Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any suggestions for shore fishing in Oahu?  (Read 1693 times)

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
Any suggestions for shore fishing in Oahu?
« on: June 11, 2012, 12:34:07 PM »

My family was planning on going to Oahu for a week and I thought since I was going that I bring a rod to try and catch something.  I want to do saltwater shore fishing and maybe decide on taking a charter if my dad wants to also go.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go or what to use?  thanks!
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com

fic

• Old Timer
Re: Any suggestions for shore fishing in Oahu?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 02:12:07 PM »

I saw somebody doing spin casting at Kailua Beach Park. IMO, it's the nicest beach that on that Island, but you have to get there early to get a parking spot.  The sand is super soft compared to beaches in Waikiki and the North Shore. 

chief

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »

Check out nervouswaterhawaii.com  (clay's blog) which will give you lotsa ideas for catching big bonefish and other species with a fly rod. They have a fly shop in Honolulu. I used this site for info during a recent trip to Kauii. No bonefish for me ! Make sure you wear proper footwear when wading as the coral is very sharp and if you get cut can get infected. Also happened to my knee ! Thank goodness for travel insurance after a $1400.00 bill from the hospital. Wallmart have a good selection of inexpensive "Tabis" or thick soled reef walkers which you can buy when you get there. Tight lines !

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 05:22:59 PM »

Get some Mark White Lures (Google them) and just spin cast from short with 10-12 pound mainline. Ive caught Trumpet Fish, Omilu (Bluefin Trevally 5-15 pounds) and Trigger Fish. Fishing with shrimp on the bottom will get you Papio (Small Omilu) along with Bone Fish, Trigger fish and a few other species.

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 07:57:01 PM »

I fished at the Ko-olina resort.  While it is a resort, the public has access to the beach and lagoons.  We were fishing on the rocky shore next to the lagoons.  Both Shrimp and Squid work well.  Squid stayed on the hook better.  Using a float will keep you from snagging up on the rocks in the water.  A few pics of the area and setup we were using:

mykiss

• Canadian Aquatics
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:19:03 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys!

When I went to Kauai I also did the shrimp/squid on the float and caught some fish but never hooked into fish using crank baits or jigs. However, going to a new island may be different so I thought I'd ask. Thanks
Here fishy fishy......

www.canadianaquatics.com