Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carvin decoys...  (Read 6152 times)

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
Carvin decoys...
« on: March 23, 2012, 06:13:37 AM »

So I started carvin decoys to pass the winter... seems winters over and I didn't get as much done as I wanted but just finished this guy.

Made of salvaged shipping foam, burlap, tile adhesive, rustoleum (in black, white, and "paprika") and epoxy putty for the bill.   :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Carvin decoys...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 08:35:28 PM »

Nicely done and thanks for sharing. Maybe your next one will be of wood. ;D

kid fisherman

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 05:31:23 PM »

looks great, well done!

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 09:36:27 PM »

I don't know about wood... I just don't have tools for wood work (mainly I need a band saw). Just finished up this little blackjack. I sure do love the way these guys come into the decoys at full speed and practically land on top of the other ducks.

I just hand carved some bills out of cedar and it is a slow process (and I need to get some sharper tools I think)... Next up are 3 mallards in different positions, I think I made them a bit fat looking, so I will have to find a paint scheme that makes em look slim  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 10:35:20 AM »

I don't know about wood... I just don't have tools for wood work (mainly I need a band saw). Just finished up this little blackjack. I sure do love the way these guys come into the decoys at full speed and practically land on top of the other ducks.

I just hand carved some bills out of cedar and it is a slow process (and I need to get some sharper tools I think)... Next up are 3 mallards in different positions, I think I made them a bit fat looking, so I will have to find a paint scheme that makes em look slim  ;D
Nice work, looking forward to seeing the mallards too.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 03:17:52 PM »

Mallards are pretty much done. They may need a few touchups where I made fingerprints, but that can wait a while.

These are the 3 I made. Bills are a bit off, but I am sure they will do the job  ;)

And these are 3 of my dozen or so fully flocked drakes I did up a few weeks ago.  One of these were shot up, patched, shot up some more, stepped on, filled with foam, patched and now flocked... Can you guess which one? I should also mention that these are Game winner brand and a flambeau... I didn't make these ones  ::)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 06:42:44 PM by Jonny 5 »

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 04:02:44 PM »

And here's what I think will be my ringneck rig... I may decide to add more to it, but for now I think this is worth a try, and theres 6 months to think about it.