Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Haters on the River  (Read 21944 times)

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: Haters on the River
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2012, 08:34:32 AM »

correct me if I am wrong but if someone does keep a steel and decides to try for cutties, do they not have to use smaller gear in order to aviod a ticket?

No.

When you have caught and retained
your daily quota of hatchery steelhead
from any water, you must stop fishing
that water for the remainder of that day.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/0911/fish-synopsis_2009-11_region2.pdf

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2012, 09:48:34 AM »

Racists and bigots will only win when you react to their ignorance. hell I've been a visual minority pretty well since birth ::) had to moderate my reactions once I slooowed down. 
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

noobfisher

« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2012, 09:59:55 AM »

Yeah, you haven't experienced racism until you've seen it from the "white guys" point of view. Sometimes I can hardly get out of bed to face the world, which is totally tipped against me. Why just the other day I had to order a Timmies and the woman couldn't understand my order, can you imagine my humiliation. And to make it worse, I was with a friend with blonde hair and he says it happens to him all the time! I am not going to say which ethnicity is the worst, let's just say they have straight black hair. Yeah, poor little white guys, we have it rough.

This is a April fool's joke right?

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2012, 10:06:47 AM »

Yeah, you haven't experienced racism until you've seen it from the "white guys" point of view. Sometimes I can hardly get out of bed to face the world, which is totally tipped against me. Why just the other day I had to order a Timmies and the woman couldn't understand my order, can you imagine my humiliation. And to make it worse, I was with a friend with blonde hair and he says it happens to him all the time! I am not going to say which ethnicity is the worst, let's just say they have straight black hair. Yeah, poor little white guys, we have it rough.

Ha Ha. It happen to me all the time, Just learn how to deal with them nicely :D..  Doesn't matter you are white ,yellow or brown.

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2012, 01:07:39 PM »

I would hope that is an april fools joke...lol...or he lives in a fantasy world where caucasions dont experience racism lol

GordJ

« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2012, 05:47:28 PM »

I would hope that is an april fools joke...lol...or he lives in a fantasy world where caucasions dont experience racism lol
Obviously it is a joke. Caucasians suffer terribly from racism. Just like models are discriminated against.  Yup, really suffering from racism but I don't like to talk about it much because it makes me look like I am out of touch with what real racism looks like. 

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2012, 06:33:39 PM »

real racism lol . ya ok ::)

speycaster

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2012, 07:39:18 AM »

I don't know if you would call it racism, but i've been in more than a few places on three road north of Cook where all the signs are in chinese and when I tried to order I was answered in the same language as the signs. I just put it down to stupid business practice and left. Went further north to a well known mall and everything was fine. ;D

samw

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2012, 05:24:56 PM »

I don't know if you would call it racism, but i've been in more than a few places on three road north of Cook where all the signs are in chinese and when I tried to order I was answered in the same language as the signs. I just put it down to stupid business practice and left. Went further north to a well known mall and everything was fine. ;D

I wouldn't really call that racism.  I can't read those signs either and also won't patronize those places.  Racism is when one is walking home from a new school in the suburbs, minding one's own business, when out of the blue, one would be swarmed simultaneously by dozens of kids that one didn't know, taunted, and pushed to the ground, and spit on, and called racist names, just for no reason other than one was different race.  That's racism. :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 05:29:05 PM by samw »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2012, 03:10:42 AM »

i've been in more than a few places on three road north of Cook where all the signs are in chinese and when I tried to order I was answered in the same language as the signs.

Mel, when you are in town next time, I'll volunteer to be your tour guide and translator. ;D We'll order all the weird Asian foods that you won't find at Cookies. ;)

I wouldn't really call that racism.  I can't read those signs either and also won't patronize those places.  Racism is when one is walking home from a new school in the suburbs, minding one's own business, when out of the blue, one would be swarmed simultaneously by dozens of kids that one didn't know, taunted, and pushed to the ground, and spit on, and called racist names, just for no reason other than one was different race.  That's racism. :)

Yes and no. Racism is defined differently by everyone. When the abuse becomes physical, it's considered hate crimes. I define racism as motives that make others feel terrible about being who they are to the point that they are embarrassed about their own race. This can be done verbally, or simply carried out by ignoring and isolating the person because he or she is different to the rest of the crowd.

