Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wading Boots: Heavy=Good?  (Read 1423 times)

Animal Chin

Wading Boots: Heavy=Good?
« on: February 25, 2012, 05:53:51 PM »

I guess I should have asked before buying, but I have a pair of Simms Freestone boots w/Vibram soles. They are very comfortable. However, they are rather heavy and when wearing them and walking around the river I can't help but think of the song "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath. It definitely doesn't help with me being stealthy and quiet while wading.

However, safety first.

Is it generally a good thing for boots to be heavy and without much movement in the soles and ankles to counteract the current and uneven terrain? In other words, is it a bad idea to go for a lighter more flexible boot and favor being nimble.

I guess from backpacking and walking on really rocky uneven terrain, I've grown use to using lightweight trail runners and can't help but think along the same lines for walking on rocky, slippery river beds and banks.

The Simms weren't cheap, and I don't want to buy new boots, so if it is common wisdom to favor heavy boots, I should just stick with what I have and get use to them. But if it's not a matter of safety and it's just personal preference, I may bite the bullet and just get something lighter.

Hope this thread makes sense.

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Wading Boots: Heavy=Good?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 06:17:27 PM »

Heavy isn't a benefit, but it can go hand in hand with durability and support.  Lighter and more flexible beat up your feet more than stiff boots.  The Simms boots will soften up a bit as they get used more.  You'll want to add cleats (Simms Star Cleats are great) if you want to get the most out of that boot.