Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soccer Sucks  (Read 11876 times)

Damien

• Old Timer
Soccer Sucks
« on: May 23, 2012, 06:26:58 PM »

I've been trying to give it another shot.  Been watching the Vancouver vs. Toronto game for the last 10 minutes.  No less that 5 guys have been rolling around on the ground, writhing in pain in just these few minutes.

The game is in its 60th minute, I think there have been TWO shots on goal, total.

This is the 'beautiful' game?

Now, I know this is a Canadian, low level type of game.  But is simply re-confirming what I have always hated about soccer, and what has kept me away from watching it all these years.  The last game I saw in person was in the mid 80's with 30,000+ fans at BC Place.

This is rubbish.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Soccer Sucks
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 09:18:11 PM »

I'm with you on that one. Can't stand the soccer lingo. Why is every team called FC's ? A shutout in baseball, hockey, lacrosse, football etc is a shutout except soccer which is referred to as a "clean sheet"

Burbot

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 09:20:57 AM »

FC = Football Club and Soccer is called Football almost everywhere in the world but North America.

It is also the most popular sport on the planet by far and even in Canada it is the number one participation sport and yes even higher than Hockey.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 10:22:41 AM »

It is popular because it is cheap to play and easy to set up. Kids can play with a ball of dung or a sheep stomach filled with goat hair.

And it is popular here for kids because it is relatively safe compared to football, hockey etc.

The rest of the world calls Hockey, "Ice Hockey" and Football "American Football".    Doesn't mean thats what we are going call it here.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 12:01:08 PM »

Now pay attention to this, you pigskin fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sD_8prYOxo
Take the T out of Morton.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 12:21:27 PM »

I would rather watch football game beer commercial than 10-15-20 minute stretches of SOCCER without a shot on goal.

And I don't even really like football.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 05:03:24 PM »

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 09:09:32 PM »

Besides footballs just a girlie version of the real mans game RUGBY. :P

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 10:31:26 AM »

You are comparing Soccer (football) to hockey or football (American Football)?  Hockey is played on a frozen surface with five men on skates flying at high speed in a rink a quarter the size of a pitch (only slightly larger than soccer's penalty area or "18 yard box"), taking upwards of 60 shots on goal (30 a side), there is no comparison (best game on earth to watch, a a virtual "quicksilver ballet").  Football (American or Canadian) is played on a similar size pitch as soccer with similar objectives, but you can pick up the ball and run with it, and all you need to do is get it across the entire end of the opposing teams side of the field, all the while your teammates are allowed to block the other team to keep them from stopping you. The strategics if the "plays" the opposing team's coaches send out and try to counter is what makes football enjoyable to watch for people that like that sort of thing.  With soccer you are trying to kick the ball (no hands) into the opposing team's goal which is 100 meters away and only a tenth the size of the end zone of football, and guarded by a goalie.  It is the challenge of getting the ball even close to the opposing team's goal, let alone getting a decent shot (struck with your foot) that has a chance of getting by the 10 guys on the other side AND past their goalie, that makes it enjoyable to those who like that kind of thing.  When you understand the game, and the strategies involved, watching it is more enjoyable.  When you can watch hockey, however, why would want to watch anything else?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:43:36 PM by Sandman »
Not all those who wander are lost

Old Blue

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 01:12:38 PM »

It all depends on the quality of the soccer being played.  Just compare I think it was last year around this time the South America mens tournament and the womens worlds.  The south american one was a bunch of over-acting pansy's taking more dives than swimmers of the high diving board at any pool......meanwhile the ladies were absolutely amazing and thrilling to watch.  It's the same in any sport, just watch a Maple Laughs game versus some other basement dweller compared to the Philly + Pittsburgh 1st round match up.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 01:43:43 PM »

Hockey is becoming a pansy game. Go play lacrosse, more fun to watch, more goals (if that's what you're into) and way rougher than hockey. :P
Of course I give all respect to rugby, that game has them all beat in toughness.
That being said, I think all sports have their merits, they are all fun to play and it depends what you are looking for as to which you enjoy watching. Get out and play them!

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 10:08:06 AM »

Played Lacrosse til I got married, one of the best games and fastest games on 2 feet.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 02:55:43 PM »

Soccer soccer players are wrapped head to toe in helmet, pads and gloves. A head on collision with no pad is definately going to be worse then one fully decked out in padding. Now I can see why soccer players will go down more then a hockey player.

The game may seem like its a slow pace, but thats because the area of play is twice as large.
The score might not be as high because you dealing with twice as many players and the ball is like 10 times the size of a puck.

Both are great games.
The Bigger The Better!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 08:32:11 PM »

Lets all just watch basketball  ;)

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 11:20:32 AM »

HA! Basketball is fun to play, just don't slap me on the wrist or i'll call foul... lol

Lets all just watch basketball  ;)