Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River, July 11th 2012  (Read 1933 times)

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
Capilano River, July 11th 2012
« on: July 11, 2012, 03:53:37 PM »

Fished the Cap yesterday from about 11am to 4pm.

Upon arrival at my parking spot I saw a gentleman carrying a big chromer back to his vehicle, and when I got to my spot I noticed some fish splashing around as well as a fresh liver on a rock; "it's going to be a good day" I told myself.

As I was baiting my hook the fish stopped splashing about and that was that; no more fish jumping for a few hours.

I worked the pools and runs at different depths and with different offerings: roe, jensen eggs, a Colorado, and a Croc. After a couple of hours without a bite I had some lunch and head further downstream, spending a bit of time working one of Andre's "Cap Buggers" through a run and pool with my 5/6wt before crossing the river.

Spent a couple more hours fishing another run/pool with roe and blades but no luck. Saw a bright "mini" jump out of the water as I was re-rigging, and figured he was taunting me ("can't catch me!").

The only thing I pulled out of the water all day was a rather large silver spoon with a treble hook attached to it; seriously?!?!

All-in-all it was another nice, albeit unproductive, few hours on the water (well, for me :P).
A rig out of water catches no fish.

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
Re: Capilano River, July 11th 2012
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 05:26:33 PM »

nice report and prrefect day to be out, but today is Wednesday lol   ::)
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 05:43:08 PM »

Thanks for the report Zabber, sounds like you had more fun than I had working in the sun all day, lol. You must of been stoked seeing that guy walking out with one and then seeing one splashing. And checking the camera the water's at 2 and a half so still enough water for the fish to get up with so we may all still have a few days left to try our luck. Too bad I have to work Thur. Friday,
Sat, errrrghh.

Nice report though and I hope you catch a few on your next trip !!!

zabber

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 02:32:14 PM »

sounds like you had more fun than I had working in the sun all day, lol.

Haha, what can I say? It's nice to be on "sabbatical" :P

Aye the best time to be on the Cap be at the first light, and at the last light.  Once the light of the sun does illuminate the canyon, ya be done for the day.

I've read this is the case but have also read a good afternoon report so figured I'd try my luck at a convenient time and one where there would be fewer fishermen on the river. Will have to go by "early bird gets the worm" next time, or stop by before sunset. Thanks for the tip!

Bandit420

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 07:36:10 PM »

I havnt been out at the cap during first or last light but im sure it produces if the tides say so. Those coho fly through that river in about 3-4 hrs from the mouth to the hatchery.  Ive been out 5 times this year producing 9 fish and one wild all between the hours of 7am-2pm all timed on the incoming tide. all salmonids dont like the sun because it blinds them and they feel vulnerable therefore the haul my friend through that river.
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:33:58 PM »

Fished the Cap yesterday from about 11am to 4pm.

Upon arrival at my parking spot I saw a gentleman carrying a big chromer back to his vehicle, and when I got to my spot I noticed some fish splashing around as well as a fresh liver on a rock; "it's going to be a good day" I told myself.

As I was baiting my hook the fish stopped splashing about and that was that; no more fish jumping for a few hours.

I worked the pools and runs at different depths and with different offerings: roe, jensen eggs, a Colorado, and a Croc. After a couple of hours without a bite I had some lunch and head further downstream, spending a bit of time working one of Andre's "Cap Buggers" through a run and pool with my 5/6wt before crossing the river.

Spent a couple more hours fishing another run/pool with roe and blades but no luck. Saw a bright "mini" jump out of the water as I was re-rigging, and figured he was taunting me ("can't catch me!").

The only thing I pulled out of the water all day was a rather large silver spoon with a treble hook attached to it; seriously?!?!

All-in-all it was another nice, albeit unproductive, few hours on the water (well, for me :P).

Hey zabber.  With respect to "Andre", are you referring to the guy who works at Pacific Angler?

zabber

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 11:51:56 AM »

I havnt been out at the cap during first or last light but im sure it produces if the tides say so. Those coho fly through that river in about 3-4 hrs from the mouth to the hatchery.  Ive been out 5 times this year producing 9 fish and one wild all between the hours of 7am-2pm all timed on the incoming tide. all salmonids dont like the sun because it blinds them and they feel vulnerable therefore the haul *** through that river.

Good to know  :)

Hey zabber.  With respect to "Andre", are you referring to the guy who works at Pacific Angler?

That's the one.