Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho Fishing on the Capilano  (Read 9258 times)

robbo1970

Coho Fishing on the Capilano
« on: March 20, 2012, 04:41:20 AM »

Hi,

Just started salmon fishing, (ex carp angler from England), and was wondering if any one had had any advice on the Capilano. I am interested in both fly and gear fishing so all advice would be appreciated.

Went a few times last year and managed one from under the highway but feel I am not doing something right.

If anyone else is in the same boat and maybe wants to pair up and share some knowledge that would also be great.

rhino

• Old Timer
Re: Coho Fishing on the Capilano
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 11:24:26 AM »

The cap is all about timing. hit it after a good rain and high tide or retreading tide. Also first light and last light are always the most productive. an hour or two after first light and the bit will go off. they are tricky fish to hook. blades,crocks,spinners and roe work well. I have never fly fished this river so not sure what would work best. i would guess small leech patters should do the trick. There is a bait ban in september and if you catch a steelhead or a wild coho it must be released. thee are summer runs in there and i did manage to hook one last year accidentally although it is very rare.
good luck.
 :)

TyCrane

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 11:53:50 AM »

The cap is all about timing.

X2

If you're there at the right time you will probably get into fish if you're using the normal stuff. For me personally some good roe has always been the go to choice when there is no bait ban.  As for the timing part, there is a camera on at www.vankayak.org/capcam which shows the current water level, fishing has been best for me when it is around 3 or 4. It's very tricky to get these guys to bite when the water is really low.

alan701

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 12:13:13 PM »

Im wondering the same. When can we start fishing that river for coho.. Mid april? Ive never been there but me and a friend want to check it out (from abbotsford).

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 12:14:23 PM »

Agree with everything the others have said. Definitely a river that is entirely dependent on tides and water level/weather. Incoming tide, anywhere above 3 on the weir cam, and first/last light.

If you want to fly fish there aren't that many great spots, but guys do very well on olive wooly buggers, definitely my go to fly if I were to flyfish for them.

When I was just starting out at that river I thought i was doing something wrong too, but the trick is not fishing there when the water is low! fish are really spooky and leader shy and will often go the opposite way when your presentation splashes the surface. If you insist on fishing when water is low, use a tiny piece of roe [pinky nail size], small hook and no more than a 6lb leader.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 01:26:58 PM »

I was exploring some potential fishing spots, and I couldn't believe how steep people were willing to climb down to try and catch a fish.  Of course the non-steep parts are full of people  :D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 11:45:06 PM »

Being there at first thing in the morning is important, especially if you are fishing with artificials.

Here are a few blog posts that I've written up from last year, about both our success and mistakes.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2011/07/27/dont-cheap-out/

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2011/08/23/an-unexpected-lucky-catch/

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2011/09/29/frustrated-by-capilano-coho-salmon/

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 11:48:39 PM »

i was at the local fish market today and i saw 1- 1/2 pound hatchery coho going for 1.99/lb....won't be long im guessing!

c-pin

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 08:55:52 AM »

Hey Robbo,

Feel free to call me at (604) 690-7472.

Thanks,  John
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 12:42:38 PM »

Im wondering the same. When can we start fishing that river for coho.. Mid april? Ive never been there but me and a friend want to check it out (from abbotsford).

In the past we've started fishing in March but with very low results. Caught my first one last year, a fat little 3 lber on April 4th. It really doesn't pick up till after Mother's Day-May 13th and then just gets better into June, July if the water is still there. As other's have said, early morning's the best and near dark. Good Luck !!!!!

robbo1970

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 09:42:10 PM »

Thanks everyone, really enjoyed reading your posts. It seems to me that there are quite a few factors to take into consideration when fishing the cap, time, tide and water level, as well as what to use on the end of your line! now cant wait for the fish to start turning up.

Thanks for your number John, I'll give you a call the weekend if that's OK. My number is 604 516 9683.

Cheers everyone

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 10:27:38 PM »

i was at the local fish market today and i saw 1- 1/2 pound hatchery coho going for 1.99/lb....won't be long im guessing!

Those are the early run bluebacks and will be in by April.  All 17.5 inches if I remember correctly.  I used to get them on small black wolly buggers under the highway bridge.
Not all those who wander are lost

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 01:36:18 PM »

I am just curious. Are there any resident cohos in the Strait of Georgia?
I have heard that Puget Sound in Washington has quite a large population of resident cohos.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 08:14:15 PM »

I am just curious. Are there any resident cohos in the Strait of Georgia?
I have heard that Puget Sound in Washington has quite a large population of resident cohos.

I don't think so.  The Puget sound "resident" population is created by holding the Juvenile hatchery coho in net pens for longer periods.  That is not done here as far as I know.  Most coho here will migrate out, but I suppose some could stay and become "residents."
Not all those who wander are lost