Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vintage fiberglas steelhead rod.  (Read 4314 times)

rocky

vintage fiberglas steelhead rod.
« on: June 20, 2012, 04:48:35 PM »

i have a 'rumbles' 10'' custom steelhead rod.  it is a beige/yellow sort of color, 70's era i think. would anyone have any information on the blank and maker?
thanks in advance for any info.

bue

Re: vintage fiberglas steelhead rod.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 09:11:51 PM »

My guess is they were made by either Richmake or Fifer, both makers used the same blanks. Can't recall who made the blanks. Does it have metal or fibregalss ferrule? If metal, it would likely be pre-1975, probably 1960s.

rocky

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 09:45:55 PM »

thanks bue for the info, the rod guides are metal, has hardy butt box. from what i understood rich make used lamiglas blanks or am i wrong?

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 08:54:19 AM »

I allways thought they were Fenwick blanks?
Not sure now myself.
I have a fly rod blank from the same era and store.
Them were the best single eggs a guy could find back in the day.

rocky

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 04:15:12 PM »

i also have a fenwick cp steehead rod that is that same honey/mustard colour. not to mention i also picked a few years back a peetz labeled rod
that is a little different, same colour as the fenwick and identical male/female connectors w/ o ring, and roller guides. it is a light rod, wooden handle,
 and unusual because i have only seen roller guides on heavy rods. i think the peetz is a fenwick. i wonder who made the rods for peetz or did
they contract out? love to get more info on this topic.

jump14

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 09:26:45 PM »

"Peetz: A Reel for All Time" by Doug Pollard could she some light on that as well as contacting the Peetz reel factory which still operates in Victoria. Ps, I have 6 Peetz reels and 4 Peetz rods rangin from single to two piece rods with roller guides and some with regular casting eyes, still fun to fish with.  ;D

rocky

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 11:28:09 PM »

why the roller guides?  and jump 14,  are any of your rods a mooching rod? because this is what mine seems to be. sort of puzzled.

jump14

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 09:09:35 AM »

The rods with the roller guides were actually intended to be used with wire line seeing that mono was new at the time and downriggers were not really around either. Regular eyes would have been eaten away by the wire thus roller guides were used; as mono came around they slowly switched to casting style guides. In addition, Peetz reels big sellers were actually the 6"+ reels simply so they could hold large amounts of wire line and the smaller reels were for mono. These rods and reels were specified at the time for use around Victoria, Sooke, Brentwood, etc where water depths got very deep very quickly thus the need for lots of wire capacity at the time. Hope that helps!
Ps my rods are a mix of both roller guided and mooching style and the odd casting/sinning

rocky

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 03:51:42 PM »

called peetz in victoria and my peetz rod was made with a lamiglas blank, would have sworn it was a fenwick! thanks for the info jump14