Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CTV BC local news... interesting report tomorrow at 6 pm.  (Read 7164 times)

arimaBOATER

CTV BC local news... interesting report tomorrow at 6 pm.
« on: July 02, 2012, 03:15:45 PM »

On Tuesday ( tomorrow) on the 6 pm news there will be a report on salmon being sold that has been infected with viruses parasites etc.

Experts will tell of the harm that such salmon can do to one's health.

The " ball got rolling" or spark to do this report happened after a customer was going to buy a salmon at a store for a family meal but seen that the fish just did not look "right".

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: CTV BC local news... interesting report tomorrow at 6 pm.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 04:40:51 PM »

On Tuesday ( tomorrow) on the 6 pm news there will be a report on salmon being sold that has been infected with viruses parasites etc.

The " ball got rolling" or spark to do this report happened after a customer was going to buy a salmon at a store for a family meal but seen that the fish just did not look "right".

Say it isn't so!  How could that be ???

According to some recent reports, Alexandra Morton is the only person that is capable of finding infected, feedlot raised salmon on the supermarket store shelves......  If I remember correctly, these same pro-feedlot experts have suggested that she doesn't know what she is talking about.......   ::)

Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

arimaBOATER

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 01:08:17 AM »

On the 5:30 pm & 6pm tv news they had reports about salmon caught  in BC waters that had a parasite that after the fish is killed the fishy will become mushy.

But when I watched the tv 11:30 pm news Tues the report was dif. from the earlier news ...as it showed Mi Jung (spelling?) the Asian reporter with a hidden camera asking a Costco manager about some "farm salmon" being sold to the public that was "mushy" looking.

The manager said they daily check out the salmon product & many they will not sell because of this mushy appearance.
Sometimes though some salmon does not get screened out that should have.
Thus customers will asked for refunds.

This mushy salmon yrly is costing the fish industry millions !!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 04:05:57 AM »

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 04:11:06 AM by chris gadsden »

arimaBOATER

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 06:04:44 PM »

Thanks for putting the link on FWR !

Yep that's the report I seen last night on the 11:30 pm CTV BC News.

The other day they had Jason of Bonchovy Fishing Charter ( same guide that Rod & Nina had on a recent vid ) on this same news.
They stopped their boat & watched the Orcas by Stanley Park.
( munching on harbour seals )

Just never know what they will show on this news.
Actually being next to the ocean it is wise if they did more stories on marine subjects.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 08:22:21 PM »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 09:47:51 PM »

The Chinese are covering it too.

http://www.iask.ca/news/vancouver/2012/0704/143675.html

That should shut down a few more feedlots.....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 10:17:41 PM »

What did the experts say about the harm that such salmon can do to one's health?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 08:00:55 AM »

What did the experts say about the harm that such salmon can do to one's health?

I don't think people have the blind faith in what the "experts" say, that you think they should.

Just like we question what the "experts" say these feedlots are doing to our oceans, we need to question what they say about the effects of eating this mush, might have on one's health......

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 09:29:37 AM »

The Chinese are covering it too.

http://www.iask.ca/news/vancouver/2012/0704/143675.html

Google translate of the Chinese text (a little wonky but you get the idea):

The hypermarket salmon row Alarmed by the parasite

Canadian homes iask.ca 2012-07-04 8:44 source: World News Network by: Click: 4595 Times

Consumer repurchase frozen salmon fillets, the meat is different. (CTV) (CTV)

Consumers recently in the large discount stores to buy salmon, we found that the meat is different, confirmed by the salmon farming industry, salmon was a common parasite adhesion, although not harmful to humans, but it does affect the meat.  Consumers Reynolds purchased at Costco a few days ago a package of salmon steak, found on some dent in the fish, plus a closer look and found that above some small hole, so that goods took photos as evidence, sent to Costco retreat models.

British Columbia's largest fish farming industry in Canada sea by the Company (Marine Harvest Canada), however, confirmed to CTV television, from the aforementioned point of view of these symptoms, the salmon has been called "fish library worm" (Kudoa thyrsites) of the parasite attached, and these fish through the quality control procedures on the market, very surprised.

Pest vitality and

Robert, a spokesman for the Canadian sea by the Company, that the parasite is not uncommon for farms to be regarded as the second highest rate of disease occurs.
He said, "Fish Gallery insects harmful to humans, but let the fish was attached to the soft flesh, and even plastic, deterioration of the jelly state.

