Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shearwater Resort  (Read 3369 times)

Driller

• Keeping it real.
Shearwater Resort
« on: June 03, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »

Anyone been there?  I'd like to catch a 500 lb Halibut and at least a 50 lb spring.  Of course a bunch of those pesky 20 lb cohos area given.
What's the resort like? 
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Dogbreath

Re: Shearwater Resort
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 08:51:40 PM »

I know the area well-lots of fishing on offer but in all the times I've been there I've only seen one fish over 50#-see attached photo.

It's not a great area for Halibut generally but bottomfishing around the rocks south of Cape Mark can be outstanding and as to huge Coho I've only caught one over 20# sorry no photo.

The resort has grown quite a bit it's kind of a strange setup if you ask me but as I said all kinds of choice as to areas to fish I prefer Milbanke Sound north & south of Cheney Point.

Unless you're an experienced saltwater fisherman I strongly suggest you pay for a guide no matter what you read on the net Salmon don't just jump into your boat you need to know what you're doing to produce.

HRN with a 55# Spring-Cheney Point in the background

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 09:24:59 PM »

Holy CRAP!
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

Old Blue

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 10:48:02 AM »

Your best chance for a 50 lb+ is out of Naden Harbour so Peregrine (most expensive), Queen Charlotte Lodges (close 2nd) and Samson float lodge (do it yourself).  Only small chickens in the area though with a bigger fish being 30+

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 11:40:32 AM »

I've fished the area twice.  Once with Shearwater and once with Westcoast Resorts.  If you are staying at Shearwater, its a bit of a run out to Milbanke (but worth it).  The package that I had was semi guided (i.e. half the time guided and half the time on my own).  My wife caught a 38lb Chinook and I caught a 92lb Hali on our own.  We limited out (16 salmon) on Coho and Chinook and lost another 60lb halibut at the boat.  We were there quite a few years ago and the accomodations back then were a bit basic to say the least.  They now have newer lodges and cabins so I think it would be much more comfortable to stay there now.  I love the area and would like to go back in the future.

longstone

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 09:28:18 AM »

I agree with Old Blue.  I spent a summer guiding at Shearwater a number of years ago, and then the next few years in the Charlottes.  Your chances of a 50+ lb spring is considerably higher in the QCI.  We used to release more tyees in the Charlottes because guests had limited out in one week than they would get at Shearwater in a season. Your chances of catching a large halibut the same.  Trips to the Charlottes are generally going to be a bit more expensive, but definitely worth the money.

mikep

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 03:56:17 PM »

Spent a half dozen years guiding in milbanke sound, if you time it right fishing for LARGE fish can be good. Its not a huge numbers fishery but a quality fishery. There is usually a 2 week window early august when the rivers inlet hogs roll through. I'm going to be at shearwater in that time frame for 10 days. Fish cut plugs tight to the kelp and shallow ;).