Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2012 Squamish River cleanup  (Read 6793 times)

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: 2012 Squamish River cleanup
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 10:13:45 PM »

We still need some more volunteers.  Show some love!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 10:12:13 PM »

Matt, Chris and I were discussing earlier about this cleanup. The Chilliwack River cleanup is the weekend before, and we have a number of pick-up tools that our volunteers use in that cleanup. I can bring those to the Squamish cleanup for volunteers to use, just let me know how many people sign up for it and we'll see if everyone can get one. We just need to get all of them back at the end so I do not anger the Chilliwack litter picker king. ;D

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 07:55:28 PM »

msg sent Rodney.  Here's one area we'll be targeting for the Cleanup

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 11:35:16 PM »

I am in for this one.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 01:28:09 AM »

Bump! The cleanup is happening this Sunday. If you are still interested in participating, please email Matt at squamishcleanup@gmail.com. Quite a few experienced Squamish River anglers are attending this so it'll be a good opportunity for you to meet some new possible fishing partners.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 11:42:13 PM »

See you there in the morning. :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 02:00:13 PM »

See you there in the morning. :)
Any pictures or results of the cleanup?

Nina

• Administrator

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 04:52:15 PM »

http://forum.flybc.ca/index.php?showtopic=37113
Thanks Nina for the link, good work on all that took part. Good to see so many of these cleanups going on these days on a lot of our rivers but very bad that so many people in every corner of the Province are doing this to "Beautiful British Colombia".

There is some answers to this but it will take a lot more resources put forward by many levels of governments to put a bit of a lid on this.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 11:03:52 AM »

Total amount collected was 10,164lbs, according to Matt.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 07:38:16 PM »

The crew:

Here's one of the many areas we cleaned up, prior to cleanup:

After the cleanup:

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:25:14 PM by Matt »

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 01:05:29 AM »

Now that the dust has settled, here's a quick overview of the 2012 cleanup:

Gill and I were pretty pleased at the turnout; 27 volunteers showed up, despite the miserable weather forecast and what would turn out to be the beginning of golf season for the Canucks.  Once again, we used Sunwolf as a venue.  This year, we got more younger people out, and more locals.  Fergies Cafe did up a great BBQ'd burger and beer.  Squamish District waived tipping fees for us again.  Two of the significant guiding outfits on the system were present, Clint Goyette of Valley Fishing Guides and several of Whistler Fly Fishing crew were present.  Others guiding outfits were MIA, next year hopefully...

As the burgers went on the grill at Fergies Cafe, Brian Niska and I were dropping off the last load of the day at the landfill.  The landfill tallied up our total which came out to 10,164 lbs... pretty good for 27 volunteers (that averages 376lbs per volunteer).

Thanks to everyone who came out!

Matt

Beer and burgers post cleanup

Possibly the most amusing find of the day... if you're going to illegally dump junk in the woods, maybe leave out the address.  

« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 01:08:36 AM by Matt »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 02:16:24 PM »

Good job to 27 dedicated individuals, and especially to Matt and Gill for investing their time to put on the event. The before and after photos are great. I think the city needs to have a strategic plan on preventing the same spot being dumped like that again next year. If nothing is done, it will happen unfortunately. Pull-outs like that are magnets for large-scale dumping.

Sorry that Nina and I bailed this time for the reason that you already know. We'll do our best to be part of it next year. :) I find the absence of participation by membership of different discussion forums at recent cleanups quite embarrassing and discouraging, especially when there isn't a shortage of individuals who are always so vocal about others' wrong doings.

Dogbreath

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 08:38:55 PM »

I find the absence of participation by membership of different discussion forums at recent cleanups quite embarrassing and discouraging, especially when there isn't a shortage of individuals who are always so vocal about others' wrong doings.
Sorry I had to work taking visitors to Whistler-however Tuesday I took a different group up and managed to take them to Eagle Run just below the Big Bend and showed them the beautiful (and sparkling clean) Squamish River valley-which they loved.

Thanks to all who participated.