Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LowerManland drifting  (Read 6126 times)

KLX

LowerManland drifting
« on: March 02, 2012, 05:25:06 PM »

My favorite thing to do is float down a river with my raft and stop at nice secluded water to fish. I am familiar with WA state rivers and Island rivers but have never floated anything close to Vancouver. Can anyone recommend a good day float right now for steel on the fly - preferably with hatchery fish but not essential? Anything up to class 2.

think of it as keeping another guy out of your walkin spot...

thanks

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: LowerManland drifting
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 06:01:49 PM »

I know a few guys that will float the Vedder but they only do it when the water is alot higher. I also know a couple guys that float the Chehalis but you need two seperate vehicles for sure and good experience of fast flows, I say this because alot of the Washington state rivers are like large sloughs for the most part from what i have seen, not a narrow fast flowing canyon river like the Chehalis.

Im sure there are other rivers to float but you asked about ones with hatchery steelhead and those are your two best bets. You could float the Squamish and from what i hear its a very nice float which i want to do myself.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 07:12:48 PM »

I would try the Stave. I know it is not much of a float but you wont be dissapointed with the fishing in and around the Islands that you can only get to with a boat.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 09:29:38 PM »

I didnt suggest the Stave because if you explore even a little you can figure out how to wade to most of the islands and its not much of a drifting river when you can row back up to your vehicle  ;) lol
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

wyper

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 11:50:11 AM »

I have seen a lot of people floating the lower parts of the cheakamus and the squamish.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 10:53:22 PM »

I know a few guys that will float the Vedder but they only do it when the water is alot higher. I also know a couple guys that float the Chehalis but you need two seperate vehicles for sure and good experience of fast flows, I say this because alot of the Washington state rivers are like large sloughs for the most part from what i have seen, not a narrow fast flowing canyon river like the Chehalis.

Im sure there are other rivers to float but you asked about ones with hatchery steelhead and those are your two best bets. You could float the Squamish and from what i hear its a very nice float which i want to do myself.
X2 on the squamish and I have done the chekamus as well. Both great for wild steelhead opportunities only. Buls and bows to be had as well. All catch and release. Your timing is about right for that system as it gets good by mid to late march great scenery and not busy when you float it.enjoy!

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 07:07:00 AM »

it's possible to float the Harrison. Lots of people do it in canoes, kayaks and 'toons. The best access is from Harrison Hot Springs so you will need a motor to cross the lake and the top end of the river is slow. Access is also possible from Morris Slough though the slough is rather shallow.  Some people I know have done the Chehalis to Harrison and take out either at Kilby or by the #7 bridge. Another option is the Skagit as long as there's enough water in it. However you'll need to scout ahead to avoid log jams and other hazards.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

TyCrane

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 09:51:26 AM »

X2 on the Cheakamus... beautiful river to float down and the steelhead fishing has been pretty good recently

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 02:14:46 PM »

i will mostly likely drift the upper squamish this weekend. hopefully it has a few fish. looking to get my first fly tricked steel ;D

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 03:04:40 PM »

Last 2 times I've tried to get into the Upper Squamish I've been stymied by snow.  Hope you have better luck!

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 11:17:32 PM »

Last 2 times I've tried to get into the Upper Squamish I've been stymied by snow.  Hope you have better luck!

When was the last time. I'm hoping the road will Improve by Saturday

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 01:28:35 AM »

Last was a few weeks ago and a few weeks before that.  After the powerhouse they hadn't plowed anything and since I don't have a high clearance or chains I did not risk going further.

I find this hwy 99 webcam page to be very useful. http://images.drivebc.ca/bchighwaycam/pub/html/www/4.html If there is snow between Alice Lake and Garibaldi then most likely the same for the Valley Road.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 11:33:57 AM »

Hey Rhino if you make it up that way please post a report on road conditions!

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 10:59:22 PM »

Sorry. I didn't go as the water levels were too low for a good upper drift.