Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The censorship of forums and discussion boards  (Read 1273 times)

ksan

The censorship of forums and discussion boards
« on: June 20, 2012, 10:02:34 AM »

To what extent do you think "all" fishing forums and discussion boards have their subject matter groomed ?

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: The censorship of forums and discussion boards
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 10:58:21 AM »

If I understand your question, I think all discussion boards are (and should be) moderated. Those that aren't quickly escalate into a bunch neanderthal half wits hurling insults at each other and the fishing information value suffers. Sharphooks.com is an example, however in no way am I suggesting that the users of that forum are neanderthal half wits! :)

Self moderation is a good ideal but it seldom works.

It's not censorship when you are the owner of a website.  Moderation of discussion makes business sense.       

ksan

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 02:17:50 PM »

So, part of your explanation would suggest that, to some degree, forum content is massaged to accommodate companies that sponsor a site
Through advertising!  Good point.

That said, would you consider an announcement of availability a harsh infringement of sponsor expectation. If so one might conclude that some sites operate under a vail of protectionism , the public being served a specific diet of information, ..... Just thinking out loud!!!

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 02:46:48 PM »

That sounds like bunk. Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion.

I would look at it another way:
The sponsors are expected to uphold a reasonable level of service to all patrons. If a sponsor were to treat someone poorly then I would expect them to be called out, and that factual information would not be 'moderated' for content.
Unfounded slagging of sponsors and non-sponsors alike should of course be reigned in.

Thus it is exactly the opposite of your premise. Sponsorship of (reputable) fishing forums provides a natural feedback loop to ensure that companies act in a correspondingly reputable fashion.

Nothing helps a sponsor more than to get a call out from a member for great service.
Many members are willing to pay extra for that great service.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 03:08:09 PM »

So, part of your explanation would suggest that, to some degree, forum content is massaged to accommodate companies that sponsor a site
Through advertising!  Good point.

That said, would you consider an announcement of availability a harsh infringement of sponsor expectation. If so one might conclude that some sites operate under a vail of protectionism , the public being served a specific diet of information, ..... Just thinking out loud!!!

Glad you've been able to figure that out on your own. ;)

This issue could have been cleared up if you had discussed it privately by emailing me instead of asking our users what the terms of use of this site are.

I'm unable to do it right now, but expect an email in your inbox later tonight.