Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Deer Lake (Harrison), May 28th 2012  (Read 760 times)

matthawkins

Deer Lake (Harrison), May 28th 2012
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:05:25 PM »

Took my 4 year old for the afternoon to fish at Deer Lake. We packed a lunch, brought our kammok hammock (which is amazing for any outdoor activity) and container of worms.
Despite the rain and the wind picking up, we had an awesome time on shower building stuff with sticks and rocks and drawing stuff on the beach. We weren't getting a lot of bites, but when you're fishing with a 4 year old, the fishing is really secondary.
My son also decided he'd create his own fish lure while digging through my tackle box. He wanted to use a bell weight, salmon egg and a spinner (all under a float) and have me toss out it in the exact spot he wanted it to be (took me 3 casts to finally get his satisfaction) and sure enough the float went down after a minute and he was reeling in his first trout of the season. It was barely big enough and my son wanted it to get bigger for the next time we're out there. We ended catching 1 keeper for dinner and let 3 go. Not bad for a Monday afternoon. I'll take pics next time, his set up is quite something  ;)
It was a great afternoon to start the week and the fish sure were jumping. Not sure if the rain helped with the bugs on the water, but when the rain picked up those fish jumped like crazy. Never seen anything like that before, but great to see.
Cheers.