Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mortons Latest Error  (Read 20848 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Mortons Latest Error
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2012, 12:42:28 PM »

A good background article on Morton.  http://kickasscanadians.ca/dr-alexandra-morton

af, you're starting to sound like the heathen who finds religion or a blind man who suddenly sees; your passion for Alexandra Morton is becoming a bit overwhelming for me to read.
I suppose I could counter your favourable account of Ms. Morton's achievements by saying she has been rebuked or shown to be wrong on virtually all fronts, from sea lice causing extirpations to PCB’s to yellow pinks to diseases to antibiotic use, etc, and that would enforce JPW’s argument that this debate just continues in circles.
So I won't.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2012, 01:16:16 PM »

It's interesting to see you soft peddling around the tactics Morton uses....   I find it amusing to see the restrain you are showing, when we know how you really feel about Morton and her ability to draw public attention to the plight of the wild salmon.

forgot to mention:

I would suggest that the reason for my approach is self-evident, but since it's you, I'll explain.

My approach to these discussions is to accord everyone the respect that their postings invite.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2012, 02:03:05 PM »

I suppose I could counter your favourable account of Ms. Morton's achievements ........... that would enforce JPW’s argument that this debate just continues in circles.
So I won't.

I appreciate that.

Too bad Absolon doesn't take the same approach....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2012, 03:20:29 PM »

LOL!

I bet you're great at dodgeball.

JPW

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2012, 03:36:55 PM »

Round and round it goes.  

I don't mean any disrespect by not answering all of your questions Absolon, but I feel a bit like I'm being baited.  I don't have all the answers, I'm just someone concerned about  whether or not my son will be able to enjoy fishing as much as I do.  I don't think salmon farms are the biggest threat to wild salmon, but I'm not convinced that open net pens are a risk free alternative to providing fresh fish to consumers; they may be the lesser of the evils, but I've yet to see anyone suggest it.  It seems for most people they are either the catalyst to fish armageddon or the saviour of wild stocks and our demand for fish.  My wish is that until we have a better understanding of the effect an open net pen has that they be moved to closed containment.  As I said in the very beginning, why take the risk?  A foreign companies GP isn't a very good reason in my opinion.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2012, 03:45:15 PM »

OK I am jumping in now .....

I have heard a lot of reasons that the farms should be removed...
Can the Pro farm please provide any benefits that the farms give to the ocean in any way ......
Why should they be there?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2012, 05:26:53 PM »

Can the Pro farm please provide any benefits that the farms give to the ocean in any way ......
Well, for a start, employment for all involved in the industry, including jobs in spin off business’s, mainly in coastal towns but, as in all economies, further reaching than that.  The tax base that comes from these jobs keeps many of these small communities alive financially.

The issue no one wants to address is that many wild Pacific and Atlantic stocks of salmon are now extinct and the remaining are fast on their way to extirpation.  As recent publications have shown this has been happening since the 1800’s world wide including North America from California to Alaska.   During the next 20 to perhaps an optimistic 50 years these remaining wild stocks will be under enormous pressures from all things anthropogenic.  Thing is we know these changes are coming and we are not, will not, and cannot solve the problems
Bottom line is wild salmon will soon be a memory and it’s time BC realizes that and gets behind aquaculture, specifically salmon farming before the rest of the world beats us to it.
Of course, that’s just my opinion.

dnibbles

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2012, 05:33:48 PM »

I'll answer, despite not being "pro-farm". FYI- Disagreeing with AM's methods and materials does not make one "pro-farm". It makes one "anti-propaganda". I also dislike fish farm propaganda. It's just not nearly as visible.

One reason: People like eating salmon. They can eat wild or farmed. Killing wild salmon for people to eat is harmful to said wild salmon. Providing a farmed fish for them to eat directly benefits wild salmon, as there is less demand for them to be harvested.

Yes yes, I know there's so much more, but take that for what it's worth. Disclaimer: I try not to eat farmed salmon. Not for ethical reasons, but I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to the taste. I think 97% of the public couldn't care less.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2012, 05:49:08 PM »

Neither of these replies answer my question what good do they do for the wild salmon or it's environment .

A very few jobs are not a good reason and supply and demand will drive salmon prices back up where a delicacy should be.
If all the money that is invested in farms and fighting farms was invested in habitat and restorations there could be more than enough Salmon to go around at least that is the gamble I wish for .... Not well they are going to die out anyways so what does it matter,

dnibbles

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2012, 06:08:46 PM »

Neither of these replies answer my question what good do they do for the wild salmon or it's environment .

If all the money that is invested in farms and fighting farms was invested in habitat and restorations there could be more than enough Salmon to go around at least that is the gamble I wish for .... Not well they are going to die out anyways so what does it matter,

Huh? Farm funds going into habitat restoration instead? Ok.......

As I already stated (fun to have to restate), there is a global and local demand for seafood products, specifically salmon. Providing domestically raised salmon can function as a mechanism to directly benefit wild salmon populations by reducing harvest pressures upon them. To answer your question "Why should they be there?", that is one reason that, if conducted in a responsible manner aimed at minimizing impacts on wild ecosystems, salmon farms "should" be there.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2012, 06:21:38 PM »

Bottom line is wild salmon will soon be a memory and it’s time BC realizes that and gets behind aquaculture, specifically salmon farming before the rest of the world beats us to it.

I must admit I thought I had heard all the pro-feedlot arguments until I heard that one.

You may want to read up on some of the benefits that the wild salmon bring to our entire eco system before wishing that wild salmon become a "memory" ....  
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2012, 06:24:07 PM »

Round and round it goes.  

I don't mean any disrespect by not answering all of your questions Absolon, but I feel a bit like I'm being baited.  I don't have all the answers, I'm just someone concerned about  whether or not my son will be able to enjoy fishing as much as I do.  I don't think salmon farms are the biggest threat to wild salmon, but I'm not convinced that open net pens are a risk free alternative to providing fresh fish to consumers; they may be the lesser of the evils, but I've yet to see anyone suggest it.  It seems for most people they are either the catalyst to fish armageddon or the saviour of wild stocks and our demand for fish.  My wish is that until we have a better understanding of the effect an open net pen has that they be moved to closed containment.  As I said in the very beginning, why take the risk?  A foreign companies GP isn't a very good reason in my opinion.

No disrespect taken and no answer required. Take it not as baiting but as points to consider.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2012, 06:32:22 PM »

A very few jobs are not a good reason and supply and demand will drive salmon prices back up where a delicacy should be.

It's not just a few jobs. It's some $850 million in economic impact every year.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2012, 08:12:33 PM »

I must admit I thought I had heard all the pro-feedlot arguments until I heard that one.

You may want to read up on some of the benefits that the wild salmon bring to our entire eco system before wishing that wild salmon become a "memory" ....  
Jeez man, you think I don't understand this stuff?  I don't wish it, just expect it.
Correct me in 20 years.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2012, 09:33:42 PM »

Dave, the problem is that one of you doesn't understand it and I'm fairly certain that with your background, it isn't you.