Parasite survival and strong, even if it is a parasitic fish had died a long time, can still survive still, and thus become one of the British Columbia salmon farming industry is the most troublesome pest.
Canada sea by the Company alone, last year dropped 12 million yuan, used to remove the infected salmon, as well as to provide a refund to the retailer.

In addition, Costco so far did not respond to the queries of the CTV, but a store manager posing as consumers of CTV reporter said that the purchase of the company, about 200 fish row will find a have a problem, and will promptly Dangxia not let these rafts shelves.

The aquaculture industry is in full swing to continue to expand a way to prevent this pest, but experts are more concerned about how to prevent these parasites also threaten wild salmon.

V Whirlpool, a professor of environmental studies at the University of Victoria, industry and academia do not know the scale of the victims of such parasites, as well as the possible impact on the overall ecology, "such parasites harm like a time bomb attached to the fish .

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 09:46:13 AM »

What amazes me is that people still buy Atlantic Salmon  ???.  I think the majority of BC'ers think salmon is salmon.  I would eat Fraser River bullhead, chub or pikeminnow before this stuff.

Farmed rainbow trout or "steelhead" and tilipia is pretty nasty imo as well.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 01:02:53 PM »

At the end of June last year (2011) I caught two halibut and two chinook salmon, all about 18 lbs. while fishing about 10 miles west of Winter Harbour in the open Pacific.  One of the halibut and one of the Chinooks had very mushy flesh.   All were handled similarly.   The Chinook were caught at the same time and place.   The halibut were caught a day apart and the second fish was the mushy one.   Both fish were killed promptly.  The other two fish were the usual excellent quality.  I have never experienced extremely mushy salmon or halibut in spite of fishing this coast for quite a long time.   The picture at the left is my first Chinook caught off Comox in August 1950.     Some advice from an expert and some web investigation suggests to me that both fish were infected with the Kudoa parasite.   http://microbiology.science.oregonstate.edu/salmon_parasites    Is this just a coincidence or is the parasite becoming more prevalent?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 01:08:12 PM by VAGAbond »

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 01:22:19 PM »

At the end of June last year (2011) I caught two halibut and two chinook salmon, all about 18 lbs. while fishing about 10 miles west of Winter Harbour in the open Pacific.  One of the halibut and one of the Chinooks had very mushy flesh.   All were handled similarly.   The Chinook were caught at the same time and place.   The halibut were caught a day apart and the second fish was the mushy one.   Both fish were killed promptly.  The other two fish were the usual excellent quality.  I have never experienced extremely mushy salmon or halibut in spite of fishing this coast for quite a long time.   The picture at the left is my first Chinook caught off Comox in August 1950.     Some advice from an expert and some web investigation suggests to me that both fish were infected with the Kudoa parasite.   http://microbiology.science.oregonstate.edu/salmon_parasites    Is this just a coincidence or is the parasite becoming more prevalent?

I am sure the pro-feedlot boys will be arriving shortly with claims that it is solely the fault of the wild fish.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 11:38:23 PM »

At the end of June last year (2011) I caught two halibut and two chinook salmon, all about 18 lbs. while fishing about 10 miles west of Winter Harbour in the open Pacific.  One of the halibut and one of the Chinooks had very mushy flesh.   All were handled similarly.   The Chinook were caught at the same time and place.   The halibut were caught a day apart and the second fish was the mushy one.   Both fish were killed promptly.  The other two fish were the usual excellent quality.  I have never experienced extremely mushy salmon or halibut in spite of fishing this coast for quite a long time.   The picture at the left is my first Chinook caught off Comox in August 1950.     Some advice from an expert and some web investigation suggests to me that both fish were infected with the Kudoa parasite.   http://microbiology.science.oregonstate.edu/salmon_parasites    Is this just a coincidence or is the parasite becoming more prevalent?

Mxyozoans like Kudoa thyrsites and Henneguya salminicola are common parasites of salmonids in BC.  They were around before fish farms on our coast.  I realize that people like AF may say otherwise, but the fact is that wild salmon have these parasites already.  Fish have parasites - in freshwater and in the ocean.  It is not an abnormal or recent phenomenon brought to us by farmed salmon.

Burbot

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 05:26:41 PM »

I am more concerned about radiated salmon.

If we had real media in this country they would report on the salmon tested for radiation  and how the federal government won't release the results..  There is going to be repercussions foe decades due to that Fukushima...yet the corporate media is very quiet on it...