Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: snakehead  (Read 5551 times)

rocky

snakehead
« on: February 07, 2012, 12:55:03 PM »

watched amazing monster fish show on t.v. dealing with snakeheads. these fish are invading the u.s. and taking over.
went to yohan centre last weekend and what do i see in the live fish tank? you got it, snakeheads.
the thought that went through my mind was, what if some idiot released them into our system
and the absolute chaos that would ensue. i am wondering about the legality of selling these fish
and are they killed before purchase or do the customer take them away live? if they do it is a
ticking bomb. maybe you can shed some light on this rodney.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Re: snakehead
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:03:46 PM »

They have been selling it for years ,( Live or frozen.).  I didn't know these fish are invading the u.s. and taking over until i watched the amazing fish show on tv too.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 05:43:06 PM »

Last year some volunteers from KEEPs found a Gar fish along the banks of the Kanaka creek. They believe it to be someone's pet that they no longer wanted and they released it into the creek. Of course conditions in the creek where not suitable for the fish and it died but could you imagine if it would of survived. What a mess that would of been.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 07:24:48 PM »

That show " river monsters" is pretty interesting. It is mind boggling how easy it is for an invasive specie to take over in such a small time period. All it takes is one  person...

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »

I think our water might be a bit too cold for snakehead. I think most of the invasions are in states with hot weather.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 07:53:11 PM »

I think our water might be a bit too cold for snakehead. I think most of the invasions are in states with hot weather.

Not so...

The northern snakehead survives in a wide range of habitats including wetlands, vegetated ponds, swamps, and slow-moving streams with water temperatures ranging from 32ºF to 86ºF, including waters that are covered in ice.
quoted in seagrant.psu.edu/publications/fs/snakehead2007.pdf
Not all those who wander are lost

YetiHunter

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 10:04:52 PM »

From what I understand it is a cultural/religous problem...some people believe that releasing a captive creature into the wild will give them good karma. So they buy these fish at the store and let them go in a local waterway, in order to do a good deed.

And yeah...love RiverMonsters, it's a great show.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 10:52:54 PM »

Snakeheads are not okay. I would cry if they became a problem in BC, lol. Love that show though.

fishgutz63

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 09:40:10 AM »

here we are all worried about bass with this type of mentality of realeasing live snakeheads into local waterways for cultural/religous beliefs for good karma  >:( is going to be a big irreversible problem all i got to say to y'all is go out and enjoy fishing  all species of fish we have now because theres a snakehead coming soon to a waterway near you. >:(
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 09:57:42 AM by fishgutz63 »

Zackattack

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 01:12:32 PM »

haha I freaked out when I saw this thread since I just watched that show too!
Did you also see those carp that have taken over that river in the states and are knocking people out of their boats cuz theres so many? freaky stuff + hope it never happens here

thats also freaky that there was a gar found!even freakier if u got that at the end of your line around here
ya maybe somebody didnt know better and thought that they lived here and released it for whatever reason..

brownmancheng

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 01:30:03 PM »

And yeah...love RiverMonsters, it's a great show.

"I'm Jeremy wade!!!"

Love when he sets up his rod and looks down the guides like it's his rifle. Lol priceless

Bandit420

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 05:05:59 PM »

Snakeheads and Gar are legal to sell here entirely because our climate is too harsh for them(too cold and drastic changes in water temp). In the lower parts of the continent where temp is less drastic is where,the problems with indiginous wildlife is more likely to occur is why they are illegal to possess or sell. I have been in the aquarium hobby for many years and have owned snakeheads and currently have an needlenose gar and I know for a fact that these fish would NOT survive in our climate othwrwise they would not be legal to sell them in the local fish shops. 
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

Bandit420

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 05:16:33 PM »

And yes snakeheads are scary but Wolf fish are terrifying! :)
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 06:31:53 PM »

Snakeheads and Gar are legal to sell here entirely because our climate is too harsh for them(too cold and drastic changes in water temp). In the lower parts of the continent where temp is less drastic is where,the problems with indiginous wildlife is more likely to occur is why they are illegal to possess or sell. I have been in the aquarium hobby for many years and have owned snakeheads and currently have an needlenose gar and I know for a fact that these fish would NOT survive in our climate othwrwise they would not be legal to sell them in the local fish shops. 

In words of Dr. Ian Malcolm, "Life Finds a way."
Not all those who wander are lost

rockfisher

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 12:12:03 PM »

bandit, you are wrong. the northern snakehead can survive cold, as a matter of fact it's territory extends to siberia
as mentioned on river monsters.