Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Watch Lake, June 16th & 17th 2012  (Read 736 times)

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
Watch Lake, June 16th & 17th 2012
« on: June 18, 2012, 08:37:33 AM »

So, my wife asks me: "What do you want to do for Father's day?" Well, that's a no-brainer....Go to the cabin and go fishing. (and maybe have a campfire and drink some beer too).

Headed up on Friday night with a screaming tailwind pushing us the whole way. Made for a quick trip and good gas mileage, but didn't bode well for a little rowboat the next morning.

Saturday morning the rain and wind had both stopped and I headed over to Watch Lake. Hit the water at around 8:00 and started fishing my usual favourite spots. Was into a fish within 10 minutes, a smallish one for the lake though so released it and continued on. The fishing was relatively good for the next 2 or 3 hours, got one keeper for dinner and released 4 others. At one point I had fish on both rods which is a first for me when alone! The wind really started to pick up in the early afternoon, so I called it a day and headed back.

Sunday morning I made a resolve to get an earlier start as the fishing had been better earlier the previous day. Got up at 05:30, put the coffee on, checked the gear and tied on a couple shiny new flies. Loaded the gear into the truck and headed off....without my coffee...d'oh! Oh well, I was almost at Watch before I realized it wasn't there so continued on without it. Had the boat in the water at 06:30 with the lake all to myself.

Rowed out about 20 metres and cast out my first line. After a couple pulls on the oars to get the first line straightened out, I cast the other rod out. As I was putting it into the rod holder a beautiful fish jumps about 3 feet clear of the water right behind the boat and it takes a fraction of a second before I realize that I could see a line attached to it! The rod in my hand starts to shake and the fish screams a bunch of line of the reel. Got it to the boat and netted it, a beautiful 2+ pounder, fat and bright.

So the fishing started off better than I had ever had it, but cooled down right after that. Managed to hook into only 2 others in the next 4 hours, trying everything in the fly box with no better success. The other boats on the lake that I could see didn't seem to be faring any better than I was.

Packed it in about noon as several thunderheads were in the area and the wind was picking up again. Not the best catching weekend, but it sure was a good fishing weekend. Too bad it's back to work today.  :(

Pac NW

Re: Watch Lake, June 16th & 17th 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:02:23 PM »

I was up in that area on the weekend as well. Stayed at Green Lake. On Friday we fished Fawn Lake and had a great day. The weather was sunny with a few clouds and only a breeze. We managed to hook 16 trout during the day with most of them in the 2 pound range. Went out in the evening around 6:00 and managed to hook another 9. The fish we caught in the evening were smaller however, just over a pound. Not sure where the bigger fish went. All in all a great day. On Thursday and Saturday we fished Pressy Lake. We also managed to catch fish there but they were on the smaller side.
All fish were released.