Advanced search  

Poll

Bearing or Bushing

Bearing
- 9 (24.3%)
Bushing
- 28 (75.7%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Milner cp reel  (Read 7977 times)

coho killer

Milner cp reel
« on: January 21, 2012, 03:17:18 PM »

Hello, I was wonder what the pro's and con's were for bushing or bearing. For the Milner KingPin.

Thanks guys

Nitroholic

Re: Milner cp reel
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 04:21:10 PM »

It's called the kingfisher, kingpin is a different brand

cohoaaron

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 04:25:56 PM »

Bushings last forever and are extremely easy to maintain IMO.....ball bearing reels may spin forever but a well broken in bushing reel will spin just as well.. I personally would go with a bushing reel.
I cant realy think of any cons of a bushing reel besides the fact that you have to break it in for it to spin forever
Cons for a ball bearin reel are..they will eventually wear out, the start up inertia is ussually slightly slower than a broken in bushing reel and ball bearing reels are harder to maintain IMO.....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 04:31:23 PM by cohoaaron »

coho killer

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 04:43:08 PM »

Sorry I meant kingfisher

paul1971

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 04:51:26 PM »

You cant go wrong with a bushing kingfisher great reels that only get better with time. Highly recomended

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 05:08:55 PM »

just to correct u aaron i find the bushing start up slower maybe thats cus i have upgraded ball bearingss but none the less ive fished bith the bushing for one year the bearing ever since and honestly i refer the bearing. btw my bushing was worn in so it span forever
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

cohoaaron

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 05:16:30 PM »

Ya thats just my opinion..your probably right though

Stealth

• Steve Kaye Sportfishing
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 05:53:42 PM »

Having fished both bearing and bushing reels for over 20 years I can tell you that bushings do wear out and I much prefer bearings.
I had John Milner make me a custom 5 inch Kingfisher bearing reel last year and it is  awesome.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 07:44:10 PM by Stealth »

opwins

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 07:28:15 PM »

I have 3 kingfishers all in bushing and they are the smooth and silent.  All reels will wear out just maintain it properly, I oil and clean mine after every fishing trip.  The new bearings out there are impressive some are sealed others need to be oiled occasionaly but both choices will serve you well just dont dip your reel in the water people do it all the time but thats where your problems start......

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 05:22:00 AM »

Best benefit of the bushing is if you get dirt or sand in it, just pull apart, wash in the river and your back casting immediately. Don't forget to reoil it when you get home.
Bushings do wear out though, I sent my old kingfisher back to John Milner and he fixed it back up for me for very reasonable costs, like new again.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

Mrjami

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 06:02:13 PM »

I like the bushing for they are easier to cast in tight areas and easy to clean well I guess you don't need to clean a sealed bearing but that's just what I think

cohoaaron

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 10:46:57 PM »

I would go with a bushing...wont let you down and easy to clean

Zach Sanchioni

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 01:18:11 AM »

Bearing reels are much less maintenance than most west coasters seem to think. I have had 6 bearing reels, some for as long as 8 years that have never been cleaned or oiled. I have friends back in Ontario who have had reels for over 20 years with literally no maintenance. Bearings are meant to spin at HIGH speeds for LONG periods of time. What we put them thru in fishing is nothing. Its the equivalent of having a 10 year old car with 35,000km on it. In ten years you could have driven 300,000km and it would still me running fine. The bearings used in CP's aren't designed specifically for CP's and can handle WAY more than we put them thru. That being said a bushing reel will cast nicer with the swing style of casting that is most common out west but will get "sloppy" over time as it wears. Ever hear someone take a cast with an old bushing reel and hear it rattling? Thats the play in the spool from years of fishing. A bearing reel has more of a tendency to over run during the cast, but an experienced angler should have no trouble at all. I have gotten dirt in all of my bearing reels at one time or another and all were cleaned by swishing them in the river as easily as any bushing reel. The bearings in any reel I have seen are SEALED, dirt can't get in. It can only get in around the spool, just the same as it can in a bushing reel. One pro of a bearing reel is there in no real break in time required, and it will have better start up inertia than a bushing but that is irrelevant on the faster flows of the west coast IMO. Another pro is that when a bushing wears out it requires being sent in for a major over haul and replacement of the bushing, a bearing reel you just need to buy new bearings (when and if that occurs) for $20-60 and pop them in, in most cases. In any case, either should do you just fine as both are fantastic designs and have stood the test of time.