I don't see too much of it in BC to be honest, or perhaps I just haven't lived outside of Metro Vancouver. ;) People here seem to be very willing to accept and learn about other cultures. You go into a Chinese restaurant, it's not unusual to see Caucasians, Chinese, East Indians all dining in there. I actually find that minorities in Canada often call it racism too quickly whenever there are conflicts or misunderstandings. Somehow we are quite sensitive about the words we use here and are afraid of offending anyone unintentionally. To be honest I haven't really seen too many incidents that I would consider as racist compared to what I experienced in Australia (over 15 years ago, things are probably quite different now). Being spat on by pedestrians while riding past them on your bicycle, being heckled on the street while everyone else looked on without any interest to intervene, being ignored at restaurants and shouted at when asking for service were some of the more minor doodoos that we had to put up with back there.

To those who have never been recipients of racism, of course it's hard to understand why anyone normal would fire out racial slurs for no apparent reasons. In fact, that's how it happens most of the time when minorities experience racism.

For the Chilliwack River, conflicts arise at times because we have anglers from different cultures participating in this fishery. Different cultures have different habits, different space of comfort, different ideas on what fishing is about. These differences will clash with each other again and again. Asians usually see fishing as a celebratory social gathering where people can catch fish together and have fun at the same time. That obviously only works somewhat for the salmon fishery and does not work for the steelhead fishery. Asians also see fishing as a way of harvesting food, even if it is recreationally. There are definitely issues that need to be addressed, education needs to be done, some tolerance needs to be shown. Overall, based on what I have observed from both the rivers and a popular Chinese fishing forum in BC, I have to say the Chinese community is trying quite hard to make sure rules are followed and nobody is stepping on others' toes. There will always be some who choose not to fit in and do whatever they want, but don't use their actions to generalize the rest.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2012, 12:25:02 PM »

i arrive at the vedder around 1030 sunday with a friend of mine and had a run all to ourselves. started at the top and worked our way down. about 2/3 down the run an older asain fellow came into to join us. unfortunally he started prob 10 ft bellow me as i was working my way down. i was a bit pissed but bit my tongue and continued. it was the first run of the day and i didnt want to put myself in that mood. i prob should have taken the time to explain to him but i really wanted to fish that tailout. i much rather have positive experience at the river than a negative one and would of been helpfull if he had asked. if one of these people that like to start cupcakes had this happen to them i think it would have gotten ugly, because i have never been low holed like that before.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2012, 05:47:53 PM »

We cannot persuade people to change their behaviour if they choose to be confrontational. Personally I think if people are so hot tempered and their initial reaction is to verbally abuse or cause physical harms to someone, education no longer works for them.

We can certainly do quite a bit to create an educational campaign so newcomers are more aware of the unspoken river fishing etiquettes that more experienced anglers expect everyone to follow. Most people want to learn and avoid conflicts because they go fishing to enjoy themselves, not to ruin other people's days. If the information is out there, people will pick it up, put it to good use and hopefully scenarios like what bigblockfox experienced can be avoided.

Again, I'm not sure how the educational campaign can be carried out. Maybe a one-page information sheet should be developed and distributed to tackle stores in the Lower Mainland so that when people buy their freshwater fishing licences, stores can print the licences on the back of these sheets. This way the angler leaves the store with a licence as well as all the information that he or she needs about fishing in Lower Mainland rivers. Maybe we need more articles on etiquettes on the website. Maybe we need actual videos that demonstrate the do's and don'ts on the river.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2012, 05:55:48 PM »

i arrive at the vedder around 1030 sunday with a friend of mine and had a run all to ourselves. started at the top and worked our way down. about 2/3 down the run an older asain fellow came into to join us. unfortunally he started prob 10 ft bellow me as i was working my way down. i was a bit pissed but bit my tongue and continued. it was the first run of the day and i didnt want to put myself in that mood. i prob should have taken the time to explain to him but i really wanted to fish that tailout. i much rather have positive experience at the river than a negative one and would of been helpfull if he had asked. if one of these people that like to start **** had this happen to them i think it would have gotten ugly, because i have never been low holed like that before.

I guess you just have to get use of it .I got low hole all the time even i don't fish in the popular area. ::)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2012, 08:41:48 PM »

Rod, you're already leading the charge in changing etiquette and proper angling methods on rivers, and forums like this are invaluable to educating both old and new anglers.  I like the combo licence/information package for people that buy their licences at stores but not sure how that could be implemented for people that print their own.  Maybe the videos are the way to go ...   all comes down to funding I guess, but I'd pay to see a video of Chris low holing the Master ;D

hookR

« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2012, 11:16:38 PM »

Again, I'm not sure how the educational campaign can be carried out. Maybe a one-page information sheet should be developed and distributed to tackle stores in the Lower Mainland so that when people buy their freshwater fishing licences, stores can print the licences on the back of these sheets. This way the angler leaves the store with a licence as well as all the information that he or she needs about fishing in Lower Mainland rivers.

Thats a good idea Rod