Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Border guards met Don Staniford today with plans to deport him.  (Read 65454 times)

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
Re: Border guards met Don Staniford today with plans to deport him.
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2012, 01:17:40 PM »

You want it to be a muzzling but I see it as more about truth.

It is hard to have a debate with you when you are exaggerating everything so extensively. 
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2012, 03:38:53 PM »

You want it to be a muzzling but I see it as more about truth.

It is hard to have a debate with you when you are exaggerating everything so extensively. 

Which of Staniford's statements don't have any truth in them?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2012, 04:24:03 PM »

Everyone here seams to agree that that salmon farms have an effect.  The truth is not so black and white as you may prefer it to be.  Based on your principle use of truth we should move vancouver, stop farming fields near rivers, stop driving cars...the list goes on and on.  How do you feed yourself under those rules of engagement.  My point is you exaggerate every item that suits your cause.  Your level of Zero tolerance if applied to most of our daily lives make nothing possible.  I could go on and on of examples but I think most people can figure it out. 
  The only thing I can suggest to you to help you understand this is that you have yourself a personal zero tolerance week where for 1 week you use and eat nothing that has an impact on the environment period.  I am pretty sure you will find yourself out in the mountains, naked, frozen solid in the dark on your first night.  Maybe you would get it then but I doubt it. 

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2012, 05:04:02 PM »

Everyone here seams to agree that that salmon farms have an effect.  The truth is not so black and white as you may prefer it to be.  Based on your principle use of truth we should move vancouver, stop farming fields near rivers, stop driving cars...the list goes on and on.  How do you feed yourself under those rules of engagement.  My point is you exaggerate every item that suits your cause.  Your level of Zero tolerance if applied to most of our daily lives make nothing possible.  I could go on and on of examples but I think most people can figure it out. 
  The only thing I can suggest to you to help you understand this is that you have yourself a personal zero tolerance week where for 1 week you use and eat nothing that has an impact on the environment period.  I am pretty sure you will find yourself out in the mountains, naked, frozen solid in the dark on your first night.  Maybe you would get it then but I doubt it. 

so if everyone agrees that salmon farms have an effect, why would Mainstream try and muzzle Staniford?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2012, 05:32:39 PM »

Which of Staniford's statements don't have any truth in them?

Ummmm....as soon as he opens his mouth... ;D
Take the T out of Morton.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2012, 06:35:45 PM »

so if everyone agrees that salmon farms have an effect, why would Mainstream try and muzzle Staniford?

The bottom line is that stanfords statements are obviously not true to the extent that you and he present them to be.  This zero tolerance exhibited by you both can be inflicted on most food products we all consume everyday.

Even honey is bad.http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/grocery-store-honey-not-actually-honey.html

You can search for problems with pretty much any food and find problems with it.  This is why I wonder how you are surviving.  Maybe you are living off walnuts cuz for the life of me I could not find any problems with walnuts except for the fact that they don't really fall into the shop local only tolerance and no small farmer makes money off them.  There is even little talk about PCB's in walnuts but I bet there is.  You better stop eating them just in case.

Let me know how your zero impact week goes or are you waiting for summer just to bump up your odds of surviving the first night.

Don sure seems to be using a softer quieter voice in his videos these days.  Can't help but to wonder why. 

You can call it a muzzling all you want but mainstream just wants him to quit with the cigarette comparison because it is totally not true. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2012, 06:43:21 PM »

The bottom line is that stanfords statements are obviously not true to the extent that you and he present them to be.  This zero tolerance exhibited by you both can be inflicted on most food products we all consume everyday.

Even honey is bad.http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/grocery-store-honey-not-actually-honey.html

You can search for problems with pretty much any food and find problems with it.  This is why I wonder how you are surviving.  Maybe you are living off walnuts cuz for the life of me I could not find any problems with walnuts except for the fact that they don't really fall into the shop local only tolerance and no small farmer makes money off them.  There is even little talk about PCB's in walnuts but I bet there is.  You better stop eating them just in case.

Let me know how your zero impact week goes or are you waiting for summer just to bump up your odds of surviving the first night.

Don sure seems to be using a softer quieter voice in his videos these days.  Can't help but to wonder why. 

You can call it a muzzling all you want but mainstream just wants him to quit with the cigarette comparison because it is totally not true. 

