Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trends in Renewable Resource Management in BC  (Read 1760 times)

skaha

• Old Timer
Trends in Renewable Resource Management in BC
« on: February 15, 2012, 10:28:40 AM »

--Check out the report..
Trends in Renewable Resource Management in BC
Ralph Archibald1, Don Eastman2, Rick Ellis3, and Brian Nyberg4

-as released Feb 12 of this year... in particular take a look at the section on page 18...Appendix 3. Problems with fish passage at stream crossings on forest roads

--I did not want to copy and paste as I do not have permission but the report is available for public view..

--Basic summary is the recent review of fish passage at stream crossings by the forest practices board indicated that with current funding it would take
3080 years to correct the current Known problem crossings.

--The newest excuse of managers for not living up to their legislated obligations is that is it not "within government's current financial capacity" although this may be true I do not think it should be their obligation to HIDE THE FACTS that the JOB is not being done... nor that  the 56% cuts to dirt ministry budgets is having no effect on the environment. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:08:45 PM by skaha »

StillAqua

Re: Trends in Renewable Resource Management in BC
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 06:49:03 PM »

Here's the link I think you forgot Skaha:

http://bcforestconversation.com/wp-content/uploads/TrendsinRR.pdf

What does it say about our system when our government employees have to retire before they feel they can disclose these kinds of problems to us, their employers? Getting tired of government politicians and ministries telling us everything is fine so no need to look in the closet.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 06:54:30 PM »

What does it say about our system when our government employees have to retire before they feel they can disclose these kinds of problems to us, their employers? Getting tired of government politicians and ministries telling us everything is fine so no need to look in the closet.
Yep. :'( :(

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 10:56:22 PM »

--I"m sure if they were still working... they would do the same report and give it to the Deputy to brief the minister who would bury it and fire anyone that commented on the report to the public.... every time there are cuts or significant policy changes their usually is a briefing note sent to inform the minister what the consequences may be. There is nothing to stop the minister from making the information that they make their decisions on public... however public servants are sworn to secrecy and cannot disclose the information without permission.

--I'm sure the people of Oliver don't have to be reminded of the decision government made to stop inspecting Dam's and leave it up to the permit holder to do the required checks and maintenance.   
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:06:04 PM by skaha »