Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cowichan River, March 6th 2012  (Read 740 times)

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
Cowichan River, March 6th 2012
« on: March 06, 2012, 10:07:32 PM »

Back at it today and decided to take the 4 year old out today. He loves fishing and the weather was nice enough for him so set his spinning rod up with a Blue Fox spinner and grabbed my Center Pin which was armed with the Pink worm from yesterday and off we went. Arrived to the homerun to see 2 other cars all ready there. Decided to head to the less productive water at the top of the circuit and work our way down to the bottom where the others would surely be. We flogged the first couple spots with no love but the young fella was getting some good casting practice in and was listening Dad learning about reading water and where they may be laying. About a30 min of us fishing and the float disappears and the water explodes and the adrenaline starts to flow the young fella See's the Steelie leap and he is more excited than Dad he starts yelling your line is peeling and the fish is jumping Dad. This is a good fish fresh strong it runs directly across river and jumps several times and then runs straight back at me and I struggle to keep a tight line. I'm really wanting to land this as my son has never seen a Steely in person. I get the fish within a few feet of us and it goes nuts again and screams out another 30 yards and then the head shakes folowed by a slack line  >:( heart break x 2 the little guy is just heart broken. He said Dad you gotta let em run started given me all sorts of advise to much time watching all them fishing shows with me ;D. Any way I'm still happy to hook one and am having high hopes of landing one as the water is perfect today and we were off to a nice start with all kinds of good water still to fish.We proceed down river fishing all the good spots along the way. As we were hiking I spotted a few Cougar tracks and snapped a couple shots of them this got me on high alert as they were not on the trail yesterday this is the second time this season I have spotted them on this trail. Ran into a couple fellas that frequent the homerun on a weekly basis had a good chat and introduced them to my boy he of course let them know of the Cougar tracks and the Steely that I had lost that still had my Pink worm stuck in his lip  ;D. The other fellas had some luck down in the sweet spot but they also lost there battles with Mr Steelhead. We proceeded to the sweet spot knowing it was angler free now. Managed to hook a smaller sized Rainbow only to loose it at our feet all in all it was a great outing with my son as he managed lots of casting practice and had a chance to coach me on landing a fish ;D
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:14:46 PM by legend »