Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Border guards met Don Staniford today with plans to deport him.  (Read 65455 times)

absolon

• Old Timer
Re: Border guards met Don Staniford today with plans to deport him.
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 08:53:55 AM »

Any further news on the supposed deportation?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 09:00:14 AM »

Apparently right after he wins the court case....   ;)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 09:04:05 AM »

Don on Norwegian TV.

http://www.tv2.no/nyheter/magasinet/don-kjemper-mot-norsk-lakseoppdrett-3688619.html

Google was responsible for the translation......

Now, the state-controlled farming company Cermaq that the court should stop villaksforkjemperens statements.
Share with others:
Facebook Twitter
Email Share

Don Staniford fighting a hard battle against Norwegian salmon farming. Now the farming company Cermaq force him to silence. Staniford on its side refuses to stop.

- I will fight to the end. They have no right to stop free speech around the world. I lose this case, I continue my campaign in Norway. I will knock on the door of their in Norway, in Oslo.
Provokes industry

Outside the courthouse in Vancouver are a handful of protesters carrying posters. The message has provoked the Norwegian aquaculture industry.

Staniford has mainly used social media to drive his campaign. Worldwide, there are scattered around 90 images that mimic the health warnings on cigarette packages.

With the Norwegian coat of arms and the inscription "Norwegian owned" run out a strong message as:

"Salmon Farming is Poison"

"Salmon Farms are cancer»

"Salmon Farming Kills Workers'

"Salmon Farming Kills"

"Salmon Farming Seriously Damages Health"
Requires suspension

Cermaq believes the campaign is defamatory to the company's products, and require economic redress. The most startling is the claim that Staniford imposed a ban on expressing itself defamatory.

- Mainstream plaintiff concerned because of the erroneous claims about fish farming. He suggests that you get health problems of farmed fish. And he draws parallels to the tobacco industry. Mainstream says it is not true, explains Cermaq lawyer David Wotherspoon.

Stanifords defender David Sutherland believes the trial is fundamentally very interesting.

- The court must ultimately decide which of the slogans that are acceptable and which ones are not. We all hope so, but the court must decide. You and I have a very heavy responsibility to ensure that we do not create a precedent that prevents statements on this matter, says Sutherland.

- So I will end up in prison? asks Staniford

- Potentially seen.
Unable to finance the fight

While the party has engaged one of Canada's largest law firms, has Staniford problems with financing the defense. He hopes that the donations from groups and individuals who support the struggle to cover part of the costs.

- I have not had any income since May 2010. Norwegian authorities will have $ 50,000 from me. If I lose the case, I have to NOK pay them $ 200,000. But there is not much to get here. I will never pay a single cent, says Staniford.
Broad support

Around Vancouver Island, many of the fish farms to Cermaq. For years, local leaders tried to move the fish farms out of the area. The reason is the fear that wild salmon populations are threatened by sea lice, disease and escapes from the cages.

- We call him "Dangerous Don". He is dangerous for fish farming. There are not many that are tough NOK to fight these companies and the government, said the local leader Joe Martin.

He believes that the Canadian government has ignored indigenous rights including the Charter of the United Nations resolutions. They see it as extremely provocative that the government wants farming operations to grow in scope. The case against Don Staniford is important to clarify how the game should be pursued.

- If the prisons Don, we will fill the prisons, says one of the leaders of TLA-o-qui-AHT-stem, Terry Dorward.

- Do you believe it?

- I know. If government and industry do not listen, so we must stop these farms.
If growth

In the summer of 2010 about 5000 people took part in a demonstration against the Norwegian fish farms. Indigenous, local fishermen, the tourist industry, families and environmentalists joined together to demand action. But little happened.

In the town of Squamish, in an area that has always lived by wilderness tourism, the federal Minister of Canadian fisherman on tour with a local parliamentarian.

The area was known for its many rivers and wildlife. For 20 years they have every year on record how many eagles there are in the areas, but the last seven years, the incidence gone steeply downhill.

Politicians are interested in listening to the local population experiences and concerns, but will not have the media present at the meeting.

TV 2 wants to interview the minister about the situation, but are politely declined. Only when the questions concern the investment security, he stops for a moment on the way into the car.

- Sir, the Norwegian investment in Canada, are they safe?

- Investment in primary industry is important for the country, just like wild salmon is important. We must understand that the aquaculture sector is important for Canada.

- It seems as if it damages nature and animals?

- I will not say.

- What about the case against Staniford?

