Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Owner's Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle Licence  (Read 7649 times)

fish_on

Owner's Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle Licence
« on: February 09, 2012, 05:41:32 PM »

Keep thinking about this...and yet be on the legal side of things -  to those in the know can share their input.

This topic may be discussed already in this forum.

So here is my question: Is it a violation to make a photocopy of the Owner's Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle Licence, blank out the owner's name and address, keep it in the glove compartment?

Thanks in advance.

fisher man

Re: Owner's Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle Licence
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 06:02:08 PM »

first of all, what do you think the answer is!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 06:09:58 PM »

Sure it's legal, and probably a good thing to do in case your car is broken into.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 06:31:52 PM »

So here is my question: Is it a violation to make a photocopy of the Owner's Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle Licence, blank out the owner's name and address, keep it in the glove compartment?
As long as you are the owner, I don't see why not.  ;D

norm_2

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 07:07:33 PM »

When I renewed my insurance at BCAA, I asked that question.  She said it was ok and even made a copy of the insurance for me.  She said the originals are required when driving in the US.

doja

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 07:27:20 PM »

Better to ask the cops.... they can ticket you weather you are in violation or not.... only their opinion matters (you know what I mean). The courts truly have the final say.

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 08:36:22 PM »

I got pulled over by a cop once and I use the photocopy thing. He made a bit of a deal about it, He was saying how do I really know that this vehicle is registered to you or how do I know that this is really your valid insurance, but he took it back to his car, checked it out and brought it back no big deal. I think it is really up to the guy that pulls you over what he wants to do.

greyghost

• Poach the poacher!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 09:26:39 PM »

In this day and age, Insurance papers are a waist of paper! Every cop car has a computer on board now. Punch in the VIN and or plate # and they have all the info they need! 8) On Star! How may I help you?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 09:30:21 PM by greyghost »
Have you talked too someone for a while and thought too yourself.......
"who ties your shoelaces for you"

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 09:45:22 PM »

I asked this question when I renewed my insurance and they said it was ok as long as your name still appears on the papers.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 10:09:52 PM »

I got pulled over by a cop once and I use the photocopy thing. He made a bit of a deal about it, He was saying how do I really know that this vehicle is registered to you or how do I know that this is really your valid insurance, but he took it back to his car, checked it out and brought it back no big deal. I think it is really up to the guy that pulls you over what he wants to do.

You should ask the cop how do I know you're a real cop ? How do I know that it's a real police badge ? ;D

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 10:57:25 PM »

My understanding is that technically, you're supposed to be able to present a valid registration and proof of insurance NOT photocopies thereof.  That said, I think any reasonable police officer would be fine with photocopies or would ask you to present the originals at the station within a reasonable amount of time.

Someone mentioned police cruisers have computers.  Yes, but the law states you must be able to produce the registration and proof of insurance...

doja

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 11:04:14 PM »

You should ask the cop how do I know you're a real cop ? How do I know that it's a real police badge ? ;D

I would love to see the look on the cops face when I roll my window down "slightly" and inform him that I am verifying weather or not a REAL police cruiser and officer is behind be, however due to the "slow" process it may be many minutes and to sit tight (roll window back up, and smile).... LOL

You DO have the right to verify as long as it is reasonable to some degree (consult lawyer for exact situations and ways of doing so), heck should even be able to call the HQ while driving to confirm and avoid a ticket (may have to fight in court if cop is complete retard) as under the MVA you can talk on the phone to emergency people (cops) while driving... MVA chapter 318, sec Section 214.2  :)

Matt is right for the most part, the law is as written, however there are some exceptions to some rules covered in other rules if you read it all very thoroughly and do your homework....

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 02:07:55 AM »

heck should even be able to call the HQ while driving to confirm and avoid a ticket (may have to fight in court if cop is complete retard) as under the MVA you can talk on the phone to emergency people (cops) while driving... MVA chapter 318, sec Section 214.2  :)

214.2(b) to call or send a message to a police force, fire department or ambulance service about an emergency, or

not so sure getting pulled over and then phoning the cops to confirm that the person pulling you over is really a cop would classify as an emergency.   

Carich980

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 02:40:26 AM »

When my truck got smash grabbed the Officer said most other cops wouldn't have a problem with it as long as your name isn't blanked out and told them you did it because of getting broken into.

I'm wondering the legalities of placing a leg hold trap in my Glove box, then putting an old cell phone/papers & Change over top of it. That would be worth $300 imo.

doja

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 07:31:04 AM »

214.2(b) to call or send a message to a police force, fire department or ambulance service about an emergency, or

not so sure getting pulled over and then phoning the cops to confirm that the person pulling you over is really a cop would classify as an emergency.  

Flashing lights = emergency.... :-\

e·mer·gen·cy  (-mûrjn-s)
n. pl. e·mer·gen·cies
1. A serious situation or occurrence that happens unexpectedly and demands immediate action.
2. A condition of urgent need for action or assistance:

I'm no lawyer (should have been tough) but seems reasonable to some degree... Can also think of several police impersonation issues that have come up in the past. A girl,  16 I believe,  was abducted by a man who impersonated a police officer in Alberta.... These things do occur...

4 genuine police uniforms were sized from a Langley property around 2009 along with allot of stolen stuff... Hmmmm.

Also guy in Vancouver was driving a movie prop undercover police car that was real enough to warrant police action. However he was NOT in violation of the law as I believe it went to court. Not much to stop him from pulling someone over for bad intentions.... possibly with YOUR daughter!

If the government can be paranoid about people why can't the people be paranoid about them.... I surely believe that a person carrying a GUN who is approaching me entitles me to some rights of process to ensure he is who he is!

PS, if I believed and had reasonable suspicion, even though I don't see the need for reasonable suspicion, I would NOT pull over until satisfied. If pulled over I may also be able to cite section 214.2(a), however i am not sure at the moment as to definition of "roadway", and don't care, LOL, going for breakfast now.

glx, are you not a police officer, yet?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 07:52:36 AM by doja »