Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: eels for sturgeon  (Read 2326 times)

mr.bean

eels for sturgeon
« on: June 15, 2012, 11:53:08 PM »

i am new  to sturgeon fishing.  is a ditch eel the same as a lampraey eel ? what kind a eel are the local bait stores selling ? if there is a difference,  is one better than the other  ?  thanks harry

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: eels for sturgeon
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 11:55:02 PM »

Ditch eel is the common name for lamprey, which are not true eels. Those are the ones you can buy at your local tackle stores.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 04:10:41 PM »

Ditch eel refers to the freshwater juvenillie stage of the Pacific Lamprey, they can be found in ditches and not in tackle stores, obtaining them is not easily done by legal means. That being said the Lampreys found in stores are the adult version of this same fish when they return from their ocean phase of life, the ones in stores are not in fact Fraser River Lampreys but often Alaskan or Artic version of the same creature. They are however a decent bait as they bleed out well and have a strong smell.  Fraser Lampreys, and the ditch eels are protected species so obtaining them can be tricky.
If you ever see dump trucks dumping mud in fields go check it out as often municipalities will dump the mud they remove from ditches in fields, many delictable Sturgeon foods can be found in said mud, please PM me the whereabouts as well, I will reward this type of info with hand made lures  ;D.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Bandit420

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 01:58:19 PM »

Lampreys are quite expensive at the local tackle stores, if I was you stick with the trusty eulachon. Never fails me and letting them stink up for a few days doesnt hurt either
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 02:20:42 PM »

If you ever see dump trucks dumping mud in fields go check it out as often municipalities will dump the mud they remove from ditches in fields, many delictable Sturgeon foods can be found in said mud, please PM me the whereabouts as well, I will reward this type of info with hand made lures  ;D.

aaaaaaww yes ditch slop. also the pump station guys cleaning the grates land a few.