Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Would you keep a mis-clipped?  (Read 44448 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: Would you keep a mis-clipped?
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2012, 01:34:46 PM »

If you can click onto the discussion forum which was dated back in 2006, you'll come across a gentleman cited for a mis-clip salmon (photo included) who was getting ready to go to court, but before he had a chance, the trooper who cited him decided to revoke his citation. Why?.... probably because the department was advised they would lose in court and could face a civil law suit for fining the gentleman and making him pay bail to get out of jail.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:56:23 PM by blaydRnr »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2012, 02:17:36 PM »

It pretty much mirrors this thread. I think we have agreed that a fish like Rod's is a misclip but that even in Oregon you could still be cited for it as a wild fish.
Here is the chart for those not clicking through:

Note that only (A) is considered legal in Oregon.

For the record, I personally wouldn't keep anything other than diagram A and B....I would even think twice over diagram 'C'  (only because of the controversy revolving this issue).

If I were to give any advice... Make damn well sure, you have a case of high probability on your side.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2012, 02:52:30 PM »

how frustrating.  >:(

after several emails to DFO Canada and several request (by them) for more information on specifics like region, city, river system, etc. and a detailed account of the nature of the debate and confusion, they directed me to contact our local jurisdiction for clarification...WTF??? I already told them of my contacts, but it seems they don't want to take accountability...It's like trying to get a dog to stop chasing it's tail!

Bulk of the Email....

Thank you for your email dated 08 March 2012, requesting information on fishing regulations relating to hatchery marked steelhead in the Pacific region.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada's Recreational Fishing - Pacific Region program provides information on recreational fishing regulations, seasons and area openings and closures, including closures due to red tides and paralytic shellfish poisoning in British Columbia and the Yukon.

In addition, the program administers tidal waters sport fishing licences and salmon conservation stamps for a network of vendors, who sell them to the public.

The program also provides information on Rockfish Conservation Areas.

The program issues freshwater sport fishing licences for the Yukon.

Please contact the office for more information:

Recreational Fishing - Pacific Region
Douglas Jung Building, Suite 200
401 Burrard Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 3S4

Tel.: 604-664-9250       (Richmond) 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Pacific Time

Tel.: 1-800-663-1660    Information on recreational licensing only   8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday    8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Wednesday    12 p.m. - 1 p.m. Closed

Tel.: 1-866-431-3474    Information on openings and closures     24/7 Recorded Information

Fax: 604-666-1847 (Vancouver)

E-mail: opscentre@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca   Information on recreational fishing

E-mail: pflu@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca  Information on recreational licensing only

Information on the Recreational Fishing - Pacific Region program is available at the following URL:
www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/default_e.htm

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require additional information.

Sincerely,

General inquiries / Renseignements généraux
613-993-0999
facsimile / télécopieur: 613-990-1866
TTY/ATS: 613-941-6517
info@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Fisheries and Oceans Canada | 200 Kent Street Station 13228 Ottawa ON K1A 0E6
Pêches et Océans Canada | 200 rue Kent Station 13228 Ottawa (Ontario) K1A 0E6
Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2012, 02:57:20 PM »

LOL...what a waste of time...They wouldn't even respond to a request I made for their best opinion and advice dealing with this matter.

What they sent me was a crock...nothing more than a directory page.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2012, 03:27:42 PM »

LOL...what a waste of time...They wouldn't even respond to a request I made for their best opinion and advice dealing with this matter.

What they sent me was a crock...nothing more than a directory page.

ditto!
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

firebird

« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2012, 11:18:37 PM »

DNA samples are being taken regularly now but as you mention Sandy, there is scant baseline data to compare this to.  No doubt there are old scale samples archived somewhere but if their storage was not optimal they may be useless for accurate comparisons. 
Are there still pure wild steelhead in the Chilliwack?  I don't think anyone can say for sure but I can tell you this - the fish we observe spawning during our enumerations certainly act as wild as any other salmonids we have seen. 

Apologies for bouncing this thread around but the paper at the following link is relevant to issues brought up by Dave and others ... http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1752-4571.2011.00198.x/full