- Thank you, 'he says before he slams the door.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 09:18:13 AM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 09:56:51 AM »

Thanks for the translation AF. ;D

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 12:58:55 PM »

Apparently right after he wins the court case....   ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I take that to mean that you're not aware of further confirmation by sources other than Staniford himself.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 07:23:14 PM »

This deportation thing is starting to smell a bit like the farmed Atlantic's supposedly found and purchased by a Morton supporter in the Superstore in Campbell River ::)
Again, kudos to whoever is the mastermind behind this media manipulation ... certainly got me going!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 08:54:39 PM »

Again, kudos to whoever is the mastermind behind this media manipulation ... certainly got me going!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 09:24:09 PM »

This deportation thing is starting to smell a bit like the farmed Atlantic's supposedly found and purchased by a Morton supporter in the Superstore in Campbell River Roll Eyes

I am wondering about this myself.  Probably pumped up the donations a bit.  Funny how he stopped working in May 2011 and states he has no intention of paying any fines if convicted. 

Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 03:12:10 AM »

Its funny, I just wasted 20 minutes going through  Dumb Stanifords facebook page and only saw mention once of his deportation woes, but boy he sures a begging for the cash. Reminds me of a quote from Forrest Gump, and Ill leave you to figure out which one.
Take the T out of Morton.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 10:16:09 AM »

Given the rules for visitor's and work permits, Staniford's comments that he hasn't worked since May 2010 and has no financial resources and the fact that he has somehow been covering his costs of living, it is quite possible that he is in violation of the rules and subject to deportation, a fact that would come out, as was pointed out earlier, when he got involved with the legal system this time.

It is quite interesting that no media picked up on Staniford's facebook comment and that Staniford himself shut right up about it. No doubt, if it is true, that Staniford saw this as a good opportunity to raise even money by presenting himself as the righteous but downtrodden victim of a system out to railroad him.

I suspect that his lawyer's first response, should the claim actually be true, would be to shut him up and tell him he wasn't doing himself any favours by complaining of being treated badly for flaunting the law. Any statements he made now would likely affect the outcome of prospective deportation proceedings. Staniford, now running scared in spite of his bravado and bluster, obviously would recognize the merits of that suggestion though he wasn't smart enough to restrain himself from saying that he wouldn't pay any judgments obtained against him. Truly an ethical man!

I'm also curious what that "$50,000 dollars the Norwegian government would have" as noted in the translated article refers to. I'm wondering if he moved here to avoid paying some previous judgment against him that will be enforceable once he returns to Europe.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 10:36:40 AM »

Ya, they sure are quiet.  Seems like he is following his PR rule "when in a hole, stop digging" as he states on CBC radio @ 2:10 in this utube clip:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMFQfjvbgfU&feature=youtu.be

Guess I was wrong about the media blitz that would follow this but I guess when the judge said he would not allow this case to be a grandstand for anti-global aquaculture, he meant it.  Bumber for Don.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:40:17 AM by aquapaloosa »
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 11:44:05 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnWf1sQkjY

.........Jizz in My Pants..................?

The new battle hymn of the anti-salmon farm forces?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2012, 12:21:38 PM »

Given the rules for visitor's and work permits, Staniford's comments that he hasn't worked since May 2010 and has no financial resources and the fact that he has somehow been covering his costs of living, it is quite possible that he is in violation of the rules and subject to deportation, a fact that would come out, as was pointed out earlier, when he got involved with the legal system this time.

It is quite interesting that no media picked up on Staniford's facebook comment and that Staniford himself shut right up about it. No doubt, if it is true, that Staniford saw this as a good opportunity to raise even money by presenting himself as the righteous but downtrodden victim of a system out to railroad him.

I suspect that his lawyer's first response, should the claim actually be true, would be to shut him up and tell him he wasn't doing himself any favours by complaining of being treated badly for flaunting the law. Any statements he made now would likely affect the outcome of prospective deportation proceedings. Staniford, now running scared in spite of his bravado and bluster, obviously would recognize the merits of that suggestion though he wasn't smart enough to restrain himself from saying that he wouldn't pay any judgments obtained against him. Truly an ethical man!

I'm also curious what that "$50,000 dollars the Norwegian government would have" as noted in the translated article refers to. I'm wondering if he moved here to avoid paying some previous judgment against him that will be enforceable once he returns to Europe.

Or........                         

It was a failed attempt by the government to try and rattle him. After the initial shock of being confronted by immigration in the hallway, Don decided to set it aside and focus on the trial.

Hard to believe that Absolon is resorting to spreading silly conspiracy theories...  when he prides himself on backing everything with science.  ::)

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2012, 12:41:24 PM »

What conspiracy theories am I spreading? Suggesting the government is trying to rattle him sounds more like spreading a conspiracy theory.

Since Staniford raised the subject and then abandoned it, it's hard to know what to make of it. I'm doing nothing more than looking at different ways the known facts fit together and wondering which is correct.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 12:43:05 PM by absolon »