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100219/bc_ctv_investigates_food_fish_100219/20100304

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2012, 06:46:50 PM »

So, uh, how much money are you (Chris, alwaysfishin,Troutbreath, etc) donating to defend this guy?
Anyone?
Lets put it this way, more than you and some others here. ;D ;D ;D

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2012, 07:16:30 PM »

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100219/bc_ctv_investigates_food_fish_100219/20100304

The video's did not mention that farm salmon is substantially lower in cholesterol.  They also didn't say that eating farmed fish is similar to smoking cigarettes.  Hmmm?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2012, 08:08:27 PM »

The video's did not mention that farm salmon is substantially lower in cholesterol.  They also didn't say that eating farmed fish is similar to smoking cigarettes.  Hmmm?

They didn't want to offend the cigarette companies....   ;D

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2012, 09:28:05 PM »

The video's did not mention that farm salmon is substantially lower in cholesterol.  They also didn't say that eating farmed fish is similar to smoking cigarettes.  Hmmm?

with that logic, eating non of it, should be even healthier .
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2012, 10:58:30 PM »

Okay, let me see if I've got this one straight.  Staniford conducts a campaign against global Norwegian salmon farming, claiming, among other things, that farmed salmon causes cancer (like cigarettes) and suggests, through his use of mock cigarette packs, that salmon companies should be warning consumers of the dangers (like the cigarette companies do).  Mainstream Canada and its parent Cermaq are offended by his campaign and launch a civil defamation suit against him, arguing that his claims (like those mentioned above) are false and have caused harm to the company's image. In the proceedings so far (1 week of testimony), the ads shown in exhibits do not mention the company at all (only the Norwegian flag and coat of arms appear in the ads linking the campaign to Cermaq, Mainstream's parent company, which is partly owned (48%) by the Norwegian government), and the defense has presented peer a reviewed article in leading scientific journal that concludes that "In considering cancer risks only from PCBs, dieldrin, and toxaphene, use of the USEPA approach triggered very stringent advisories against frequent consumption" in the amount of 1 meal for every 2 to 4 months, depending on the country of origin, which was at least "an order of magnitude higher in farmed and market samples than in wild Pacific salmon."  To which the plaintiff's witness, Dr Gallo admitted there was a "scientific controversy" over the data, and that while he did not agree with their (Huang et al.) interpretation of the data, he admited that "no reasonable scientist would argue with the data."

So tell me, where was the defamation against Mainstream/Cermaq committed?

Works Cited

Huang et al., "Consumption advisories for salmon based on risk of cancer and noncancer health effects,"  Environmental Research, 101 (2006) 263–274.

BTW - I have not donated anything to his defense, and in reading the complaint against Staniford, and the judge's ruling against his attempts to get the case expanded to essentially put the salmon farming industry on trial, I found it all quite damaging to him.  It all seemed to be a slam dunk to Cermaq...if they could prove he lied.  Now, I am intrigued that Cermaq would really want all this to come out in court.  I mean, what if the court finds that Staniford did not "falsify" information in his campaign?  What if the judge finds that there is enough truth in the ads to have a defamation case thrown out?  What is THAT going to do to Cermaq's image?  All their PR and advertising dollars are not going to fix their image then, is it?  I mean, he did not even mention their company by name, but they have now irrevocably tied their name to those cigarette ads.  Truly a bizarre move.
Not all those who wander are lost

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2012, 11:53:11 PM »

Staniford doesn't claim that eating farmed fish causes cancer. He claims that fish farms are, amongst many other nasty things, a cancer. That is the defamation and a defence that eating farmed salmon increases risk of cancer doesn't really address it.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2012, 07:03:17 AM »

Staniford doesn't claim that eating farmed fish causes cancer. He claims that fish farms are, amongst many other nasty things, a cancer. That is the defamation and a defence that eating farmed salmon increases risk of cancer doesn't really address it.

Interesting...I wonder how "fish farms are a cancer upon the sea" is that different from "fish farms are a stain upon the sea?" Furthermore, the testimony in that first week seemed to be focusing on how his campaign likened the fish farm companies to tobacco companies, which willfully mislead the consumers about the health effects of their products (can the tobacco companies now sue Cermaq because their employees are claiming the tobacco companies are dishonest?).  They do not appear to be approaching the argument from your perspective.  Maybe they need you on their legal team.
Not all those who wander are lost