Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly vs Spinner vs bait  (Read 4309 times)

Fillibert

Fly vs Spinner vs bait
« on: May 26, 2012, 06:06:23 PM »

Not sure if it was ever asked. I'm wondering what is the best way to fish for trout (I guess local hatchery). I heard that with fly fishing they bite so fast it's almost too easy. I had success with both spinners and powerbait, not so much with spoons. Want to know your opinion/experience and why you like it.

frozensalmon

Re: Fly vs Spinner vs bait
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 06:49:43 PM »

they all work im sure

getting good results/number caught has to do with lots of varibles, weather, water temperture, diff spots or time in a day, and of course, the fishing tackl/method, experience, pure luck and there are just so many, I guess that's why people like sports fishing, game between fish is always not a certain

I use spoon in local lakes for those hatchery trout, since it's easy and save lots of energy preparing bait..etc nasty ..
I remember one time I was only fishing like 1 hour and caught like 5 on spoon,  i marked down the spot , weather , sunshine amount, time in a day, color of my spoon and so on,  so i know better next time, however,  it was like not even a bite for my next trip (similar situaion). :-[

after fishing more and more in one location, sometimes you just know how to get a good result there, but to become a master in fishing , I believe it requires long time of your life to actually get good at it, I mean not only one location , but you more or less know better about what to do if  you go to a total strange lake/river

standing at a weird point of answering your question, hope if helps  :D
if not just forget what I said...im pretty newbie at fishing anywaylol
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 06:51:49 PM by frozensalmon »
more coho, more coho... ::)

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 07:15:01 PM »

I believe flies work best. Their instincts tell them to eat bugs.
fishing is life, the rest is just details.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 07:58:13 PM »

I am not sure who told you flies are "almost too easy" but they may have been stretching the truth a bit.  Flies are the best because you design your own "bug" out of thread and feathers and fool a fish into ignoring its instinct (smell) and attack on sight alone.  Very rewarding.  Bait will always work best as they hunt by smell most of the time. When ever I take my kids fishing, I tie flies under their bobbers or beneath split shots to begin with, but if they do not get hits soon, I will switch to a worm and they will always get the biggest or the most fish.
Not all those who wander are lost

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 12:33:12 AM »

It totally depends on where you are, the species, conditions, etc.

I totally love fly fishing. Chironomiding can be insane at times. Trout eat bugs, imitate exactly what they are eating and you will do the best by far. Most of all fly fishing is probably the most entertaining method. Dry flies the hits are cool because you are watching them. The fights are directs contact and are generally better with a light weight rod. You can also get the satisfaction of catching fish on something you've created.

Some days the good ole worm and bobber will do the best out of anything (or prawns, roe, etc). The bait is always going to catch you at least one fish, it's a solid stand by if nothing else is working. Once again trout eat bugs so put a worm in front of them and they'll eat it. I hardly ever bait fish. I don't enjoy it, it's messy and I find I do better with other methods consistently (talking more big number days on other methods - flies, spoons).

Lastly the spoons. After this past season, I am almost convinced it is the way to go for salmon and steelhead. However salmon and steelhead are acting our of aggression in most cases unless the spoon is being mistaken on the beaches for a bait fish or by steelhead for some sort of fry. I found they worked best on sunny days with clear water. When I'm at work and trying to catch a fish for the kids to see, I normally throw on a spoon over bait. So in the end spoons are always my go to. These can also be a lot of fun if you are using light gear.

Cheers,
Dan

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »

personally i love fly fishing, everything about it from tieing my flies to the fishing. Chromodids are my all time favourite fly and usually my go to fly. On may long weekend me and my dad went to a lake, about an hour out of merrit and caught about 250 trout, all on chromidids, and that was what we landed, many more lost and misses. Fly fishing gives the fish what they are eating and gives you the ability to match the hatch. Another one of my favourite flies is a balanced leech under an indicator, so deadly.

Spinners are great if your new or theres no hatch. Spinners make the fish mad so they hit  ot of aggresion. In winter for trout i usually leave the fly rod at home and head out with an ltra light spinning rod and some spinners.

Bait, i remember using it all the time as a kid and used to cath a TON of fish, but since i've grown older i lost intrest in going out and getting my own worms and such. It does take ome effort but can be fun when you find some fish or teach a kid how to thread the worm on the hook and how to cast and such.
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

kalex60

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 08:57:18 PM »

if you are fishing for tripoloid trout the will bite anything you just have to find them orange and black crocs 1/8 and size 10 og wolley buggers

4TheKids

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 07:56:06 AM »

If you are talking fishing, as opposed to catching, then fly fishing is the best. Making a perfect cast is very rewarding. I think someone once said "catching a fish is just a nice interruption to casting". And if that is not enough, try catching a fish on a fly that you tied. Then there is spey...

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 09:53:36 PM »

in hardware we trust !
hardware == fish