are always available at your local tackle stores. Personally I prefer to use spoons and spinners during the bait ban on the Capilano River, but the hook-up rate is still pretty frustrating.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2011/09/29/frustrated-by-capilano-coho-salmon/

Last year we started using jigs, but ended up hooking a summer steelhead. Maybe we better stop using those to avoid by-catches. ;D

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2011/08/23/an-unexpected-lucky-catch/

mko72

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 07:21:31 PM »

Thanks for the info. 

So once the bait ban goes into effect, you can still float fish but instead of roe on the line, you gotta have wool, or something else that is unscented?

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 08:48:11 PM »

From the regs:

“Bait” is any foodstuff or natural substance
used to attract fish, other than wood,
cotton, wool, hair, fur or feathers
. It
does not include fin fish, other than
roe. It includes roe, worms and other
edible substances, as well as scents and
flavourings containing natural substances
or nutrients.

So, yes, wool or something else unscented on the line (e.g. artificial fly, blade, rubber eggs, etc).

If you could find some kind of a scent that that contains nothing natural or caloric in it that might technically fly, though I'm not sure that would be in the "spirit" of the reg. I don't know if they make anything like that, but they make articial colouring and sweeteners so maybe there is a product on the market.

Good luck! :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 08:50:12 PM by zabber »
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 09:02:34 PM »

If you could find some kind of a scent that that contains nothing natural or caloric in it that might technically fly, though I'm not sure that would be in the "spirit" of the reg. I don't know if they make anything like that, but they make articial colouring and sweeteners so maybe there is a product on the market.

Before anyone is considering going down that road, lets consider the purpose of this regulation, which is the reduction of by-catches of summer steelhead by bait because it often results in deep-hooking, high frequency of repeat captures thus higher C&R mortality.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 09:26:49 PM »

Before anyone is considering going down that road, lets consider the purpose of this regulation, which is the reduction of by-catches of summer steelhead by bait because it often results in deep-hooking, high frequency of repeat captures thus higher C&R mortality.

I would be more worried about all the snaggers continually snagging and dragging them on the rocks or even killing them.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

mko72

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 10:55:18 AM »

I would be more worried about all the snaggers continually snagging and dragging them on the rocks or even killing them.

This might be a dump question, but is "plunking" the same as "bottom bouncing"?

Also, why do some people say bottom bouncing is flossing and some don't? Is it an issue with leader length?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 10:58:21 AM »

I would be concerned about both. Higher mortality rate by bait fishing, foul hooking, poaching are all serious issues.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 11:53:01 AM »

This might be a dump question, but is "plunking" the same as "bottom bouncing"?

Plunking=bar fishing

alan701

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 03:01:17 PM »

Bottom bouncing is when the weight bounces (or drags) along the bottom. Plunking is when it sits at the bottom if the river and doesnt move. Usually very heavy weight

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 04:28:04 PM »

Flossing is the attempt of dragging your line near the bottom so your hook can randomly hook onto the fish. When the fish is hooked near its mouth region, the individual who catches it will claim it as a legal catch and retain it. This can be done with any fishing technique. You can adjust a float depth so the hook and weight is dredging along the bottom until a fish is hooked. You can use a float-less rig such as what is done on the Fraser River and simply let the current carries your rig along the bottom. You can use a heavy sink tip when fly fishing so your line sweeps across the bottom to catch the fish in the mouth. The method does not involve triggering the fish to chase and bite your offering, but it is simply a legitimized form of foul hooking fish that are not willing to bite. Some people do it, others do not, depending on your views of recreational fishing.

Bottom bouncing involves using only weight to bring your bait, lure to where the fish are. It is used when the depth of the river is too deep for a float to work effectively. Enough weight is used to keep the bait in the strike zone, but not too much so the weight does not end up dragging along the bottom.

Plunking is bottom fishing with bait or lures. Enough weight is used to keep your rig anchored on the bottom and not carried away by the current. It is commonly used in the Fraser River and its large tributaries.

mko72

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2012, 10:31:51 PM »

Thanks.  It sounds like plunking does not happen in the Cap, if so why?

From what I've read it's quite common in Washington and Oregon.  Thoughts?

Is it hard to detect bites?